alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description

Author Topic: Favorite Hatchet?  (Read 4660 times)

Offline drobertson

• Senior Contributor
Favorite Hatchet?
« on: January 11, 2018, 06:48:34 AM »
I used what has turned out to be my favorite hatchet,(brand) yesterday, It's the Estwing with the leather grip, my previous one ended up at another's place. So my wife got one for me this past Christmas. This got me wondering, since I googled it back in Dec, I'm getting all kinds of suggestions that pop up for all makes and models, which ones do you guys have and like?

Offline Ox

• Senior Contributor
  • Trying to learn/remember something new every day.
Re: Favorite Hatchet?
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2018, 09:39:32 AM »
It's hard to beat an Estwing.  I've been eyeballing one for years now.  Do you notice a difference in the vibrations with the steel handles vs wood handles?

My favorite is an unnamed carpenter's hatchet that's older than the hills.  I'm able to put an edge on that old steel that's almost scary using nothing more than a grinder and very light pressure.  Old, old wood handle that I keep oiled at the head to keep it tight and it's my favorite.  I hang it by the mill for the summer for knocking off the odd knot that stops progress.

Second favorite is an old boy's hatchet size head I hung on a new handle and the steel is from Sweden.
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Offline drobertson

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2018, 02:33:10 PM »
Ox, I have not noticed any vibrations, and I have not used a wood handle one in so long I can't remember,  I just like the balance, and the handle grip.  My other one, and I know where its' hanging, is still in good shape,, its just painted now, haa, but it's nearly 30 years old, crazy, I reckon this one will out last me for sure,  My son had a fiskers given to him, it has an injection molded handle, but I've never used it,

Offline starmac

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2018, 07:37:10 PM »
Mine is not exactly a hatchet but more of maybe a 3/4 axe, if that makes sense. My friend has had an eastwing for years, and I have used it quite a bit, so that is what I wanted to permanately mount on my 4 wheeler. Well there were none of the 3/4  size ones in stock when I was in the buying mood, so I went with the fiskars, and found I preferred it.
Warning though, from what I now understand fiskars makes 2 different quality axes, Ido know I have seen them with some pretty cheap prices.
I went to a lumberjack rodeo several years ago, and all of those guys used grunsforth or something like that. I have always wanted one, but bucks and the fact that I have never seen one in a store has kept me from buying one. I have never got into buying online, preferring to look at and handle my purchases.

All that said just to say, you can't go wrong with an eastwing. lol