alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description

Author Topic: Web Site tracking software  (Read 5184 times)

Offline furu

• Senior Contributor
Web Site tracking software
« on: May 10, 2018, 11:21:08 AM »
I was upgrading my browser and looking at the settings and saw one that I had never seen before. 
There has been the option that you can select that tells the web site not to track you but it is advisory only and they don't have to follow your request and I am certain most ignore it entirely.
This was an option to inform you, the user, if a web site has a tracking function and is indeed tracking your internet usage.
Very illuminating feature.  Sites that I would never have guessed are tracking you, are indeed tracking you.   :(

Most interesting is this site. 
According to the notification there is no tracking going on from this site. 
It is just what it is advertised as being. 
A place we can get together to discuss all things forest and timber related without any other BS.

Yeah Kirk and company. Thanks :)
Integrity is not just doing the right thing.
Integrity is not just doing the right thing when no one is looking.
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one else will ever even know.

Offline Ox

• Senior Contributor
  • Trying to learn/remember something new every day.
Re: Web Site tracking software
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2018, 10:27:51 AM »
Good to know.  Thanks for sharing!
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Offline RiverForest

• Contributor
Re: Web Site tracking software
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2018, 07:04:33 PM »
Hot stuff.

Which browser, and are you on Mac or PC, Android, IOS, etc?

It's the option to be notified that I had not seen; knew about the do not track (and it is routinely ignored by sites).
Learning/listening mode works best coupled with a thick skin.  Share what you do know and what you learn when you can