alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description

Author Topic: used Timbery M100  (Read 22768 times)

Online Ox

• Senior Contributor
  • Trying to learn/remember something new every day.
Re: used Timbery M100
« Reply #25 on: January 19, 2018, 08:57:53 AM »
It's only the first thing that's gone wrong, right?  His tractor dying?  Might be just bad luck at this point.  But it's good you have the idea that people are always trying to screw you in the back of your mind.
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Offline A.O.

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #26 on: January 19, 2018, 09:35:59 AM »
It's only the first thing that's gone wrong, right?  His tractor dying?  Might be just bad luck at this point.  But it's good you have the idea that people are always trying to screw you in the back of your mind.

Always wary...  And its a maintenance thing, if the tractor isn't maintained well enough to keep running, what about the mill? And when I'm looking at equipment, vehicles, etc.. I like to see how someone's place is kept up... gives a good insight as to how things have been taken care of, or not! And with him coming here I lose that insight.. But we'll see, sometimes stuff does just happen.

Offline drobertson

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #27 on: January 19, 2018, 04:28:31 PM »
I would not suspect too much on the negative just yet.  It's been my feeling for quite some time that many folks (maybe) even present company get the bug to saw logs into lumber.. It's a worthy venture, its' been done and will continue to be done. That said there are as many folks that dive in without checking the water depth, only to find the swimming hole not what they expected. Tractors do have their moments, usually at the perfect Murphy's Law time.  If I were you I would have some choice logs on the ready, more than enough, in hopes he leaves it for a day or two.  This would be ideal, the more you saw with it the better your will feel about the hole thing.   I'm excited for you, wish I was there, I could be fishing for  you while you saw some logs,  :laugh:

Offline A.O.

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #28 on: January 19, 2018, 04:52:34 PM »
I would not suspect too much on the negative just yet.  It's been my feeling for quite some time that many folks (maybe) even present company get the bug to saw logs into lumber.. It's a worthy venture, its' been done and will continue to be done. That said there are as many folks that dive in without checking the water depth, only to find the swimming hole not what they expected. Tractors do have their moments, usually at the perfect Murphy's Law time.  If I were you I would have some choice logs on the ready, more than enough, in hopes he leaves it for a day or two.  This would be ideal, the more you saw with it the better your will feel about the hole thing.   I'm excited for you, wish I was there, I could be fishing for  you while you saw some logs,  :laugh:

HA!, well come on over!

I have 7 logs on the ground, from about 14" to 18" or so. Two post oak logs and 5 Loblolly pine logs 8-10 foot lengths.

Now this isn't a guy that got in and wants out, he actually has 2 sawmills (so he says) the other one a little larger..

Offline drobertson

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #29 on: January 20, 2018, 07:14:35 AM »
Ten four, you may be able to get a good little mill at a the right price,  hoping so anyway,,

Offline A.O.

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #30 on: January 20, 2018, 09:16:35 AM »
Ten four, you may be able to get a good little mill at a the right price,  hoping so anyway,,

Fingers crossed..

Offline A.O.

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #31 on: January 23, 2018, 08:03:15 AM »
So an update on this...

The guy came out yesterday and brought the mill. We spent most of the day out there playing with it, only cut up 3 logs, but spent most of the day talking and going over things. Had an enjoyable day and got an education all at the same time.
I'd say I'm hooked on the sawmill thing, but not that particular one. It had a couple repairs and issues I was not real comfortable with and he would not come off his price, which was too close to the price of a new one for it to be an option.
Here's a couple pics as proof it happened...

Online Ox

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #32 on: January 23, 2018, 10:38:04 AM »
Cool - got an education and got your hands on a mill too.  Your self education has begun!
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Offline A.O.

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #33 on: January 23, 2018, 10:45:48 AM »
For kicks, I went to the lowes website and priced the lumber we cut up.. $337

Online Ox

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #34 on: January 23, 2018, 11:10:30 AM »
Nice.  There ain't no doubt lumber is pricey.  And if you have building projects, getting a mill and making your own lumber and strange sized beams is worth its weight in gold.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2018, 11:21:19 AM by Ox »

Offline drobertson

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #35 on: January 23, 2018, 12:02:27 PM »
Yea man, glad to see it finally happening for you.  Having a mill, having the pine logs and availability of pine, you could easily pay one off with a few good projects. And as Ox mentioned, beams and odd size ones,, yea, having a mill is the ticket.

Offline A.O.

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #36 on: January 23, 2018, 12:05:01 PM »
Now back to the research mode , to find one I can afford.. leaning heavily towards Woodland Mills.

Offline furu

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #37 on: January 23, 2018, 12:14:44 PM »
Sounds like you had fun, got some more information and got some lumber out of it as well. 
Keep it stickered as it dries and you will be doing well.
Hard to beat the big box stores on lumber prices for 2x's unless you have the logs for free then it is easy. 
But for any special sizes and timbers even having to buy the logs you come out ahead.
Integrity is not just doing the right thing.
Integrity is not just doing the right thing when no one is looking.
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one else will ever even know.

Offline A.O.

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #38 on: January 23, 2018, 01:04:21 PM »
Sounds like you had fun, got some more information and got some lumber out of it as well. 
Keep it stickered as it dries and you will be doing well.
Hard to beat the big box stores on lumber prices for 2x's unless you have the logs for free then it is easy. 
But for any special sizes and timbers even having to buy the logs you come out ahead.

I have more Southern yellow pine (loblolly) easily accessible on my property than I could ever cut down.. or use.. Look at the background in the above pictures.. got about 80 acres of that!

Offline starmac

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #39 on: January 23, 2018, 02:51:44 PM »
Well you is officially ruint, you will have to have a mill now at any costs. lol

Not long after I got my mill, a guy with a mechanic garage across the lot from my shop ask what in the world I had hooked to my pickup. When I told him a saw mill, he wanted to look at it. I had a log handy so set it up and sawed it out. He was ruint and planning on moving back to Oklahoma, so decided that would be his first purchase.
What I did not know for a few months, was he went and got some small logs and sawed them up on his table saw. stickered them in his well house, where there was a little heat, then built some nice coffee tables out of them, Yea buddy he was hooked.

Offline A.O.

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #40 on: January 23, 2018, 03:10:10 PM »
Well you is officially ruint, you will have to have a mill now at any costs. lol

Yeah, no doubt I be ruint now as you say.. itsa commin.. just got to find it!