alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description

Author Topic: Any Turkey Hunters?  (Read 11470 times)

Offline Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
Any Turkey Hunters?
« on: March 24, 2008, 11:41:24 AM »
I got my permitt for Spring Gobbler.  Season opens the second week of April.  Anyone else going for a bird?
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is watching!

Offline Frank Pender - AKA "Tail Gunner"

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
    • www.TanglewoodTimber@aol.com
Re: Any Turkey Hunters?
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2008, 03:01:49 PM »
Ya, every time I go down the road about 3 miles.  We have a flock that hangs around the road tooooo much.  I told Alice I will get one for dinner someday.  She told me I would have to do all the plucking and pin pulling myself.  I said I would just skin it out.  Much easier.

Offline Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2008, 06:42:16 PM »
Yes, skin it out.  After trying to pluck one of our geese a couple years ago we said no more!  Skinning is the way to go!

Offline Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2008, 10:35:53 PM »
Season opens in the morning.  I think I am going to go out and give it a shot. 

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2008, 08:30:43 AM »
No pun intended on the last word in the second sentence? :D

Offline Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2008, 09:36:50 AM »
Skunked this morning.  Lots of gobblers but way to many hens with them to pull them away. 

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2008, 11:56:29 AM »
With a good looking flock of hens around, would you be called away by some fake sound coming from a guy with a gun?

Offline Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2008, 09:35:56 AM »
I spent all 5 days trying like mad to score but failed to pull the trigger, however it was not a waist of time. 

My brother and his buddy have second season permits which opened yesterday and after five days of learning I knew I could help them score.  We got set up about 5:30 am and the woods were alive with gobblers. 

I sat my brother to my left about 20 yards and the other guy to my right the same distance.  I was hoping to be able to call the birds in to me, thus offering either one of them a shot. 

After a suspensful morning of gobblers everywhere the woods went quite for at least 30 minutes.  Then about 60 yards into the woods I spotted a flock of Toms (8 total) sneaking through the woods.  I started the hen clucking and imediatly got a gobble response from all of them.  4 of the birds kept going away but 4 others came straight towards me. 

As they got closer I probably didnt call more than twice until they popped out of the woods 10 feet in front of my brothers buddy.  They were all clumped together so he couldnt shoot. I gave a hen cluck and they spread out and stuck their heads high and fan out. 

BANG! - Doug, Scored his first bird on his first Turkey hunt! 

Even though I got skunked, I am sure the 5 days of learning more about the sly bird contributed greatly to the succesfull morning. 

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2008, 10:35:00 AM »
Alice and I are having trouble not hitting them with one of the autos around here.  They like to hang out around one or two of the areas homes that are close to the road.  They have become a real road hazard, sometimes.  And, I do not even have a turkey caller.  Anyone have a gift to send, for me to try it out on our Left Coast Turkeys?

I promise I will try it out on our Oregon Turkeys first, then try and find some Turkeys from California and see how the response turns out.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2008, 09:29:16 PM by Frank Pender »

Offline Stevem

• Old Timers Club
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2008, 09:22:11 PM »
Frank, you'd better check with Tom McCall before you start calling California turkeys.  Chances are you'll get swamped in feathers and they'll all want to change the hunting laws,
Stevem
Because you can doesn't mean you should!

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2008, 09:31:58 PM »
Thanks for the warning, Steve M.  I think I can handle turkeys that have moved from the Southern Left Coast.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2008, 08:13:47 AM by Frank Pender »

Offline adk patroller

• Contributor
    • Hostetter's Wood 4-$ale
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2008, 07:20:01 AM »
Our Season Starts May 1
Last Spring was our first season hunting turkeys and I called a pair of Jakes in the second day.  My son got one and I was out of position and missed the second trying to swing the gun and taking a snap shot.
+

Hostetter's Wood 4-$ale