alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description

Author Topic: Go fund me for McCabe.  (Read 15352 times)

Offline starmac

• Senior Contributor
Go fund me for McCabe.
« on: March 29, 2018, 02:27:10 PM »
Can you believe this, Andrew McCabe has a go fund me account with a goal of 150,000 dollars needed for legal defense lawyers. Now this is for anticipated needs, no charges has been brought up on him what soever. I think he may have a crystal ball though.

Offline furu

• Senior Contributor
Re: Go fund me for McCabe.
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2018, 03:15:22 PM »
YGTBSM!!!!
Integrity is not just doing the right thing.
Integrity is not just doing the right thing when no one is looking.
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one else will ever even know.

Offline starmac

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2018, 05:19:59 PM »
Some of us rednex ain't smart enough to know what you done spelled there Furu. lol

Next I expect to see a news report showing him standing on a corner, with a sign . Will work for food or some such thing.
Heck, you would think Hillary would be GLAD to help him out with any needed lawyer bills. lol

Offline furu

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2018, 06:06:25 PM »
Sorry I was trying to be discreet and somewhat polite in my response. 
I guess why not; it seems that everyone thinks that someone else should pay for their needs and they should crowd source everything for them today.  If it is not for a vacation it is for legal fees or some such concept.  The idea that you are a self sufficient individual is gone in today's society.  I do not deny that there are folks that have unexpected disasters in their life but it has become so common to "go fund me" that I have an immediate negative response to all of it.

YGTBSM
Y you
G got
T to
B be
S vernacular word for "defecating on"  (sh***ing)
M me

Offline starmac

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2018, 08:08:50 PM »
What gets me is that no charges have been filed yet, this is for anticipated future expenses. I am sure he has an idea of what is coming though. lol

It started out with a 150,000 goal, but I guess since donations were coming in he has changed the goal to 250,000. lol
Maybe the lawyers told him if go fund me was going to be the money source, then they will charge more. lol

When I first heard of go fund me, I thought it was a good idea, bit it has somehow turned into basically panhandling.

Offline joasis

• Circle sawyer
  • Administrator
  • Senior Contributor
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2018, 02:13:53 AM »
McCabe has a net worth of 11 million, and his wife is a doctor. Sure, he needs others to pay so he doesn't have to. Wow.
Ladwig Construction
Hennessey, Oklahoma
    405 853 1563

If anyone has any issues, I can be reached at the number above, anytime.

Offline Ox

• Senior Contributor
  • Trying to learn/remember something new every day.
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2018, 09:32:53 AM »
People like this make me sick.  They have no shame and should be strung up like the traitors of old.
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Offline starmac

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2018, 11:02:53 AM »
Joasis, I have not verified his net worth, but suspected it was up there, which makes it all the more shameful. It is funny, most poor folks that I have known, would have never even thought of pulling something like this.

When he was fired the way he was, I tld my wife, there was no way they did this unless they have enough goods on him to file some serious charges. The thought of him thinking he is going to need some serious legal help just affirms this, he is no dummy and knows, his goose is cooked it they decide to push matters.

Offline starmac

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2018, 05:54:38 PM »
476,000 in one day, pretty good wages for anybody. It is hard to believe some things these days.

https://www.gofundme.com/andrewmccabelegaldefensefund

Offline Ox

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2018, 09:11:09 AM »
That sickens me.  The fact that liberals will support their own, even if criminals, is disheartening to say the least. 
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Offline starmac

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2018, 02:59:46 PM »
Well past a half million now, I hope his lawyers are monitoring this and charge accordingly. lol

Offline starmac

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2018, 04:47:58 PM »
Well he closed it down at 533,000 hard earned bucks. Not bad for 3 days of exhaustive high tech panhandling.

Offline furu

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2018, 01:19:35 PM »
Well maybe (but I doubt it) he realized the optics of what he was doing were not that good.
Wish the average citizen could get money that easy with out going to jail.  Most places these actions could be view as a scam but not in this case I guess.  Asking for money for a supposed event that has not even occurred.  If it does not, then what will happen to all the money that these citizens could have used for something they needed.  Maybe the contributors had more money than they needed and this was just pocket change to them. 
To me $5 is real money I saw some amounts way larger than that and not that many as low as $5 or $10.
I know my wife will stop to pick up pennies.  Me I will stop for nickles and up so I look at money differently I guess.

