alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description

Author Topic: One more adventure  (Read 7781 times)

Offline starmac

• Senior Contributor
One more adventure
« on: January 06, 2018, 03:33:51 PM »
Well I hope I have one more good adventure left in me.
We should know for sure before the month is out, whether the logger I haul for gets the contract or not, but if he does WOOHOO.

I will be putting at least one truck, probably two and my saw mill on a barge and going to a remote logging camp on the coast. The closest village with an airport is 45 miles away, but it isn't on the road system, the closest towns on the road system will be valdez and haines.

The logger wants me to bring the mill, because we will need some blocking for the camp units, and need some bridge decking for some bridges, not a lot of sawing, but easier than barging in timbers.

Offline Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
Re: One more adventure
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2018, 04:00:27 PM »
Can I help?  Oh what I would give to be able to participate in that operation!
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is watching!

Offline starmac

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2018, 04:48:14 PM »
Yea, Kirk I kinda of started this post because I saw where you were interested in a place at Haines.
I really do not know what all is going to be involved for this deal, but it will take over 20, possibly 30 to pull this contract off.
Right now I am just crossing my fingers hoping he gets a signature on the contract.

This is a 3 year project, so will be my last big hoorah, if I even last the whole deal, but one thing for sure, it will be an adventure.
Google icy bay Alaska, for the location, there is a fly in lodge across the bay, but there is pictures on the net of our side, there has been a logging operation their before, but the part we are suppose to cut, has never been logged before.

Offline starmac

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2018, 05:01:16 PM »
One thing I am looking forward to is NO DOT, no log books, won't have to tie the loads down, may not even have to load the trailer if turn arounds are big enough. My log truck is quite a bit longer than others, so this may be a problem for me.

But no worries if a light goes out or a mudflap is lost, heck I won't even have to license the trucks once we get them on site.
It will be my kind of trucking.

Offline Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2018, 08:11:09 PM »
It would truly be an adventure to do but I know it's only a dream on my end.  I have so many irons in the fire there is no way I could do it.
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is watching!

Offline starmac

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2018, 03:59:19 PM »
I just, like in the last 10 minutes, got the call, the contract is signed and we are going to icy bay, yee haw.

Offline Savannahdan

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2018, 05:38:24 PM »
Congrats.  Keep us posted and share pictures of your adventure.
Logosol  M8 Farmers Mill, Granberg 30" & 56" CSM, Husky 3120xp, Makita DCS7901, Solar Kiln with Solar Fan, Axiom AR8 CNC

Offline drobertson

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2018, 09:11:53 PM »
yee haw!  man that sounds like a bonified adventure, looking forward to hearing back from you once you get in position, you will be out of contact for a period of time?

Offline furu

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2018, 12:56:54 AM »
Good deal
Congratulations on the upcoming adventure
Integrity is not just doing the right thing.
Integrity is not just doing the right thing when no one is looking.
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one else will ever even know.

Offline furu

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2018, 12:50:49 PM »
So when do you pack up to head out?  I would guess that there is not going to be any postings from you for the duration of the contract stay. 
Taking your mill and two trucks was what I thought you had posted earlier.
Any update since the other day?

Offline starmac

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2018, 03:48:53 PM »
It looks like, as of this morning, that I will be taking my mill on the first barge, along with part of the camp and some equipment to start setting up the camp. I am only now taking one truck, and it will be on the last barge which will be somewhere around the middle of may. The first barge will be around the first. Allof this depends on how fast they get the camp dismantled and transported to the docks.

Packing for me, is not a problem, I don't need anything except a duffel bag, but will, be taking a couple of 4 wheelers, a couple of rifles, metal detector, fishing gear etc, etc. I can take a pickup if I want, but really do not see a reason too.
It sounds like the season will end sometime past the 15th of October, but I can stay for the winter if I want to.

Offline Ox

• Senior Contributor
  • Trying to learn/remember something new every day.
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2018, 09:02:21 AM »
Golly - a hermit's dream.  I'd definitely be looking into prospecting for gold.  One never know what one might find.
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Offline furu

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2018, 12:46:15 PM »
I had to verify exactly where I thought you were going.  It looks like it is just a little closer to Yakutat than it is is to Cordova but between the two.  That is an amazing area with scenery that goes forever.  Amazing glaciers and the Wrangell-Saint Elias range for a backdrop.
Rather tropical compared to what you are used to.

Offline starmac

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2018, 01:24:02 PM »
Yep, Yakutat is the closest town, and it has an airport with commercial flights in to it.