alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description

Author Topic: I may be pondering a new mill geesh  (Read 19256 times)

Offline starmac

• Senior Contributor
I may be pondering a new mill geesh
« on: March 03, 2018, 10:57:30 PM »
We are getting down to the nut cutting, and should know in a week or so for sure, if we are going to do the remote logging job.
We had already talked about my mill would be useful there, but that was a one season deal. things have lately changed, and now, it is more of a must, and likely for the three year duration, which I am fine with.

The problem is I have too much other stuff sitting here that is basically useless, or at least I don't have a lot of use for it, if I don't have a mill handy, plus I think I will just plain want one. lol

I was playing at woodmizers site, on their build a mill deal, checked everything from the standard LT40 to the Super 70.

I ruled out the 70, it is super nice but more than I will ever need at this stage in life, any other is too probably, but.lol
I really like the 50, and pricewise it is not much different than the super 40, but has the chain turner and the vertical stops, which I like.
Last I checked the standard 40, there is quite the difference in price between it and the super, not as much mill but I got to thinking it is still probably more than I can outwork at the end of the day.

Realistically I think I could easily cut more lumber than a helper and I could sticker at the end of the day, in other words, I do not think I could do any more with the super or 50, because of my health and limited abilities.

I also think my old mill will clear more than the cost of a new standard, so that could also be a play in my thinking.

Mainly thinking aloud, and wandering what you guys with more mill experience think?

Offline A.O.

• Senior Contributor
Re: I may be pondering a new mill geesh
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2018, 08:10:06 AM »
Well this is WAY above my head.. but good luck in your searching!..

Offline Ox

• Senior Contributor
  • Trying to learn/remember something new every day.
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2018, 10:23:34 AM »
Even though new machinery is always nice and more fun to use (for a while until you get used to it and then it's just like anything else) money is always a deciding factor.  If it were me, and I could still use my old mill, I'd stick with it.  But if your health is bad enough that you need automated machinery and can afford it somehow, then a different auto mill would be the ticket. 

If you really want a new mill and can still run the old mill for now, and have the old mill pay for the new one, that's a no brainer.

K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Offline starmac

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2018, 01:12:52 PM »
Ox, a new one will not be really any more automated than my old one, the old one will just be where I will not be able to use it for my own use. The new ones do have a nicer , better log clamp, but and I do not have any setworks on my old one, but in all reality I can live without the setworks. Mine has hydraulic toe boards, but not the roller ones like the new ones, that is really the only differences between it and a new standard 40.

I am going to have to do a lot of thinking, and a lot will depend on how I feel when I get back, but I really do not want one of the new computer controlled engines, it may make more sense to look for a later model used mill, than a new one.
I really do not think warranty will mean much here.

Offline starmac

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2018, 03:51:41 PM »
My decision has been made, quick huh. lol

I just got off the phone with my logger, it turns out I will easily be able to mill all we need in the first season and they are going to be barging a reefer back at the end of the season, so I will be able to put the mill in the reefer and bring it home, NO NEED for another mill.
My truck will have to stay for the whole 3 years, but the mill can come home.

Offline Ox

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2018, 09:37:45 AM »
Cool.  Crisis averted!
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Offline starmac

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2018, 03:27:07 PM »
Yea, I knew we couldn't bring the trucks back every year, so I had just assumed that there would not be a barge bringing anything back, but it turns out there will be and since the mill can fit inside a reefer, it will be no problem.

Now I just have to make up my mind what all else to take to do the 8 month stint. Little things like which guns, fishing gear, and supposedly there is quite a bit of gold there, so that throws some stuff in the loop. lol

Offline Cutting Edge Saw Svc.

• Old Timers Club
    • Cutting Edge Saw Service, LLC
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2018, 04:35:23 PM »
starmac,

I'm sure this upcoming job is something you consider somewhat the norm, but...

To me it sounds like an adventure, almost a working vacation.  This is outside looking in on your description and the imagination can make things seem as it is not.  I'm sure the polish would be gone within time. Being something, somewhere new, and hard work it has a definate appeal.  But man o man... I'd love to experience it !!

If you can, please post some pics of the scenery.  Beautiful country up there !!   :angel:
Cutting Edge Saw Service, LLC -
 - Sharpening Services - Narrow Band and Woodworking
 - Portable/Custom Milling and Slabbing
 - On-Site Sawmill Maintenance/Repair
 - Phone: (304) 878-3343
 - cesawservice@gmail.com

Factory Direct Kasco WoodMaxx Blades

www.cesawservice.business.site

Offline starmac

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2018, 05:37:54 PM »
Actually it is far,far from the norm, at least for me and I consider myself very lucky if this comes about like it looks like it is.
I will be taking plenty of pictures, but if it works and my health lets me, it will be next fall before I will be able to get them online, but I promise there will be pictures.
As far as hard work, well sadly I am not capable of hard work, I am taking a young man that has been a lifesaver the last few months to take care of that for me, and he needs to learn a way of making a living. This will be an eay place to learn to drive, gravel roads, flat ground and speeds of 20 or less. My plan is to basically turn the truck over to him pretty quick, but I am sure I will find something to do to keep from getting bored. lol
The logger has mentioned he may want me in a piece of equipment, which I can still handle, but if not, I will have my 4 wheeler, rifle , fishing gear, metal detector, gold pan , etc and just have to tuff it out. lol

Are you Richard with cutting edge?

Offline drobertson

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2018, 06:36:21 PM »
Starmac, what are the plans for sawing? Meaning what dimensions and such ect...where will the lumber be going?

Offline starmac

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2018, 09:54:55 PM »
Easy sawing, It will be blocking and large dunnage for the man camp, then some planks for bridge decking. Maybe a little bit for odd and ends around the camp.

