alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description

Author Topic: Fuel  (Read 7148 times)

Offline mountainlake

• Senior Contributor
Fuel
« on: January 20, 2018, 03:33:09 PM »
 My 29 HP Isuzu  is really running cheap lately, sawed 13 hours on 5 1/2 gallons.  Sawing western cedar telephone poles about 160 of then into 1 x 6 x 8' averaging 25 to 30 bf each  All went well and the wind was behind me.  Steve

Offline drobertson

• Senior Contributor
Re: Fuel
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2018, 05:54:09 PM »
That is some good fuel economy.   It makes me want to ask about the weather conditions.  I also wonder if those poles were pulling down the governor, with 30 bdft per it sounds like maybe not.. but who cares, that's a good day regardless.

Offline mountainlake

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2018, 03:41:19 AM »

The weather was nice 35 to 40 above, and those cedar logs saw easy but I was pushing the feed rate about 60 lf a minute and no stopping except for blade changes. Steve

Offline drobertson

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2018, 07:05:51 AM »
30-40 sounds like perfect sawing conditions, I always figured those Isuzu engines would be good ones!

Offline furu

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2018, 08:51:09 AM »
Unless the poles are much larger in diameter than the telephone poles that I am familiar with how many 1 x 6 sixes were you able to get out of each pole? I figure 4 pass cuts max then length divided by the 8'. Any effort to do any smaller widths 1x 4 or 1x2 trim pieces or was that just waste material?  Planned use for fencing material or is someone planning for a cedar wall.
Integrity is not just doing the right thing.
Integrity is not just doing the right thing when no one is looking.
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one else will ever even know.

Offline mountainlake

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2018, 09:29:19 AM »

At least 5 up to around 10 on the bigger ones which were 12" + on the small end. On the wide edging flitches I'd make a cut at 10 1/2 to 11 1/2" then drop down to 7 1/2"  saving some 3 to 4" boards on the wider ones, then flip the whole bunch of 8 or 9 and cut to 6".  Worked good and didn't take long. He's sending the 1 x6 off to be ship lapped and then using it for siding on his barn.  Steve

Offline RiverForest

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2018, 01:52:43 PM »
What mill are you using, does it have setworks?

The local power company gave me a bunch of poles when they went to underground power in our neighborhood last yr.   They're laying directly on the ground, and I suppose they're safe because they're treated. I do worry about metal in them though.
Learning/listening mode works best coupled with a thick skin.  Share what you do know and what you learn when you can

Offline mountainlake

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2018, 06:23:56 PM »

I'm using a B20 Timberking with setwork. works good.  dont be sawing the heavy black treated part of the pole that was in the ground, it's nasty and makes crappy lumber, the above ground pole might be treated lightly or not at all.  A lot are western red cedar and make really nice boards really good for outside use. I'd only use the untreated ones for inside use.  Steve