Offline Ox

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2018, 10:42:39 AM »
I still stop for pennies.  I know it ain't much, but that's not the point.  It's free money and all you have to do is put forth a little effort and it's yours.  It's the principle.

Offline starmac

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2018, 02:38:08 PM »
I remember a great uncle that was somewhat well off for the times, not rich by any means, but not hurting either, telling me to watch the pennies, and the dollars will take care of themselves.

Offline Ox

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2018, 02:20:07 PM »
I heard the same exact thing from my old man, long time ago.  He ain't considered rich but he's comfortable today in retirement. 

Offline furu

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2018, 05:00:29 PM »
What amazes me are the folks that have no idea where their money goes. 
Whether you make $250K or $30K per year if you don't know how you spend it and where it went you will always be in effect poor.
The folks that amaze me are the ones who are drinking fancy lattes of whatever fancy name of the moment for $6-$7 a pop 5 to 6 times a week and then they are whining about having no money. $1800 plus dollars of fancy coffee a year is fine if you have the money to spend and you know where it went but you have to know where the money  you make goes.  Otherwise it is like sand in your hand, it slips through your fingers.

Offline Ox

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2018, 10:07:37 AM »
Absolutely correct! 

Another thing I can't fathom - folks who finally get almost debt free (i.e. mortgage) and then get a second mortgage to pay for an overpriced brand new vehicle ($50,000 pickup truck) they don't need.  It's like they WANT to be perpetually enslaved.  I just don't get it.  But it IS America, and as such they are free to do so and I can't say anything about, which is how it should be.  :)

Offline furu

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2018, 12:26:56 PM »
Since you brought up the topic of buying cars.  (Nothing like hijacking the thread title a bit and I am joining in the hijack as I often do)

There is always the difference of opinion of new vs used cars and the advantages/disadvantages of both.  If you are a person that buys a vehicle and trades/sells it within a couple of years (I don't grasp or understand that but many people do and that is OK if that is what they want to with their money) you lose a lot of depreciation value the second you drive off the lot.  However if you are an individual that buys a car and does not sell it until it dies or you die then the argument about the depreciation the second you drive off the lot has a bit less weight in the long run.  I see no reason to sell a car unless it has become useless for my purposes or has become so unreliable that it is not economically viable anymore.

I discussion I have with people quite frequently goes something like the following.

Do you have a car loan or have you recently had a car loan?

After their response I say:

You do you realize that you should never really stop making payments on the loan.

They give me this quizzical look like I am loony-toons.
My next words bring a completely different look to their face.

You have been paying that loan for how long now, 4 or 5 years, and you have gotten used to not having that money each month. You have gotten along fine without that money so when you stop paying the loan off to the bank then you keep paying the loan to yourself. 
Create an account that you call you "new car account" and put that same money that you have been paying every month on that loan into the car account just as you have been and you see no difference to your income stream and your normal expenses.  Now you are not only paying the principal but also the interest to yourself and not the bank but you are making interest on that as well.  When it comes time for a "new" car  you take a loan from your car account and pay cash for the "new" vehicle.  Of course you continue to pay that loan every month to the "car account" so that it is never really paid off but you are paying yourself and you are getting the interest  not somebody else.

The look that goes across their face is as if they see a beacon of light in the dark.

It does take financial discipline to do it and even more to not raid the account for some petty "emergency" but it is really very easy once you decide to do it.  You have to commit that the money is untouchable for ANYTHING other than the "new" vehicle unless it is literally a life or death requirement (like cancer treatement).  No vacations, no new clothes, no new toys etc.  Those needs/desires can be accomplished with another account that you budget increments of money into.  Lots of folks say they do it but commingle the money in an account and then lose track of what they have and it disappears.

The method is not for everyone but it is very viable and it works very well and over time the power of compounding is very nice.  I use the same method for lots of things.  Depending upon the purpose of the account, the amount of money put into the account each month may not be large but it is a fixed amount that is not missed because "you never had it." 
Of course I am the guy that still has the same refrigerator that I bought back in 1978 and the freezer that I bought in 1979 so I do not replace appliances very often either.  When I paid off the house loan I never stopped paying that money either.  It just got re-purposed to another account/goal.

