alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description

Author Topic: Technique for Posting Pictures Successfully  (Read 8186 times)

Offline furu

• Senior Contributor
Technique for Posting Pictures Successfully
« on: December 22, 2017, 03:37:52 PM »
Over in a post titled Taper Sawn Lap Siding I was asked by Jay

So how did you get such great pictures uploaded?
Please describe the step by step. Thanks!

It has taken a bit of time to put together anything that I was willing to post as to a "how to tutorial" but here goes.   
No matter how many times I have gone through it to check for glaring errors and anomalies I know that there are going to be something that will not work. 

Please PM me or something so I can tweak the description so that it is more clear. 
I am sure that Kirk can open up the "edit option" time-frame a bit longer than normal if there are things that I need to modify. 

The next post will describe how I resize the picture so that it meets the size requirement for the forum. 
The following will be how to upload and use the photo in a post.

I looked at the XAT compression utility as I know Jay and others here use it but I was not satisfied with the control of getting just what I wanted plus it seems that the version available now is a trial for 30 days then they want you to pay.   The program I use gives me a much control as I want as to exactly the size of the file and has been free for use. Additionally I like the quality of the pictures better but that is my opinion only.

I will continue to play with XAT and if I can get to do exactly what I want I will add it later.
Integrity is not just doing the right thing.
Integrity is not just doing the right thing when no one is looking.
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one else will ever even know.

Offline Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is watching!

Offline furu

• Senior Contributor
Re: Technique for Posting Pictures Successfully
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2017, 02:54:29 PM »
In another post I was asked how I did my pictures in the forum so here goes:

Most/all of the pictures we take with our electronics (Phone/Tablet/SLR) result in pictures that exceed the size allowed in the forum.
I have been using Irfanview a picture compression program. 
There is a version 4.5 out but I have been using 4.28. 

Irfanview Download link

Start the Irfanview program and then click on the drop down menu ”File” then click on “Open” and then select the file to open from your computer file structure

Once the file is open use drop down menu “Image” and click on “Size/Resample”

A new box appears.  In the right half of the box there are buttons for dimension (pixel) choices.  Select 800 x 600 Pixels. Then click “OK” at the bottom of the box.

That returns you to the main screen with a reduced size picture.  Now use drop down menu “File” again and click on “Save for Web” There is another option for “Save As” which works but I am not showing it here. 

My description is for the “Save for Web” option.

A pop up box appear.  Click on “Compress to size” and another pop up box appears.

If the file size in the “optimized Image” window (red circle) is small than 70 kB you are done and just need to save it.
To save that click on the “File” drop down then “Save As” and enter the name and location where you want to save it.

If the file size in the “optimized Image” window (red circle) is larger than 70 kB

Put “70” in the smaller box for the desired file size in kilobytes.
Then click OK

Now you have the reduced size file. 
To save that click on the “File” drop down then “Save As” and enter the name and location where you want to save it.
Now upload it to the gallery.

Offline furu

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2017, 03:01:25 PM »
Once you have done it a couple of times it takes less than 15-20 seconds to manipulate a picture file size so that it is about 70 kB so that it fits the forum requirements.

Offline furu

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2017, 03:12:37 PM »
I will first show how to add to the gallery and then use it in a post.

I showed in a earlier post how I downsized the picture file size (kB) so that it fits the requirements of the forum.
In order to insert a picture in a post in the Sawmill and Timber Forum here is the method  I use.

First  open your “Gallery” drop down on the web site.  It is the eighth choice on the main header.
Select “Add picture”

In the middle of the page under the ads is another set of drop downs choices. Click on the “My Gallery”

I try to keep pictures in categories for organizational reasons for finding them later so I make a category that makes sense to me. 
In order to create a category click on  “Add Category”

Type in the name of the category.   Here in my example the category name is “How to Add Pictures”  Then click on the “Add Category” button at the bottom.  Now you have a category to store pictures in.

Now you can add pictures to you gallery.
It can get confusing as there are several ways to add a picture to your gallery.  I won’t describe every one.  I will describe the way I find the easiest for me. Your results may vary.

Click on one of your categories that you created and named. 

