alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description

Author Topic: What are you guys sawing, gals too.  (Read 15676 times)

Offline Kojba

• Major Contributor
Re: What are you guys sawing, gals too.
« Reply #25 on: June 18, 2018, 12:24:12 PM »
[.

Oh, and all my maple I cut couple weeks ago is now infested with beetles. I think they are powder post beetles but not 100% sure. Seems they are only attacking the maple. I did not see any damage to the pine yet. Need to take a closer look when I get home.
[/quote]

I don't have that bad of a problem with bugs, but if I did, I'd look into some borax powder.  I purchased some a couple of years ago, it was 88 dollars for five gallons of powder.  Mix it with water and spray with a pump up sprayer.  It does wonders to keep carpenter bees a bay, and is very inexpensive.  It can be mixed with diesel fuel and used to preserve barn siding as well.  When insects cross over the borax they gather it on their legs and die quickly when they clean themselves.  Borax is safe for humans and other large animals, but deadly to insects! 
Keep Ole Joe Boy Alive
or
Kiss Ole Joe Boy's Ass

Offline Crusarius

• Causing trouble and breaking shit
  • Senior Contributor
  • Hmm what does this button d....
    • RockModified
« Reply #26 on: June 18, 2018, 02:46:51 PM »
so sprinkle the powder borax on the boards? or spray it in water?

Offline Kojba

• Major Contributor
« Reply #27 on: June 19, 2018, 02:22:59 PM »
I've got a few saw jobs for this weekend, but rain is back in the forecast.  My wife also wants some planters cut/built, and of course I need a new barn and chicken pen.  The "Honey Do" list doesn't pay too well, but at least there is no alimony!  Last weekend was a hoot.  My last job of the day was for two Physicists, and an aerospace engineer.  They reinforced my belief that some people are way too intelligent for their own good.  ;)  All were extremely nice people, but when I pulled up to the site, there was a pile of poplar 6 feet tall, and of course they wanted to use the logs on the bottom first!  90 minutes later, and tons of calculating completed, the results were a new Toyota 4 runner with a smashed rear door, and a banana shaped log that they expected 9 6x6 beams to be cut from... :o
I managed to get 4 6x6's , and two 3x6's out of the log (surprised even my self), and felt kinda bad when I collected my check.  I figure that milled log cost them about 3500 dollars!!   They were happy, and want me to come back to mill some more.  I guess if you have a lot of money, or a lot of brains, then a wrecked 4x4 is nothing if you get to see a log milled!  They loved my mill, were amazed at the engineering, and couldn't care less about the damage to the truck.  Either I'm a magician, the sawdust was intoxicating, or I'm from another planet!  Possibly, all three.

:laugh: :laugh:
Keep Ole Joe Boy Alive
or
Kiss Ole Joe Boy's Ass

Offline Ox

• Senior Contributor
  • Trying to learn/remember something new every day.
« Reply #28 on: June 20, 2018, 09:01:33 AM »
Crusarius - mix with water then spray on the wood.  Got this off Google:

Dissolve 10 oz. of Borax (20 Mule Team variety) into about 6 oz. of warm water. Agitate the solution until the Borax is dissolved. Pour this mixture into 1 gallon of plain tap water and mix so that it too is blended well. Now pour the treated gallon of water into the hand pump sprayer and tighten the cap of the sprayer. Pump it up to pressurize the inside.

Kojba - they were mostly amazed at the working man's tools.  Those who have never done manual labor or blue collar work are always amazed at the damnest things we do.  It's almost like a child seeing things for the first time.  Also it gives them some ideas that they aren't as smart as they thought they were and that we are a bit smarter than they supposed!
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Offline Kojba

• Major Contributor
« Reply #29 on: June 20, 2018, 11:39:01 AM »
Ox,,  You are 100% correct!  That is exactly how it's seen.   These people are the kindest, most polite people I have ever met.  They are genuinely sincere with their appreciation for what we do.  I guess it's why I like mobile milling the most.  Not a lot of money in the bottom line, but it is a ton of fun, showing people how things are made.  I always try to emphasis the value of the lumber produced; not just as building material, but as potential art pieces.  Building tables, benches, flooring, anything that keeps the customer dreaming.  Excited customers, want you to come back.  They ask for business cards, and they are the biggest reason I stay in business. 
Thank God, we are all different in our train of thought.  You and I are from one school of thought, and we need to help the "numbers guy", enter our world, the world of the "mechanic guy".    ;)
Keep Ole Joe Boy Alive
or
Kiss Ole Joe Boy's Ass