alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description

Author Topic: Still cutting and drying (not underground, yet)  (Read 6858 times)

Offline Frank Pender - AKA "Tail Gunner"

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
    • www.TanglewoodTimber@aol.com
Still cutting and drying (not underground, yet)
« on: January 16, 2018, 09:09:20 AM »
I am still alive.  Sawing and drying still happening.  The kiln was down for a few weeks, this last Summer, due to the hot and dry conditions.  This was the only time in 18 years of kiln operation.   Still sending wood around the country, from time to time.   Just sent a 9' x 3" x 19" Pin Oak slab to Yuma.

Offline furu

• Senior Contributor
Re: Still cutting and drying (not underground, yet)
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2018, 11:30:37 AM »
Glad all is well.  Don't be a stranger.
Integrity is not just doing the right thing.
Integrity is not just doing the right thing when no one is looking.
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one else will ever even know.

Offline HaroldCR - AKA Fla.-Deadheader

• Old Timers Club
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2018, 01:09:45 PM »
Good to see you still kicking around, Frank.

Offline starmac

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2018, 01:11:28 PM »
Glad to hear that all is well at the home front, as we get older we sometimes get a little concerned when a long time poster takes a break. lol

What do you know about what is happening at MD mills. I have heard that they have called it quits as far as mill production, but will still supply parts.
I have also heard that they have just postponed mill production, due to an upcoming move or factory remodel or something.

Offline Frank Pender - AKA "Tail Gunner"

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
    • www.TanglewoodTimber@aol.com
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2018, 10:40:38 AM »
The owner did shut the operation down at MD mill.  Apparently his kids kicked him out of the buildings and he removed all accumulated parts etc.  I have no addition infor at this time.  I do know he was offed from teo sources to sell.  He refused.  He wanted way too much money for what was available.   

Offline starmac

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2018, 02:55:32 PM »
Well I hate to hear that, but have some questions you can answer.

If the time comes to where parts are no longer available through MD, and a guy had a 128, is there anything on it that can not be sourced through different channels or built, either at a home fab shop or easily for a machine shop.

I do not currently own one, but have lusted for one for a while, and thought I would grab one if the right deal came up and I had the cash on hand. I have ran across what I thought was the right deal before, but just never matched it up when I had the extra cash.

Offline jb griffin

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2018, 07:55:38 PM »
What is this extra cash you speak of.lol
1.5 million bdft and counting sawn on a Baker Dominator
Lt40Hyd 33hp Kubota at home.

Offline starmac

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2018, 09:35:09 PM »
How the hell am I suppose to know, never actually seen it, just heard rumors. lol

Offline Ox

• Senior Contributor
  • Trying to learn/remember something new every day.
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2018, 09:13:59 AM »
That's funny! 

But in all seriousness I don't think I've ever had cash laying around that I didn't know what to do with.  Ever.  There's always someplace for it to go because we're still in debt.  Anybody ever have this phenomenon?
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Offline Stevem

• Old Timers Club
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2018, 11:27:02 AM »
I love those mills.  They are what I broke in on.
The one part I know of that MD made/modified was the crankshaft on the engine.  They did some in-house machining on the output side of the crank to accommodate the drive system.  I think most parts are off the shelf but finding the shelf may take some work. The way they put it together is what was unique.
Stevem
Because you can doesn't mean you should!