alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description

Author Topic: What are you guys sawing, gals too.  (Read 15633 times)

Offline starmac

• Senior Contributor
What are you guys sawing, gals too.
« on: March 22, 2018, 04:15:29 PM »
What are you guys sawing, or has winter still have a grip on you??

Offline furu

• Senior Contributor
Re: What are you guys sawing, gals too.
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2018, 04:47:51 PM »
I have been mostly sawing planting stakes as if late.  Have to put protection tubes on the seedling to protect them from the Mountain Beavers.
Before that was the ship lap beveled siding.

Not much sawing as of late as all my time is spent planting trees/seedlings.
Integrity is not just doing the right thing.
Integrity is not just doing the right thing when no one is looking.
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one else will ever even know.

Offline starmac

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2018, 05:23:56 PM »
Hey, at least your sawing, planting and posting.

We have a lot of snow to get rid of before I can even get to my mill. lol

Offline drobertson

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2018, 07:26:45 PM »
last bit of firewood, I know you meant sawmilling, sorry, I just pretend now, and enjoy some of the fancier wood grains when I come across them.  I did get into a batch of solid spalting hickory.  It split really good! nice and straight grain on several pieces.

Offline starmac

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2018, 07:59:34 PM »
Well, you sawed more than I did. lol
I am mainly trying to get a little traffic, so maybe we can entice more members.

I know some of the guys have to be sawing, or at least gearing up for it. We still have some winter left here.
I do like to see some of the stuff some of you guys saw, we are very limited on species to saw here, would dearly love to get my hands on some different types of wood.,

Offline Ox

• Senior Contributor
  • Trying to learn/remember something new every day.
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2018, 09:47:41 AM »
Winter.
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Offline Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2018, 10:03:49 AM »
Have not done much sawing this winter.  Got some white oak to take care of in the next few weeks once the weather gets just a tad bit more comfortable! 
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is watching!

Offline Stevem

• Old Timers Club
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2018, 11:37:52 AM »
Just sawed a bunch of oak into blocks.
Tuesday I'm looking at slabbing two 16' oaks
Wednesday it's up the road to slab a black walnut,
And then back home to saw some bending oak for a boat builder.
Busy as I want to be.
Wife has objections and keeps telling me , "You're retired dear."
Rust out or wear out, my choice.
Stevem
Because you can doesn't mean you should!

Offline furu

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2018, 12:03:39 PM »
Just sawed a bunch of oak into blocks.
Tuesday I'm looking at slabbing two 16' oaks
Wednesday it's up the road to slab a black walnut,
And then back home to saw some bending oak for a boat builder.
Busy as I want to be.
Wife has objections and keeps telling me , "You're retired dear."
Rust out or wear out, my choice.

Some folks never really retire, they just change jobs.
I agree with your sentiment.  I am not going to be sitting on that back porch in a rocker.

Offline Ox

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2018, 10:53:48 AM »
It's good to keep going.  I've heard many stories of hard working people retiring, sitting around in boredom, and then they're dead in just a few years or less because they're not keeping busy.  I think an office worker could get away with retiring and sitting around, but not the movers and shakers.  Gotta keep working, elevated heart rate, it's what our bodies are designed for.
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Offline Kojba

• Major Contributor
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2018, 09:35:46 PM »
Tomorrow I will be traveling 2+ hours one way, to saw one, 30" White Oak log.  I'm not sure who is the craziest, the customer or me, but I'm getting paid $225.00 to do it.  Money is money, and work is work.  I just wish he had more to mill, so I could make a little more on this one... ::)  I've got several big saw jobs lined up, but still can't locate any help.  Damn shame...  I guess I'll go alone, and pray the owners have the required help to unload, stack, etc..  And that's, what I'm sawin!
Keep Ole Joe Boy Alive
or
Kiss Ole Joe Boy's Ass

Offline woody

• Contributor
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2018, 08:24:09 PM »
Sure wish I was sawin'. I'm still a "dreamer" ;D
I am going by the mill tomorrow to pick up about 1150 b/f of hemlock for a 38x18' lean to I'm putting in the side of my building.
It'a a great outfit, their "bread & butter" is logging but he's started cutting lumber with a fancy new LT 70 (super I think) in a nice new building.
TK B-20 and learning.

Offline Stevem

• Old Timers Club
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2018, 12:32:37 AM »
Back from traveling yesterday.
So today I cut some Golden Chinkapin for a good customer.

Travel two hours one way to saw a 30" log and earn "$225" ?  Hope you're getting something for your travel time.
Stevem

Offline Tom the Sawyer

• Tom the Sawyer
  • Major Contributor
  • Converting logs to lumber at your home or mine.
    • Tom the Sawyer Portable Sawmill Service
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2018, 07:48:56 PM »
Just got home from a small job - 230 bf (and a 100+ heat index).  I usually discuss the economics when someone calls for a small job.  I have travelled for a single log, several times.  I will explain that the travel fee and setup are likely to be more than the milling fees.  If they don't have the ability to load logs, or a way to transport them, I might be the only choice - but I want them to be well informed.  Most still go ahead, if they can't figure out a way to bring their logs to me.

I use an 'ala carte' pricing system.  Each service stands on its own, so I don't require a minimum time or footage requirement.  The Travel Fee is the same, whether I mill one log or 15 logs, currently $3 per mile, one-way.  I have a Mobile Setup Fee of $50, which is pro-rated for milling volumes above 600 bf (no setup fee if over 1000 bf).  Milling is usually by the board foot, if they need other help, like site prep or cutting logs to length, those are billed as needed.