You now have a screen that shows the pictures in that category but at the bottom gives you selections for different actions.  The second and third options are for “Bulk Add Pictures” and “Add a picture”.  The first is for multiple and the second is for single picture adds. 
I use the bulk option even for single pictures as I like the format because it is simpler. 
Click on “Bulk Add Pictures” 

You now have the following page.

Put in the title of the picture you want to label it as.  A description if you feel it is necessary ( I normally do not). Then click the “Browse” button.  That will take you to your computer’s file structure and you find the picture that you want to upload and double click on it.  Double clicking on that file will auto fill in the “Upload Picture” box. 
Do that for as many pictures as you plan to upload (you can do this for a single picture if you want) then go to the bottom of the screen and click on “Bulk Add Pictures”  button.
The picture is now in your gallery. You can use it now or use it in the future.  It is there for your use or for others to see if they look at your gallery.

Of course you now want to insert that picture in your post.

Open up your gallery and go to the category that the picture is stored in.

Click on the little thumbnail picture.  Once it is big put the cursor over the picture and right click. 

A drop menu appears left click on “Copy Image Location”

Now go to your post and click on the” Insert Image button” (red circle)

In your post there appears the following: 
Put your cursor between the brackets ][  and then paste the link (“control V”)

You have now inserted the picture in your post.

If the following text is between the brackets  Note the word “THUMB”

http://sawmillandtimberforum.com/gallery/1/thumb_528_29_12_14_9_58_38.jpg

you have grabbed the thumbnail picture not the full size and it will not be what you want.  What you did was forget to left click on the thumbnail picture in your gallery to make it big.

Pretty simple except when it is not.  Have fun a post more often
« Last Edit: December 23, 2017, 03:36:36 PM by furu »

Offline Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2017, 04:38:03 PM »
FURU you are our hero! 

Thanks for the tutorial with photo explanations!  Priceless! 

Merry Christmas
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is watching!

Offline Ox

• Senior Contributor
  • Trying to learn/remember something new every day.
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2017, 05:04:09 PM »
Excellent presentation and explanation, furu!  VERY well done!  Screenshots and a step by step with nothing left to the imagination.  I'd give you a raise if I could.  Thank you for this, it must have taken a long time.  I can tell already that it will be appreciated more than any of us will ever know.  :)
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Offline Ox

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2017, 01:04:37 PM »
If I had a folder with say 10 pictures in it, can this process be done for the folder of pics one time or do I have to go through this resizing process for each and every individual picture?

Maybe this way explains better:  If I resize a folder with 10 pictures in it, will the single resize process done to the folder resize every picture inside that folder?

I'm not sure if I'm asking this good enough because when I re-read what I just wrote pretending to be someone else, I'm almost confusing myself... :o
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Offline drobertson

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2017, 01:07:31 PM »
I'm still in the soak it all in mode,  I've got this ACER laptop, windows 10,, I think it stinks,, I really never have a hated a computer before this one,  it selects, auto selects, enlarges, shrinks,  wont' copy and paste like my old one,  it just stinks,,

Offline Ox

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2017, 01:23:12 PM »
Windows 10 is a joke compared to the older ones.  It's just harder to use and I don't like it but we're pretty much forced to accept and use it.

I was using Linux Mint for a few years but grew tired of the limitations when it came to certain things that will only work with Windows like games, printers, cameras, etc.  It's great if all you're doing is internet viewing.  It's pretty much virus and spy proof because those evil turds focus their attention on the mainstream systems which is Windows.

Offline furu

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2017, 04:09:22 PM »
If I had a folder with say 10 pictures in it, can this process be done for the folder of pics one time or do I have to go through this resizing process for each and every individual picture?

Maybe this way explains better:  If I resize a folder with 10 pictures in it, will the single resize process done to the folder resize every picture inside that folder?

I'm not sure if I'm asking this good enough because when I re-read what I just wrote pretending to be someone else, I'm almost confusing myself... :o
If I understand your question correctly.

The answer is you have to resize/rework each photo individually.  If there is a program that will do everything in a folder at one time I don't know of it but would love to find out what it is.