alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description

Author Topic: Sams  (Read 6801 times)

Offline starmac

• Senior Contributor
Sams
« on: January 11, 2018, 07:40:50 PM »
It looks like Sams is closing a good number of stores, including all of their Alaska stores.

I found it funny, the doomed stores were closed today, supposedly to tell everyone affected that they would be closing at a later date.

Offline drobertson

• Senior Contributor
Re: Sams
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2018, 08:50:52 AM »
Now this one is hard to believe, kinda, I mean at least around here, for the simple reason our store, albeit hour and a half drive away deals with large bulk items, which to me makes a lot more sense for folks that may not travel to town(s) but maybe once a month?  Sometimes it seems that the top folks in retail businesses, only know the bottom line, not the bottom of the oil jar,, bean, and flour jar.  They can just toddle right on up and grab whats needed for a quick dinner or dessert and be back home before timer on the oven goes off,

Offline Ox

• Senior Contributor
  • Trying to learn/remember something new every day.
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2018, 11:31:23 AM »
There's been Walmart and Sam's closings for several years now.  When asked why they always said it was upgrading the plumbing.  Turns out at least some of these were centers for mass immigration under Obama.  They would be used like a FEMA center until permanent housing was found.  It's all kept very quiet, apparently.  I don't know too much about it other than what I just said. 
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Offline joasis

• Circle sawyer
  • Administrator
  • Senior Contributor
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2018, 03:16:40 AM »
I saw WalMart build a new convenience store...you know, a super convenience type...mini WalMart with gas pumps and all. Spent 2 million I would guess. It did not perform and it was closed in less then 6 months, Brand new property.

Have to keen in mind that they can take losses and absorb bad locations as a mega business will do, and I would guess that if target numbers are not met, the store will be gone without regard for the area. Pure business.

Also, look for WalMart to make a solid move in the direction of Amazon style competition. Some of these stores will become part of the new distribution and packaging model.
Ladwig Construction
Hennessey, Oklahoma
    405 853 1563

If anyone has any issues, I can be reached at the number above, anytime.

Offline drobertson

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2018, 09:17:46 AM »
Wow, you know a simple mind like mine just don't think that way, but I can see the reasoning. 

Offline Ox

• Senior Contributor
  • Trying to learn/remember something new every day.
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2018, 10:28:07 AM »
We had one of those gas stations at Walmart up in Norwich for a while.  It was the busiest gas station around because it was always at least .10 cheaper than anyplace else.  Cars were usually backed up waiting to fill.  They closed it and tore it down and paved over it and you can't even tell it was there now.  I remember thinking, "Huh?".  Not sure how it could have gotten much busier without slowing down the state highway right there...
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Offline starmac

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2018, 03:26:04 PM »
Costco has signed an intent to lease the Sams building here, And most here consider them to be a better store, so it may just be a win win for everone.

Offline drobertson

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2018, 03:31:22 PM »
That sounds promising, I guess, I know zip about Costco,

Offline RiverForest

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2018, 07:54:14 PM »
If you get a Costco store, consider yourself lucky.  Around here (VA) they are MILES above Sams.  Much better staff (they pay better), prices set more to please members, as they make most of their money on selling memberships.  They cajole suppliers for most of the discounts/sales they offer.

Sams people here are certainly pleasant but clueless compared to Costco.  My wife or I are in both stores several times a month buying for our businesses (restaurant & farm).
Learning/listening mode works best coupled with a thick skin.  Share what you do know and what you learn when you can