alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description

Author Topic: advertizing pop ups  (Read 6641 times)

Offline drobertson

• Senior Contributor
advertizing pop ups
« on: March 16, 2018, 05:54:54 PM »
It's not a big deal, but one that just got my attention while viewing the topics and recent posts, It has to do with the banner on the bottom, I never really gave it much consideration until this time.  You see it was earlier today that I was searching for ideas and options on DIY spray foam insulation.  And low and behold one of the very companies I looked into came up on the bottom ad banner,, I'm just curious as to how this works, if anyone knows,  and as of now, its Jc Penney, my wife was looking for toddler clothing just the other night,,

Offline HaroldCR - AKA Fla.-Deadheader

• Old Timers Club
Re: advertizing pop ups
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2018, 09:35:30 PM »

Could be your internet provider. I'm getting all Spanish ads because I live in a Spanish country.

Could also possibly be Google ads. I'm getting a LOT of those in Spanish because I use Google Chrome browser.

Offline starmac

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2018, 09:41:24 PM »
I don't know much about puters, but Harold must be on to something, because I just looked for the first time and it is for a local insurance agent.

Online Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2018, 09:58:02 PM »
They are called Bots.  When you search for something, bots track that information and basically follow your web traffic and when you hit a web site that has google adds available, it points those adds to pop up since you are there.
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is watching!

• Old Timers Club
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2018, 05:46:16 PM »

Is there ANY way to stop this intrusion on my personal computer ??? I'm being botted to death down here.  >:(

Offline drobertson

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2018, 08:34:02 AM »
They are called Bots.  When you search for something, bots track that information and basically follow your web traffic and when you hit a web site that has google adds available, it points those adds to pop up since you are there.r
Thanks kirk, its pretty amazing,

Offline Ox

• Senior Contributor
  • Trying to learn/remember something new every day.
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2018, 10:43:00 AM »
Harold - I use AdBlock.  It's free.  I run Google Chrome.  I don't see these pop ups or banners on the screen.  It's a downloaded thing that stops most if not all the ads and pop ups.  Maybe it's not a fix to the disease but it's a blocker to the symptoms.
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

• Old Timers Club
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2018, 02:11:58 PM »
I use ad block + and didn't have these ads until recently. Google has attached Google Costa Rica shit to my browser. I can't find a way to delete or block it, even after I delete their cookies.

I can build or fabricate nearly anything, but, I'll be damned if I can figure out this computer language/words and how to effectively clean the hard drive and unwanted programs.

Youster could had a computer guru that was Microsoft's main program debugger, but, he expired a few years ago. REALLY miss that man. He was a great friend and we always traded work/favors, etc.