I am now off my soapbox of financial thoughts of the day.

Offline Ox

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2018, 09:27:42 AM »
You are doing things just the way I imagine the great men of old (Jefferson, Washington, Franklin, etc.) would have done given the same circumstances. 

I too am one to use things until they basically completely die.  I buy things for the long run whenever possible.  I would like to find some older appliances because they basically last darn near forever.  When I finally get to our "last place I'll ever own" somewhere not in NY state, I'll make finding some of these older gems a goal of mine. 

The idea of paying yourself and then gaining that interest is exactly what I planned on doing after the mortgage is finally paid off in around 5 to 7 years (depends on what life brings us!).  Then this "home fund" will be our hopefully large down payment for the new place.

You are a credit to the American man, furu.

Offline red oaks lumber

• Major Contributor
« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2018, 06:02:09 PM »
a vehicle is a very poor investment period. having said that, i still own them. i never buy newer than 10 yrs.old. usually trade with less than 5 grand cash to boot.
the more expensive the vehicle the higher the insurance. hmmm, insurance? most people don't factor that fun monthly priemuim into the "monthly expense".

as for mcabe... he needs to just go away like all disgraced people in washington.
follow your heart, the rest will happen

Offline furu

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2018, 03:19:14 AM »
I know of no one that thinks of a vehicle as being an investment.  It is a tool to be used to further an activity.  Might be going for groceries might be for going to work or it might be a work truck that is essential to haul tools and equipment around.  Never heard one referred to as an investment by anyone. 

Now housing as an investment some folk discuss with vigor.  A house is a good investment, a house is a poor investment, a house is just a place to live in and you are better off renting and not having the responsibility.  A very good discussion can be held on that subject,  but a vehicle.....................No, never heard that one.

Offline Ox

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2018, 08:55:25 AM »
I think some of the classic car folks look at some of the old classics as an investment, don't they?  Like some of the Dodge/Plymouth super cars like the Super Bee and Charger?  Or maybe it's just them trying to justify the big bucks.  But I can see how the rare and in demand vehicles might be an investment.

Exceptions to the rule are maddening, aren't they?  lol  I have a few people in my own family that like to use the exceptions to the norm as the basis for an argument.  Try explaining to someone like that how their way of thinking doesn't work.  You might better go out and talk to a tree.

I have to say, furu.  I enjoy reading your posts as they are spot on and filled with thoughtful discussion and always seem to be exactly what I think as well but I'm never able to say my thoughts as well as you. 8)  I'm envious of that.  :)  However, I think we're made the way we are for a reason and if I was able to get all my thoughts out I guess I'd never shut up.

Offline furu

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2018, 12:21:51 PM »
I think some of the classic car folks look at some of the old classics as an investment, don't they?  Like some of the Dodge/Plymouth super cars like the Super Bee and Charger?  Or maybe it's just them trying to justify the big bucks.  But I can see how the rare and in demand vehicles might be an investment.

Exceptions to the rule are maddening, aren't they?  lol .....snip

Agreed there are almost always  exceptions and I grant that your example is one such exemption. 
Those type cars are truely investments for the collectors as they actually do increase in value to those that are classic car aficionados. 
Me I have no appreciation for them other than thinking those are really cool but I would not own even if I was filthy rich and had more money than I knew what to do with.  Just not wired that way I guess.
Me I would buy more forest land if I had unlimited funds to do so with.

Offline Ox

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #24 on: April 09, 2018, 10:03:47 AM »
Me too.  I would invest in land.  Good land, with nice woods and creeks.  Thousands of acres.  And put a nice little house and shop right in the middle of it so I have to drive for a mile or so just to get to the road.  Ahhhhhhh........

Concerning old cars - I've always had a thing for the old older ones.  Like the Model A.  And model AA.  I've always like the older trucks for some reason.  I'd like to try out owning one some day.  Not to restore, but to bring back to life and let her wear her war marks with pride.  Use it to go to town on the rare occasions I leave the mountain.  Maybe some day.  Not now.  Working on getting out of debt for the next bunch of years.