I offer a free site visit if it appears that they will want milling on-site.  I do not "bid" jobs, although I will always make an estimate of their total costs.  I don't barter, mill on shares, or "negotiate", my fees.  I don't require a deposit or contract.  If they lie, or don't appear to be able to follow through on thier end, I'll try to explain (might even do an additional site visit) - or I walk.

Timberking B-20, log arch, F350 flatbed dump,
20' Trailer w/ log loading arch, Princeton forklift, Bobcat S250 w/ Frostbite grapple.  Nyle L200M kiln.

Offline Kojba

• Major Contributor
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2018, 08:52:49 PM »
Wasn't able to saw today or won't be able to do tomorrow.  Rain, rain, rain, rain.  Everything is washed out, or under water around here.  I've got 20 acres of hay I can't cut, and several loads of logs I'd like to cut.  It's thundering and lightning, pouring rain as I type.   Maybe someone will turn off the faucet soon!   :o
Keep Ole Joe Boy Alive
or
Kiss Ole Joe Boy's Ass

Offline Ox

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2018, 08:54:34 AM »
Where are you, Kojba?  That sounds like the typical feast or famine weather many of us are getting nowadays.

Offline Kojba

• Major Contributor
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2018, 11:11:22 AM »
I'm in Essex county, Va.  2.5 inches of more rain last night!  The forecast calls for chance of rain next 10 days, with the exception of Tuesday, and part of Wednesday.  Scuba time! :P
Keep Ole Joe Boy Alive
or
Kiss Ole Joe Boy's Ass

Offline furu

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2018, 01:50:08 PM »
Despite the rain/drizzle of the last couple of days the normally wet PNW has been in a drought since April.  Send it our way.  My forest seedlings need it.

Offline Kojba

• Major Contributor
« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2018, 05:19:12 PM »
Wish I could.  I'm listening to another thunderstorm, and another deluge on our roof.  Things are getting a little ridiculous....
Keep Ole Joe Boy Alive
or
Kiss Ole Joe Boy's Ass

Offline Kojba

• Major Contributor
« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2018, 08:25:41 AM »
ALAS,  a break from the rain!!!       Milled 20 poplar/walnut/oak logs for a customer yesterday, and damn didn't it feel good to put some cash back in my pocket!  I've got another for Saturday, and several lined up for the next month.  IT FEELS GOOD.  James Brown good... rolling in the hay good...cool drink on a hot day good!  Sorry, had to rant.

Kojba ;D ;D
Keep Ole Joe Boy Alive
or
Kiss Ole Joe Boy's Ass

Offline Crusarius

• Causing trouble and breaking shit
  • Senior Contributor
  • Hmm what does this button d....
    • RockModified
« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2018, 08:51:32 AM »
Hopefully when I get home after work today I will have a chance to get my future landing / sawing area cleaned up so I can pull a few logs from the woods that have been down for a year or so. Found a nice 13" diameter hickory 51' long, and a 15" diameter red oak 42' long with its mate being 13" diameter 42' long. Also found some random pines and quaking aspen that could use some attention.

Anybody know if the aspen is worth sawing? Or should I use that as my sacrificial bottom logs?

Offline Ox

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2018, 10:03:26 AM »
Just had to drop and buck another red pine because I mis-calculated how many 2x8s I needed for the front porch build. 

Crusarius - poplar/popple/quaking aspen is good for paneling, furniture building, really anything like that because it can be stained any color and mimic any wood.  If you don't need any of that - yeah! - good for ground logs!  lol

Years ago the neighbor and me put up poplar for inside horse stalls.  We sawmilled it out green from some snapped off trees and put it up green.  That shit when curing gives off a horrible smell that made us kinda sick.  I can't compare it with anything, and really can't remember exactly what it was like, only that it made us queasy.  This was almost 20 years ago now so memory fades...

Offline Stevem

• Old Timers Club
« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2018, 08:56:01 AM »
Sawed a redwood yesterday for me.  40" on the small end and about 55" on the other, 8' long, about 600 bdf scale.  Cut it into full sawn 1 1/4" for stickers and 2 x 6 for picnic tables.  Lots of sawdust.
Stevem

Offline Kojba

• Major Contributor
« Reply #23 on: June 16, 2018, 09:59:48 PM »
Mobile saw job today!  Ash, Poplar, and some ridiculously small limbs....  Normally I say no to the small stuff, but she was real nice, and had cash in her hand.  What can I say?  If they agree to my price, I'll saw toothpicks for a dentist!   ;D
Keep Ole Joe Boy Alive
or
Kiss Ole Joe Boy's Ass

Offline Crusarius

• Causing trouble and breaking shit
  • Senior Contributor
  • Hmm what does this button d....
    • RockModified
« Reply #24 on: June 18, 2018, 09:14:09 AM »
no sawing this weekend but I spent a good deal of time prepping for log staging area and milling area. Very happy with the results. Unfortunately I found an old pile of pallets from the previous owner with the tractor tire. Stupid spiral nail went right through the lug into the tube. That shut me down for saturday.

Oh, and all my maple I cut couple weeks ago is now infested with beetles. I think they are powder post beetles but not 100% sure. Seems they are only attacking the maple. I did not see any damage to the pine yet. Need to take a closer look when I get home.