alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description

Author Topic: Woodland Mills HM130 arrived today  (Read 21955 times)

Offline JrSawyer

• Contributor
Woodland Mills HM130 arrived today
« on: March 22, 2018, 10:40:39 PM »
Picked up my new mill today.  Spent the last few months of researching and talking to different manufacturers, and I settled on the Woodland Mill.  14 hp Kohler, 30'' log capacity with 22'' max board width.  I think it gave me the best bang for my buck on an entry level mill, and the company is top notch to deal with.  Added one 6 ft track extension, 10 extra blades, and a couple 4' cant hooks to get me started. 

Still a fair bit of snow on the ground out on my property so I have a couple weeks to chip away at assembling it in the shop.  Also have to build some toe boards & maybe a log loading winch & ramp setup. 

I'll post a bit of a review for anyone interested after I get some hours on this thing. 

Offline A.O.

• Senior Contributor
Re: Woodland Mills HM130 arrived today
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2018, 10:50:47 PM »
SAWEEET!!

I'm sure you are going to love that guy!! I looked at it also but went a little different way but very similar. I have an entire week and a half sawmilling experience!! Having fun with it. Sorry to hear about your snow!
And yeah, get it set up and give a review!

Oh, and Welcome!

Offline starmac

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2018, 11:18:33 PM »
Ya know, I have some 4 in ratcheting clip on strap winches for trailers that would be the berries if a guy wanted a hand winch and strap set up.

Offline JrSawyer

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2018, 12:14:32 AM »
I picked up a 3500lb electric winch on sale a while back with a log loader in mind.  Probly set it up with a deep cycle battery.  Also have a few hand crank winches tucked away somewhere.

I've got a habit of collecting that kind of stuff.  Bit of a hoarder but it always comes in handy when you start a project, and as soon as you throw something away it never fails that a week later you need it  8)

Offline furu

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2018, 03:09:18 AM »
Congratulations.  I imagine the grin on your face is at least as wide as the mill .
Integrity is not just doing the right thing.
Integrity is not just doing the right thing when no one is looking.
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one else will ever even know.

Offline Ox

• Senior Contributor
  • Trying to learn/remember something new every day.
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2018, 09:46:39 AM »
Congratulations - sawmilling with your own mill is a nice experience and one that not many people in the world get to do.
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Offline JrSawyer

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2018, 10:51:44 AM »
Thanks.  Looking forward to getting some use out of it.

With the timber supply I have, we've figured the investment in the mill will save between $30 to $40,000 with the buildings we have planned for the future, depending on what style of house we decide on.  Not to mention selling the odd stack of lumber or furniture wood on the side.  I'd be stupid not to buy a mill.

Offline A.O.

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2018, 11:39:33 AM »
So Jr.. whats your sawmilling background??

And tell me about the toe boards you are building please.

Offline JrSawyer

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2018, 01:02:07 PM »
So Jr.. whats your sawmilling background??

And tell me about the toe boards you are building please.

I learned how to run my dad's original model Norwood mill when I was a little fellow, maybe 12 or 13 years old, and got a fair bit of experience running it off and on over a 10 year span.  It's probly been 15 years since I ran a portable mill though.  Also worked in commercial sawmills for a few years.

The toe boards, I'll use a couple 3 ton scissor jacks floating on channel iron frames so I can center them on the log.  Build a shallow cradle on the top to hold the log steady, and some extensions so I can crank them up & down using my Milwaukee cordless impact gun without reaching underneath.

Or,

I'll pick up a couple short 3'' to 4'' stroke hydraulic rams, and mount them in a similar way near 2 of the bunks.  Plum them to the outside of the frame to a selector valve, and from there to a quick coupler, and I can hook up to my porta-power (hydraulic hand pump) to raise and lower them.  The selector valve will let me run either front or rear if needed, depending which way the butt end of the log ends up on the mill.  Again would save reaching underneath, as opposed to a bottle jack setup. 

Either setup is easy enough to do, hydraulic setup will take a little more time and $ but still fairly cheap.

Offline A.O.

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2018, 03:15:15 PM »
Nice, if you set it up, take a few pics..

Offline red oaks lumber

• Major Contributor
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2018, 08:05:13 PM »
what size jd skid steer in the back ground?
follow your heart, the rest will happen

Offline JrSawyer

• Contributor
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2018, 08:48:11 PM »
Skid steer is a 326D

Really nice machine, wish it was mine but it was a rental unit for a day.  I had some oil drums to load up and a few other things to move so I lined up the rental with the day the mill was delivered.

Offline A.O.

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2018, 07:17:24 AM »
Well...???  Any update?

Offline JrSawyer

• Contributor
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2018, 11:50:39 PM »
Slow progress with the dragging winter this year, along with a back injury that set me behind for a few weeks.  8)  Snow finally melted about 10 days ago, and after some road repairs I was able to get my truck into the property. 

I had 2 sections of track pre-assembled in my shop.  Moved it out to site today, added the third section & levelled it on some pressure treated 6x6 that I picked up for dirt cheap.  Sawhead is still in my shop, fully assembled.  Just a matter of loading it up and moving it to the site.  Once I drop the sawhead on I'll need to make a few tweaks and a final levelling of the track after I put some weight on it.  Should be up and running this week.

First job will be milling some timbers for a log deck & then a small shed to keep the sawhead covered.

