alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description

Author Topic: Looking for a planer, Grizzly ok?  (Read 24642 times)

Offline A.O.

• Senior Contributor
Re: Looking for a planer, Grizzly ok?
« Reply #50 on: November 17, 2018, 07:39:17 AM »
I started on reading this, thinking about my 718 Woodmaster, and what a pita it is to set the blades on it. I wonder if they offer a spiral head with carbide blades?

Yes boys, getting the shop cleaned up and going to start making sawdust again....even have the electric mill moved. Been playing with getting my home machine shop up and running first for a new adventure.

Yep, they have them... and cheap too!

https://www.woodmastertools.com/shop/accessories/spiral-planer-heads/spiral-head-for-718-planer/

Offline Ox

• Senior Contributor
  • Trying to learn/remember something new every day.
« Reply #51 on: November 17, 2018, 07:55:14 AM »
It's been said that Trump's ability to continue without hesitation, even in the face of enormous adversity that bombards him at every turn, is due to the fact that he's a religious man - that God is helping him stand strong in the face of his enemies.

I have to admit - he does seem impenetrable.  When at least 90% of everything said on the major news networks is negative against him - what does that suggest?  It tells me that they ARE the democratic party.  And as such they are desperate to do anything in their power to upset the bringing back of the old ways of running this country.  I want to know how they spin a negative tune on the fact that we now have the lowest unemployment rate in at least 30 years, and that black people are now working jobs more than ever, including all of history.  I don't recall reading anything about the mainstream media mentioning any of this.

It angers me.  It sickens me.  And the only thing I can do about it is cast a vote every now and then and wonder if it truly gets counted or not.  My America is disintegrating before my eyes.  And you know what?  It all starts in our public school systems.  They are federally funded and will do whatever it takes to continue sucking on that hind government tit.
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Offline furu

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #52 on: November 17, 2018, 04:21:56 PM »
Yep, they have them... and cheap too!

https://www.woodmastertools.com/shop/accessories/spiral-planer-heads/spiral-head-for-718-planer/

Well I don't know about cheap but they do make them and the one on my 718 runs very well and does a very nice job I do say.
Integrity is not just doing the right thing.
Integrity is not just doing the right thing when no one is looking.
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one else will ever even know.

Offline A.O.

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #53 on: November 18, 2018, 07:46:24 AM »
Well I don't know about cheap but they do make them and the one on my 718 runs very well and does a very nice job I do say.

Yeah, I was just having a little fun with the cheap part! A HH for mine would cost more than the planer did!

Offline furu

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #54 on: November 18, 2018, 12:19:42 PM »
I know folks that think $1K is cheap for things that they want. 
On the other hand, I suppose $1165 might be inexpensive if the next manufacturer that makes a spiral head planer charges $2000 for an 18" head.  Considering the number of inserts (blades) it takes maybe it is inexpensive (cheap).  It also has 122 inserts as well as the head.  Good planer knives are not cheap either.

As I was typing I decided to go do a search.  Came up with the following https://www.holbren.com/Byrd_Tool_B4632

so maybe $1165 is cheap.  I have no idea on quality differences but $1990 on sale for $1791 makes the $1165 much cheaper.
Integrity is not just doing the right thing.
Integrity is not just doing the right thing when no one is looking.
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one else will ever even know.