alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description

Author Topic: The watershed time:  (Read 5479 times)

Offline joasis

• Circle sawyer
  • Administrator
  • Senior Contributor
The watershed time:
« on: February 25, 2018, 05:40:43 PM »
We all know the watershed moment when things changed...it was Collumbine. Those two psychopaths were trying to best Timothy McVeigh in killing...and failed miserably. But that was the fist "school shooting" that started the crazies coming out.

So the watershed time is really about what it was like for us, meaning all of us in this forum who are about the same generation, and why it is different today.

When I was a kid, we didn't act up or there were consequences. My teachers didn't need to send you to the principal....they were just as effective at beating your rear end and worse still, you got a repeat at home. My dad wasn't kidding with me when the belt came off. And he never said this will hurt me more then it will you. No lie.

Nowadays, kids get medicated for attention deficit disorder and hyperactivity. They are not disciplined.

Some of these kids claim they were "bullied". Well hell...I knew kids who were bullies, and you learned to handle your problems. You didn't run and tell. I learned to fight, and if my dad thought I didn't fight hard enough, he would finish the lesson. No lie. There is truth in the idea that life's lessons need to be painful. We were accountable.

Kids today are not held to be responsible. For anything. Every pickup truck in the parking lot at school had a gun rack, we hunted in season and no one was ever shot. We were taught to be responsible. There was a merit badge in Boy Scouts for marksmanship even. Now...kids are taught that being a pansy is somehow ok.

I feel sad that my grandkids can't grow up as I did.
Ladwig Construction
Hennessey, Oklahoma
    405 853 1563

If anyone has any issues, I can be reached at the number above, anytime.

Offline starmac

• Senior Contributor
Re: The watershed time:
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2018, 08:27:19 PM »
WOW, sounds like dad had a second family that we never knew about.

Offline HaroldCR - AKA Fla.-Deadheader

• Old Timers Club
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2018, 07:21:58 AM »
Sounds like our house. I learned pretty quickly what not to do. Never laid a hand on my kids. Just the "look" was enough to keep them straightened out, plus plenty of work on the farm.

Their Mom used to get after them with the fly swatter.  ::)

Offline Ox

• Senior Contributor
  • Trying to learn/remember something new every day.
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2018, 10:33:32 AM »
I agree.  Kids nowadays are taught the victim mentality.  It all stems from the public school system, which is federally funded, which means it's the federal government school system.  Most of the teachers (I'm guessing at least 80%) are totally liberal and constantly push their political viewpoints while "teaching" our kids.  The brainwashing starts in kindergarten.  This can be opposed by having patriotic parents at home but sadly many "parents" don't care much about their kids and so don't say anything because it's easier to just go along.  Our country is dying.  It'll either die quietly or there will be a fight and a divided America.  I'm totally fine with a divided America - after all it's what the south tried to do when they didn't agree with the federal government's totalitarianism ideas.  Texas would be the first one.  They'll be fine because they have an economy bigger than most of the small countries out there.  Then others will jump on board and there will be a separate country within the country.  I'm fine with it.  If it keeps us basically separate but equal and keeps the country happier, great!  Then everyone will know what types of mentalities to expect when travelling through said different areas.  Although I see traveling papers being required.  We'll see how that comes about.
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools