alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description

Author Topic: Earthquake  (Read 9168 times)

Offline starmac

• Senior Contributor
Earthquake
« on: January 23, 2018, 01:19:29 PM »
Apparently we had a 7.9 earthquake last night. we didn't feel it up here, but it sounds like it shook the coast around a bit. As far as I know there has been no reported damage, but they had tsunami warnings as far south as San Francisco for a short while.

Offline furu

• Senior Contributor
Re: Earthquake
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2018, 02:58:35 PM »
Yes it seems like it shook Kodiak quite a bit.  Surprised you never felt it. 
The good news is so far  have heard of little damage but time will tell. 
The Tsunami alerts have all been cancelled.
Integrity is not just doing the right thing.
Integrity is not just doing the right thing when no one is looking.
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one else will ever even know.

Offline bandmiller2

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2018, 07:16:34 PM »
I was at the naval base in in southern Cal. and slept right through a big one. Frank C.

Offline furu

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2018, 01:51:10 AM »
I was stationed  out in the Mohave Desert when the Loma Prieta  1989 quake happened.  I really remember that one.  I left right before the 1994 Northridge quake which was much closer.  Went through a bunch of smaller ones in the 7 years there which were OK but in general not a fan of quakes at all.
Integrity is not just doing the right thing.
Integrity is not just doing the right thing when no one is looking.
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one else will ever even know.

Offline Ox

• Senior Contributor
  • Trying to learn/remember something new every day.
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2018, 09:13:13 AM »
I remember waking up in a quake in Anchorage in '96.  I was being rolled back and forth in my bed quite violently and I had a potted plant there in the room and I could see it shaking back and forth.  Just as I was really waking up realizing this wasn't a dream and thinking I better get to a doorway or something it stopped.  I remember lying there thinking "Did this just really happen?"  Yes.  Yes it did.  And it was only a total of maybe 10 seconds or so that I knew it was happening.  No telling how long I was shook until I woke up.  I can say it's a bit unnerving to a hillbilly from upstate NY where this isn't a normal thing!
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Offline Stevem

• Old Timers Club
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2018, 10:29:49 AM »
If you live in Anchorage or So Cal earth quakes are just a normal every day ho-hum event.  Been there done that!
Stevem
Because you can doesn't mean you should!

Offline drobertson

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2018, 12:50:26 PM »
We've been having some small tremors here off the New Madrid fault. nothing near 7.6, but some recent studies show that a big one is more than likely coming from this fault before the other 5 known faults across the country.  The last felt here came from Oklahoma, it was said the fracking might be some causes of these tremors, don't know, the fact that quakes are bad is a fact.

Offline starmac

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2018, 05:32:27 PM »
The news claimed it was felt in Fairbanks, but I must have slept through it.

Online Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2018, 09:08:32 AM »
Slept through a few while living in Anchorage in the 80's and 90's .
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is watching!

Offline Ox

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2018, 12:29:22 PM »
Must be I'm a lighter sleeper than I thought.  I remember asking my roommates if they felt the earthquake last night and they looked at me like I was crazy.  I had to get the news and show it to them to get them to believe me.  I hate being thought of as a liar.   >:(  Seems all my life I've had to either prove my innocence or prove my integrity.   >:( >:(
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Offline starmac

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2018, 02:56:47 PM »
I have had them wake me up, but things were shaking pretty good. I did not feel this one, but doubt it was movement here at all.

Offline drobertson

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2018, 03:08:01 PM »
I saw something just yesterday, online somewhere, anyway they were discussing the quake of 1812 from the New Madrid fault. The stories behind that quake still linger around the boot heel area.  I'm kinda hoping that thing just stays settled for a long spell.

Offline starmac

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2018, 03:44:57 PM »
My understanding is the thinking that any fault will eventually have another one just as bad, when is the question, not if. At least that is what the scientist claim, I do not know if I believe in all of their claims.

I watched a documentery on the 64 quake that desimated parts of Alaska, and the tsunami went as far as California.  The coastal area of Alaska was not actually real populated back then,  nor was BC, washington or Oregon. With all the rage of beachfront dwelling that has occured since then, they claimed, when, not if it happened again, it would take over a million lives.

Offline drobertson

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2018, 06:05:15 PM »
I watched one maybe the same one, and I agree, when it happens again, catastrophic loss will for sure happen.  Every time there is a flood or some kind of natural disaster me and Christy find it so hard to believe that folks continue to live in these areas that by all accounts are tragedies waiting to happen.  Folks that live on river bottoms are ones that most often get hit, and why they insist on living in a known flood zone is beyond my comprehension. I know its pretty, goes without saying, but the day will come when the pretty turns ugly, and this ultimately puts other folks, like first responders and emt personnel at risk as well.  Coastal regions have nearly the same fate. I suppose no place is really immune to natural disasters, but some places are clearly in a higher percentile of experiencing an event, all too often life changing.

Offline Stevem

• Old Timers Club
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2018, 10:26:51 AM »
Yep, not IF but WHEN.

Darwin at his finest.
Stevem
Because you can doesn't mean you should!

Offline joasis

• Circle sawyer
  • Administrator
  • Senior Contributor
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2018, 06:52:45 AM »
I watched one maybe the same one, and I agree, when it happens again, catastrophic loss will for sure happen.  Every time there is a flood or some kind of natural disaster me and Christy find it so hard to believe that folks continue to live in these areas that by all accounts are tragedies waiting to happen.  Folks that live on river bottoms are ones that most often get hit, and why they insist on living in a known flood zone is beyond my comprehension. I know its pretty, goes without saying, but the day will come when the pretty turns ugly, and this ultimately puts other folks, like first responders and emt personnel at risk as well.  Coastal regions have nearly the same fate. I suppose no place is really immune to natural disasters, but some places are clearly in a higher percentile of experiencing an event, all too often life changing.

I was amazed that somehow, the residents of New Orleans think it is the tax payers responsibility to rebuild the city beneath the sea. If you chose to live there, buy adequate insurance, and if you cannot take on the risk, move somewhere else.

I am a believer in personal responsibility. 100%
Ladwig Construction
Hennessey, Oklahoma
    405 853 1563

If anyone has any issues, I can be reached at the number above, anytime.

Offline Ox

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2018, 10:59:46 AM »
This is what I think also.  It equates to me dropping a tree on my house and taking other peoples' money to build a new house all the while knowing that another tree will be dropped on my house someday.

A good definition of insanity:  doing the same thing over and over again but expecting different results.