Offline Cutting Edge Saw Svc.

• Old Timers Club
    • Cutting Edge Saw Service, LLC
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2018, 06:16:06 AM »

Are you Richard with Cutting Edge?

;)
Cutting Edge Saw Service, LLC -
 - Sharpening Services - Narrow Band and Woodworking
 - Portable/Custom Milling and Slabbing
 - On-Site Sawmill Maintenance/Repair
 - Phone: (304) 878-3343
 - cesawservice@gmail.com

Factory Direct Kasco WoodMaxx Blades

www.cesawservice.business.site

Offline starmac

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2018, 12:33:28 PM »
Well Duh, I guess I should have read the tag line, being it was exactly the info I wanted. lol.

Offline A.O.

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2018, 01:58:47 PM »
Sounds great starmac, good luck to you and your endeavor.. don't wear that rifle out!  ;-)

JEALOUS!

Offline starmac

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2018, 04:51:45 PM »
Haven't made up my mind what to even take when it comes to a rifle or rifles, but if I wear one out, the wife can just mail me another. lol

The contract is not signed yet, crossing my fingers, they are getting down to the nitty gritty and sounds like the negotiating has now become a daily thing.

Offline A.O.

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2018, 04:54:05 PM »
Haven't made up my mind what to even take when it comes to a rifle or rifles, but if I wear one out, the wife can just mail me another. lol

The contract is not signed yet, crossing my fingers, they are getting down to the nitty gritty and sounds like the negotiating has now become a daily thing.

If she mails you another one, make sure she addresses it from YOU to YOU.. only legal way to mail a rifle.

Offline starmac

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2018, 06:46:20 PM »
Now you are thinking like a lower 48 stater. lol

I can sell or buy through the mail here as long as it  stays in the state. I can carry concealed  or open without a permit, can even go to the airport and board a plane with my favorite loaded gun in my holster or hands, as long as it is an instate flight, so we don't have to go through the TSA security.

I be liven in Alaska America. lol

Offline A.O.

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2018, 06:36:41 AM »
Now you are thinking like a lower 48 stater. lol

I can sell or buy through the mail here as long as it  stays in the state. I can carry concealed  or open without a permit, can even go to the airport and board a plane with my favorite loaded gun in my holster or hands, as long as it is an instate flight, so we don't have to go through the TSA security.

I be liven in Alaska America. lol

Didn't realize she was going to be in the same state is all

Offline Ox

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2018, 10:06:00 AM »
Those are great rules for guns up there!  I'll admit that I'm jealous of it.  And the freedoms you guys get to live by are unparalleled, I believe, in this day and age.

I would consider moving up there if I could afford the real estate prices.  They are through the ROOF!  I remember seeing a few years ago a little older house trailer on a 1/4 acre lot for $70,000 or so.  Ain't no way.

Offline starmac

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2018, 12:49:38 PM »
AO, yea, we live up here, and most of my guns is here too. lol

Ox, Usable real estate on the grid can be pretty expensive, actually real expensive, but it depends a lot on location. I need at least 5 acres usable acres on the grid that is fairly close, and that is hard to find, much less afford, especially the usable part, much of the land up here is not easily buildable even for parking.

Offline starmac

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2018, 11:29:21 PM »
I got some shitty unwanted news today. The contract for the remote job got put off for a couple of months, which pretty much means it will not be a go this year.
It is what it is, but it sucks, I was sure looking forward to going.
At least I don't have a lot invested, the boss has invested a bunch, and one of the other truckers just got back from Cali with two more trucks he bought, plus I found out yesterday he even sold his house, and now has less than 30 days to get out. lol

Offline A.O.

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2018, 06:54:56 AM »
I got some shitty unwanted news today. The contract for the remote job got put off for a couple of months, which pretty much means it will not be a go this year.
It is what it is, but it sucks, I was sure looking forward to going.
At least I don't have a lot invested, the boss has invested a bunch, and one of the other truckers just got back from Cali with two more trucks he bought, plus I found out yesterday he even sold his house, and now has less than 30 days to get out. lol

Well that sucks.. sorry to hear man!

Offline Ox

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2018, 10:16:16 AM »
Oh, man.  That does suck.  I couldn't imagine being those guys who sold their house, bought new trucks and all.  I'd be livid.  But nobody twisted their arm to do that, right?  They pretty much put the cart before the horse, right?

Offline starmac

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #23 on: March 14, 2018, 10:33:24 AM »
Nobody twisted there arm, infact he was advised to wait until the dotted line was signed on, but he wanted to get the log gear on them so took the chance.
As far as selling his house, I heard yesterday he may go ahead and move back to Oregon or somewhere outside now anyway. This was not his first rodeo, and this is Alaska, I have had jobs cancelled after we had already hauled several loads north and had loads loaded on trucks, we eventually had to unload and someone hauled the loads back that we had hauled north, so I never count on anythin until it actually starts. lol
I had intended on rigging up another truck, but the way it worked out I didn't have the cash, and didn't want to be in debt.

Offline A.O.

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #24 on: March 14, 2018, 10:36:09 AM »
Nobody twisted there arm, infact he was advised to wait until the dotted line was signed on, but he wanted to get the log gear on them so took the chance.
As far as selling his house, I heard yesterday he may go ahead and move back to Oregon or somewhere outside now anyway. This was not his first rodeo, and this is Alaska, I have had jobs cancelled after we had already hauled several loads north and had loads loaded on trucks, we eventually had to unload and someone hauled the loads back that we had hauled north, so I never count on anythin until it actually starts. lol
I had intended on rigging up another truck, but the way it worked out I didn't have the cash, and didn't want to be in debt.

So I'm an idiot but am figuring this out now. The "truck" you said you would have to leave up there was a logging truck , Yes??  So you drive truck for a living ??