alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description

Author Topic: First post and a Logosol M8 on the way  (Read 8368 times)

Offline ibwaldo

• New Contributor
First post and a Logosol M8 on the way
« on: March 09, 2018, 10:28:01 PM »
Hello everyone, I am taking the plunge into a new hobby with a Logosol M8 chainsaw mill.  I'm hoping I made the right choice in my mill and any feedback, tips, tricks, or advice from anyone that has used one would be great!  I just picked up a new Stihl MS 661 C-M chainsaw with a 25" bar that will mostly live in the mill.  I will be getting some rip chains sometime next week as my local dealer needs to order them.

Right now my plans for the mill are to get familiar with it by playing around and making some dimensional lumber out of the common to Oklahoma trees.  Latter I plan on making resin top tables as a hobby with my soon to be wife.  She is by far the more creative one and will be the driving force for us to spend some quality time together and maybe end up with a self sustaining hobby that keeps us out of trouble (we can all dream right?).

I have to admit up front that I am new to woodworking and have never even seen a small mill like I have coming my way in person...  So, please point me to places where I can learn the proper terms for milling. That way I will understand the advice that is given and don't worry if you feel as though you are talking down to me, I need to learn somehow!  Do any members have a similar mill?  If so, I'm all ears to make sure I get the most out of my investment! 

Thanks for any thoughts, advice, and tips.  I'm actually really excited to begin a new hobby.
Logosol M8 chainsaw mill
Stihl chainsaws:
  MS 261 C-M
  MS 461
  MS 661 C-M

Offline joasis

• Circle sawyer
  • Administrator
  • Senior Contributor
Re: First post and a Logosol M8 on the way
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2018, 05:49:57 AM »
Welcome to the club!
Ladwig Construction
Hennessey, Oklahoma
    405 853 1563

If anyone has any issues, I can be reached at the number above, anytime.

Offline furu

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2018, 06:00:22 AM »
Yes welcome. 
I am not up on CSM's and the necssary techniques but you will have fun that is for certain.
Integrity is not just doing the right thing.
Integrity is not just doing the right thing when no one is looking.
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one else will ever even know.

Offline A.O.

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2018, 06:09:12 AM »
Welcome!! I'm a new guy to all this milling stuff myself, just got my first mill yesterday, went with a small bandsaw mill myself. The guys here have been a great help, just hang around..lots to be learned here..

Offline starmac

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2018, 06:10:22 PM »
Well I am no help with a mill like yours, can't say that I have ever seen one running. It ain't rocket science though, I can't imagine it being too hard to cut nice lumber and or slabs with it. I can sure see where it is an easy way to start off and get sawdust fever, and a mill like that would have some benefits even if you ever decide to add another type mill.
Oh yea WELCOME, we need more active members here, so tell your friends about this place too. lol

Offline Savannahdan

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2018, 06:32:21 AM »
There is a fellow who does youtube videos under Project of the day using a Logosol mill.  I have the Logosol M8 Farmers mill and haven't cut any logs on it todate.  I need to move the legs closer together in order to cut the short length logs I usually get.  I read that water helps cuts faster and smoother.  Haven't tried that yet and may give it a try before too long.  Good luck.
Logosol  M8 Farmers Mill, Granberg 30" & 56" CSM, Husky 3120xp, Makita DCS7901, Solar Kiln with Solar Fan, Axiom AR8 CNC

Offline ibwaldo

• New Contributor
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2018, 11:49:40 AM »
There is a fellow who does youtube videos under Project of the day using a Logosol mill.  I have the Logosol M8 Farmers mill and haven't cut any logs on it todate.  I need to move the legs closer together in order to cut the short length logs I usually get.  I read that water helps cuts faster and smoother.  Haven't tried that yet and may give it a try before too long.  Good luck.

Thanks for the YouTube tip, I just got done watching a few.
Logosol M8 chainsaw mill
Stihl chainsaws:
  MS 261 C-M
  MS 461
  MS 661 C-M