alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description

Author Topic: Sharpener and Setter for Bandmills  (Read 7286 times)

Offline Kojba

• Major Contributor
Sharpener and Setter for Bandmills
« on: May 22, 2018, 08:01:05 PM »
Just curious what everyone is using to sharpen bands.  I've heard a lot of people dissatisfied with the Cooks "Cat Claw" sharpener, but I have to do something soon, that won't break the bank.  It always seems like I get the "right now" job when my bands are dull.  Sending them out takes time, and the only local guy I have is a real ass to deal with.  He would rather throw a band away, then sharpen it.  If it isn't perfect when he gets it, he tosses it away.  He sells some off the wall band, that costs twice Woodmizer or Kasco, and the band he sells is total junk.  I bought two, to try out, and the first one went dull on the first log; the second one did a little better, but was nothing to write home about.
 I know Richard (Cutting Edge) does excellent work and sells a good band, but my lack of organization is forcing me to sharpen my own.  The Woodmizer BMTS 50 is a cheap alternative, but haven't heard any reviews yet.  Woodmizer of Pa. has told me to expect 20 minutes to sharpen and set a blade (not too bad) but one friend told me to expect 45 minutes until you get good at it.  At that rate, I would buy new Kasco and throw away a bad or dull blade.  I can make more milling with the limited time I have, and 5k for an automatic sharpener and setter from Woodmizer sounds a little pricey.  What do you do with yours?  I generally go through 8-15 blades a week, depending upon the time of year, etc. 

Thanks, Kojba :)
Keep Ole Joe Boy Alive
or
Kiss Ole Joe Boy's Ass

Offline jb griffin

• Contributor
Re: Sharpener and Setter for Bandmills
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2018, 09:45:20 PM »
We have a cooks cat crap sharpen-at-it at work. Without a doubt it is the most inconsistent pile I've had the misery to be around. That being said, they can be made into a decent,  but not really great, sharpener.

Thats why a bought a used wright. And all I can say about it is , PRECISION. And thats why I call the cooks what I, the wright is everything the cooks isn't. The only gripe I have is the cams are high ($180 for the one I bought) and they don't have one for the wm7/39 or kasco7/40.

Don't even bother thinking about buying a cooks dual tooth smasher, they're worse than the sharpen-at-it's. I bought a suffolk dual tooth and you won't find a more accurate dual tooth setter. Single tooth setters are inherently more accurate than dual tooth setters. 4x4american has a video on youtube than clearly illustrates the reason.
1.5 million bdft and counting sawn on a Baker Dominator
Lt40Hyd 33hp Kubota at home.

Offline Kojba

• Major Contributor
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2018, 09:51:39 PM »
Woodmizer has a BMS 50 sharpener, that with the cam and oil for a 7 degree turbo, runs about $1700.   The automatic sharpener runs 2k with cam and oil.  Might go with one of those.
I used to have a TK sharpener and setter, but could never figure the darn thing out.  Worked good sometimes, seemed to destroy the blade other times.  I'd like to go used, if a good one could be found.  Who knows, I might luck out somewhere!
Keep Ole Joe Boy Alive
or
Kiss Ole Joe Boy's Ass

Offline bandmiller2

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2018, 07:40:52 PM »
I have an older Cooks cat and I'm well pleased with it. I have a couple of sharpening customers and have never had a complaint. The machine has paid for itself many times. The Cooks is good if you sharpen many different bands you don't need a special ($$$$$) wheel for each. The machine does require an operator that knows how to adjust it. Sharp is sharp and the ceramic wheels red or blue seem to last forever. I built my own dual tooth setter it isn't perfect but it cost me nothing and is close enough. Give or take two or three thousandths is all that's needed, if you want perfection you will be chasing your tail and howling at the moon shortly. Buy the best machine you can afford if you do much milling it will pay for itself. Frank C.