alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description

Author Topic: Getting started and expectations questions..  (Read 20682 times)

Offline drobertson

• Senior Contributor
Re: Getting started and expectations questions..
« Reply #25 on: December 29, 2017, 07:21:05 PM »
I've sawn some very nasty pine,, but the fat lighter mentioned earlier, we as kids would head out to the low ground around the river, and work up stumps of them, bring them home and bust into kindling, then bring it up to the, at that time the (getting place?)  it was the only quick thrift around,   Roaches was the name,  they sold bout everything, even fat lighter, they would buy it from us, in bundles we bring.  Along with the at that time bottles for deposit.  You guys remember that?  nickle a bottle, the construction guys would pay us to sweep out the mess at the end of the day, and the bottles were a by product.  Cash in hand, moved by wagons,, to the local Roaches, and Winn Dixie, I'm getting off topic for sure,, but thought of these pine roots ever since having my mill, I've seen some real messy stuff, but cant ever remember sawing anything like we dug from the ground, known as fat lighter,,

Offline starmac

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #26 on: December 30, 2017, 12:52:50 AM »
I may be wrong, but I thought I only got 3 cents for bottles, I feel cheated. lol
I mowed lawns when I was a kid and bought a moped. One time the local police saw me headed to the store with two more kids on it and the one on the handle bars had a basket full of bottles we had gathered up.
They did not stop me, but later told my mother to tell me they didn't want to see me with more than one passenger again. lol

Offline Ox

• Senior Contributor
  • Trying to learn/remember something new every day.
« Reply #27 on: December 30, 2017, 11:08:33 AM »
Try that around here now and they'd put all 3 kids in jail and confiscate the parents' houses.  Things is tough here in the Demokratic People's Republik of New Yorkk.
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Offline A.O.

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #28 on: December 30, 2017, 12:23:00 PM »
So you guys are talking about ways to keep pitch off while cutting "fatwood"... what do you use the milled fatwood for?

Offline HaroldCR - AKA Fla.-Deadheader

• Old Timers Club
« Reply #29 on: December 30, 2017, 12:58:27 PM »

That "Fatwood" is long leaf pine, stronger than steel and was used for factory timbers and flooring when it was "discovered" after the Civil war. It is the most durable flooring wood of the USA, only to be downgraded by the tropical hardwoods density. Old barn/factory timbers bring Big Bux, or, at least did when we were in the loop back in 2001/2005.

Check out "Goodwin" .com or something similar. Then try to get a price list. You MIGHT even sell him wood. He never has enough. This is the guy that made us built our oversized WoodMizer mill, because of cutting prices on us for the "smaller" sinker logs we tried to sell him.

Offline drobertson

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #30 on: December 30, 2017, 03:24:42 PM »
It don't have to be fat wood to be in pitchy crap!  All I used was washer fluid and dish soap,mixed with water, for the most part it worked, this discussion could go on for ever, I say find your own mix that works,

Offline A.O.

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #31 on: December 30, 2017, 03:30:03 PM »
That "Fatwood" is long leaf pine, stronger than steel and was used for factory timbers and flooring when it was "discovered" after the Civil war. It is the most durable flooring wood of the USA, only to be downgraded by the tropical hardwoods density. Old barn/factory timbers bring Big Bux, or, at least did when we were in the loop back in 2001/2005.

Check out "Goodwin" .com or something similar. Then try to get a price list. You MIGHT even sell him wood. He never has enough. This is the guy that made us built our oversized WoodMizer mill, because of cutting prices on us for the "smaller" sinker logs we tried to sell him.

So the only "fatwood" I've seen or been told about (I'm new to this part of the country) is old stumps, they tell me after the tree dies, the sap flows down and oversaturates the stumps. That's what the locals tell me. And this stuff is SO thick with it and smell SO piney I cant imagine it being inside a building.
I do have a few longleaf pines on the property however, but not a lot of them.

I'll have to do some more research on the subject.

Offline HaroldCR - AKA Fla.-Deadheader

• Old Timers Club
« Reply #32 on: December 30, 2017, 04:14:45 PM »
If the pitch is not "set" at above 160 degrees F for 24 hours, anytime the weather gets really warm, the wood "bleeds" the sap. I LOVE the smell of Pine.

Dish soap won't touch this stuff. Spray Pam works as long as you keep at it.

The Michigan Timber Barons cut just about all the HeartPine and Bald Cypress, which stretched from Virginia to Florida and west to Louisiana, starting right after the Civil War. They laid railroads everywhere or floated rafts as long as 10 miles long, along major rivers and built the sawmills out over the rivers.

The Civil War wasn't about slavery, it was all about money and the Northern Aggression.

Offline drobertson

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #33 on: December 30, 2017, 04:26:41 PM »
I could be way off here but I doubt you AO will have to deal or saw much of the fat, that said, that fast growth pine has its fair share of pitch!