alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description

Author Topic: A few pictures of our place and stuff  (Read 6408 times)

Offline Ox

• Senior Contributor
  • Trying to learn/remember something new every day.
A few pictures of our place and stuff
« on: December 24, 2017, 02:52:27 PM »
I'm trying to add pictures using furu's tutorial.  My first time, I'm not very good with this stuff, so please bear with me.  Furu put in so much time with his picture posting tutorial so the least I could do is put in some time to put pictures up for him to peruse.  Plus, everyone likes looking at pictures and comparing/seeing how and where others live and what they have, etc.  It's neat to see how others live, I think.

1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 15 foot

1989 GMC 3500 6.2 diesel

view to the north across the holler

sawmill blade sharpening station

busy shop, not enough room for everything

new back porch

rugged timber frame style steps
« Last Edit: December 24, 2017, 03:06:28 PM by Ox »
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Offline Ox

• Senior Contributor
Re: New pics, hopefully
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2017, 02:54:43 PM »
There.  Pics posted.  :P  lol

It seems like a lot of messing around but you have to just be patient and follow furu's tutorial carefully and it all comes out in the wash.

More pics will come in summer of everything unwrapped and out doing their respective jobs.

Don't judge us too harshly, everything is a work in process and we're slowly improving and adding on and building as much and as fast as my crippled ass will allow me to go...which ain't too fast...
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Offline drobertson

• Senior Contributor
Re: New pics, hopefully
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2017, 03:04:26 PM »
Now you done gone and done it!  showing off!!  love it,, I will get there,  OX, you got a very nice view there buddy,, Merry Christmas man, will be in and out, with the fire, some grilling in blowing cold, wife making cinnamon rolls for the family members,  and believe it or not, I be cooking shrimp on the barbie! for Christmas Eve! now this is a new one,

Offline furu

• Senior Contributor
Re: A few pictures of our place and stuff
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2017, 04:06:06 PM »
You have a really nice view there. 
Your shop and my shop are not even similar.  Yours is organized and neat compared to mine.  Someday mine will get straightened out.

Merry Christmas
Integrity is not just doing the right thing.
Integrity is not just doing the right thing when no one is looking.
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one else will ever even know.

Offline furu

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2017, 04:25:29 PM »
By the way nice picture posting.
Integrity is not just doing the right thing.
Integrity is not just doing the right thing when no one is looking.
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one else will ever even know.

Offline joasis

• Circle sawyer
  • Administrator
  • Senior Contributor
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2017, 05:56:48 AM »
Great pictures, keep it up!
Ladwig Construction
Hennessey, Oklahoma
    405 853 1563

If anyone has any issues, I can be reached at the number above, anytime.

Offline Ox

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2017, 11:53:57 AM »
Thanks for the nice words.

Offline starmac

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2017, 08:34:15 PM »
Nice place and views. Several years ago I had chance to buy an oliver hoe, a little later model than that one that appeared to be a brute. It had a fuel problem so he was selling it cheap, I should have went for it.

Offline Cutting Edge Saw Svc.

• Old Timers Club
    • Cutting Edge Saw Service, LLC
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2017, 04:34:42 AM »

Ox,

Wow, Nice View !!  We have one similar, overlooking miles of mountains, but at night it is littered with cell towers.   

It also appears you have quite a bit of lumber drying and ready for upcoming projects.  For someone with a manual mill, you've been quite productive. 

Gotta love the old iron.  I'd take the old Chevy in a heart beat... rust and all.  No pics of the mill ??   :'(   ;)

Cutting Edge Saw Service, LLC -
 - Sharpening Services - Narrow Band and Woodworking
 - Portable/Custom Milling and Slabbing
 - On-Site Sawmill Maintenance/Repair
 - Phone: (304) 878-3343
 - cesawservice@gmail.com

Factory Direct Kasco WoodMaxx Blades

www.cesawservice.business.site

Offline Ox

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2017, 07:07:46 AM »
 Cutting Edge - the mill is just a black frame with a large lump of tarp at one end - nothing to see so I figured I'd wait until summer when everything's out and sawing so I can show how I handle logs and slabs, etc.  And yep - lumber's drying for the front porch build this coming spring.  Plus stacks of excess for flooring, paneling, etc.  When I first started several years ago I began with dead stand, necessary culls and just plain ugly trees and got them out of the way.  The deadstand red pine was milled to 1/2" for wall paneling and the rest (mostly red maple girdled by bored horses) was milled to 1" for flooring.  Any solid red pine went to 2x6s which is in the back porch now.  I spaced them at 12" centers for strength.  I think if a twister hit, the porch would be in one piece a mile away!

That old truck just might be yours one day.  It's got around 70,000 miles on it with a rebuilt tranny.  Frame has been patched 4 times and it's ugly and I'm not sure it can be fixed again.  But if someone found a good frame, this truck is a gold mine of very good parts.  For a man who know what parts this thing has it's worth at least a dime or two!

starmac - these old Oliver backhoes were among the biggest you could buy at the time.  They're big, strong and almost awkward to use.  But they'll just move anything that needs it.  Picking up cars?  No problem.  Digging huge stumps?  Done that.  And they're surprisingly easy on fuel - this one has a 265 Waukesha diesel.  Indirect injection with injector cups.  The injector shoots all the way across the top of the cylinder and hits that cup off center where it swirls back into the combustion chamber pre warmed and atomized.  This means you can run any kind of fuel, including heavier oils with proper pre heat.  I rebuilt this engine something like 15 years ago.  It's a 1964 and has splash lubrication to the rod bearings!  Never heard of such a thing.  Also, it's 265 cubic inch and only rated at 65 hp.  This means lots of iron for not lots of power, which translates into long life.  It's quite a large engine with lots of stroke.  No glow plugs, but has a large glow element in the intake pipe for preheat.  You need to hold that on for at least a full minute in cold temps.  This thing has always started when needed and is how I load my lo

That view picture can be misleading.  The top left hogsback is what we call Strawberry Hill.  It's our weather monitor.  When it's hard to see Strawberry in the summer it's humid to the point of being uncomfortable.  Under that is a field closer to us and it's up behind the Hoffman farm.  The farm to the right with a field to the right of it is the Denz farm.  All these things you see are on their own separate mountain and have their respective hollers around them but you can't really see that from here.  The field across the road from us goes almost straight down and 2 farmers almost died on it in the past.  Just below the edge of this field is one of two springs near me and is the start of a decent crick that runs off this mountain.  We've got switchback roads and gulleys cut from some of the cricks that'll swallow a large ship.  Love my Appalachians.  I've got pictures on my desktop of the north Alabama mountains for focus purposes and they look just like anyplace around here.