alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description

Author Topic: red oaks  (Read 8107 times)

Offline xlogger

• Major Contributor
red oaks
« on: April 18, 2018, 06:21:25 AM »
I know red oaks lumber is on here some, got a question. Is the pin oak boards as good as other red oaks. I was going to get one and quarter saw it.

Offline Tom the Sawyer

• Tom the Sawyer
  • Major Contributor
  • Converting logs to lumber at your home or mine.
    • Tom the Sawyer Portable Sawmill Service
Re: red oaks
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2018, 11:13:20 PM »
In the mean time...  My experience with pin oak is mixed.  The grain patterns can be stunning.  Planted as a landscape tree in my area, to replace the elms lost from DED, they are very fast growing - which means wide growth rings.  It is not unusual to find growth rings greater than 1/2" wide.  That also makes for unreliable drying success.  People will comment about the bacterial odor when milling the lumber but it goes away as it dries. 

They are short-lived, which is why I get so many calls about them, they are maturing out at 60-70 years, at that age they are commonly 36-48" DBH. I have never had someone call asking for pin oak lumber and, if they ask for red oak and I tell them yes, some will clarify that it is actual red oak, not pin oak (a member of the red oak family).  I tell my tree guys that I won't buy pin oak, but somehow I end up with a couple of them each year - they are hard to get rid of but I fortunately I have one custom table maker who likes it because it is so dramatic.
Timberking B-20, log arch, F350 flatbed dump,
20' Trailer w/ log loading arch, Princeton forklift, Bobcat S250 w/ Frostbite grapple.  Nyle L200M kiln.

Offline xlogger

• Major Contributor
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2018, 05:11:10 AM »
Tom, they are having a slab work shop here in NC next month. Long ride for you but was wondering if you were coming?

Offline red oaks lumber

• Major Contributor
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2018, 07:00:55 PM »
hey xlogger,
personally, the only way to try getting a pin oak big enough and nice enough worthy of qtr sawing would be free, or pulp price. there are way to many unknowns hiding under the bark.
if you do proceed, pic's are a must !!
follow your heart, the rest will happen

Offline Tom the Sawyer

• Tom the Sawyer
  • Major Contributor
  • Converting logs to lumber at your home or mine.
    • Tom the Sawyer Portable Sawmill Service
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2018, 08:42:22 PM »
Ricky,

Drive 2000 miles over 4 days to attend a one day seminar for $30?  Count me in!!!

Actually, my wife found out last summer that she has a little sister that she didn't know about (my wife was adopted), and her sister lives 31 miles from the seminar location so, yes, we'll be making the trip and I'll be at the seminar. 

I suspect that location couldn't hold more than about 40 people, and that the topic would be of wide interest.  It's too bad that they don't make it a webinar so that many more people could get the information.

Hope to see you there,
Tom
Timberking B-20, log arch, F350 flatbed dump,
20' Trailer w/ log loading arch, Princeton forklift, Bobcat S250 w/ Frostbite grapple.  Nyle L200M kiln.

Offline xlogger

• Major Contributor
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2018, 04:28:31 AM »
It will good to see you again. I sent my money in and plan on being there, but you know at our age plans can change.
Ricky

Offline xlogger

• Major Contributor
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2018, 04:32:39 AM »
hey xlogger,
personally, the only way to try getting a pin oak big enough and nice enough worthy of qtr sawing would be free, or pulp price. there are way to many unknowns hiding under the bark.
if you do proceed, pic's are a must !!
thanks ROL, the tree turn out to be a true red oak but the deal fell thru with the tree cutter. I'm going to have to be careful on selecting logs to make sure I don't get a pin oak log in the future. How mainly do you tell the apart? Maybe first thing  is the fast growth rings?

Offline drobertson

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2018, 07:34:54 AM »
you can often tell the differences before the tree is fell.  First indications can be from the leaves, Pin's will have a more thinned out pointy frame, while the typ. red will be more blocky.  they acorns are typ. smaller than the other reds,, and the bark will often times be flater, not so grooved out.

Offline xlogger

• Major Contributor
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2018, 05:24:41 AM »
yep the leaves are a dead give away. but if I'm looking at a log out of the woods that what I was trying to figure out.

Offline drobertson

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2018, 07:48:04 PM »
I reckon looking at the bark, then flip a coin?, If it's big I say saw it! Who knows may be a gem!

Offline Stevem

• Old Timers Club
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2018, 09:13:12 PM »
Pretty small acorns.  Really jab the feet when you're barefoot!
Stevem
Because you can doesn't mean you should!