Offline A.O.

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2018, 06:48:15 AM »
Slow progress with the dragging winter this year, along with a back injury that set me behind for a few weeks.  8)  Snow finally melted about 10 days ago, and after some road repairs I was able to get my truck into the property. 

I had 2 sections of track pre-assembled in my shop.  Moved it out to site today, added the third section & levelled it on some pressure treated 6x6 that I picked up for dirt cheap.  Sawhead is still in my shop, fully assembled.  Just a matter of loading it up and moving it to the site.  Once I drop the sawhead on I'll need to make a few tweaks and a final levelling of the track after I put some weight on it.  Should be up and running this week.

First job will be milling some timbers for a log deck & then a small shed to keep the sawhead covered.

My only thought, and I am most definitely a rookie, would be to pull that guy out from the edge of the woods so you have good access to both sides, one for loading and one for unloading. I kind of set mine up in the middle of a field and it works pretty well that way..

But good to see you are getting there!

Offline JrSawyer

• Contributor
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2018, 09:05:25 AM »
No room for that yet, plus I don't have equipment up there so loading and unloading will be done manually (other than my atv trailer with a small crane/electric winch)  I'll have a log deck built that is even with the height of the bed and about 6 ft away, and use two short extensions to drop in place to roll a log on the mill, then remove them while milling.

As the trees get cleared & I get more gravel up there I can slowly improve the setup.  I'd like to get it trailer mounted eventually which will be easier.

Offline A.O.

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2018, 10:25:53 AM »
No room for that yet, plus I don't have equipment up there so loading and unloading will be done manually (other than my atv trailer with a small crane/electric winch)  I'll have a log deck built that is even with the height of the bed and about 6 ft away, and use two short extensions to drop in place to roll a log on the mill, then remove them while milling.

As the trees get cleared & I get more gravel up there I can slowly improve the setup.  I'd like to get it trailer mounted eventually which will be easier.

"I'll have a log deck built that is even with the height of the bed and about 6 ft away, and use two short extensions to drop in place to roll a log on the mill, then remove them while milling"

This is what I do also, still need a place to stack stuff as it comes off the mill.

Offline JrSawyer

• Contributor
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2018, 11:01:23 AM »
This is what I do also, still need a place to stack stuff as it comes off the mill.

Yep, it's a little tight right now  8)

I can get a few lumber stacks on the far end, beyond that I'll be backing my trailer up to the mill and loading it as lumber comes off so I can move it elsewhere.

Offline bandmiller2

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2018, 04:12:53 PM »
Jr, please be careful with your back its all too easy to get carried away and strain something. Work slowly at first speed will come on its own schedule. Its well worth the time to clean the log ahead of the saws path as a little grit or stones will play hob with a sharp band. Enjoy yourself. Frank C.

Offline Savannahdan

• Contributor
« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2018, 10:59:23 AM »
Another nice looking sawmill being assembled to cut lumber.  What fun!!  Enjoy yourself and take things easy.  You'll also need to build yourself a solar kiln to dry the wood. 
Logosol  M8 Farmers Mill, Granberg 30" & 56" CSM, Husky 3120xp, Makita DCS7901, Solar Kiln with Solar Fan, Axiom AR8 CNC

Offline A.O.

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2018, 11:22:38 AM »
Another nice looking sawmill being assembled to cut lumber.  What fun!!  Enjoy yourself and take things easy.  You'll also need to build yourself a solar kiln to dry the wood.

Solar kiln would be nice (I intend to build one eventually myself) but not necessarily "needed" I think.

Offline JrSawyer

• Contributor
« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2018, 10:12:27 AM »
Mill's up and running & cuts very well.  Took some time to get the tracking set but it's dialed in now and working good.

I squared off some 16' pine into 6x6s to get my log deck built so that's project #1.  I have a good stockpile of hemlock, pine, and spruce logs to get milled, and then I'll get some birch and red alder logs lined up.

A solar kiln would be nice to have, maybe later on this year I'll have to set one up once I get some more land cleared.

Offline furu

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2018, 11:01:25 AM »
Looking good. 
From your species of logs are you up near Campbell River? The birch is why I asked.
Integrity is not just doing the right thing.
Integrity is not just doing the right thing when no one is looking.
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one else will ever even know.

Offline Savannahdan

• Contributor
« Reply #23 on: May 06, 2018, 01:15:46 PM »
Looks good with the sawdust on the ground.  I see a rake and shovel.  For cleanup?  I remember the piles of sawdust I made with the band saw and swing-blade mills.  Since we have city yard waste pickup I just put it on the street.  Those workers hate coming to my house.  Heavy sawdust, bark and other waste.  I'm doing my best to make strong men out of them.  Ha!
Logosol  M8 Farmers Mill, Granberg 30" & 56" CSM, Husky 3120xp, Makita DCS7901, Solar Kiln with Solar Fan, Axiom AR8 CNC

Offline JrSawyer

• Contributor
« Reply #24 on: May 06, 2018, 02:40:11 PM »
Looking good. 
From your species of logs are you up near Campbell River? The birch is why I asked.

North coast of BC, but the timber & climate would be similar to the island, other than the cooler winter temps.  Cedar and hemlock are the dominant trees but I have a good mix here.  Also some small poplar and silver fir stands as well.