alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description

Author Topic: Cutting out a much needed barn.  (Read 6249 times)

Offline Kojba

• Major Contributor
Cutting out a much needed barn.
« on: May 28, 2018, 08:21:23 PM »
After much consideration on my part, and a bunch of "hollering" on my wife's part, I've decided to construct a 24x42 barn for my hay equipment and other junk.  I'd like to make the dimensions 28x42, but my friend who delivers my logs can only transport 14 foot logs.  I can haul 16's on my low-boy, but he runs a tree service and I never know where he might be or when he has the logs!  24 will be okay, considering the local lowe's handles 14' metal roofing.  I've got the siding cut from Poplar, and need some oak for the timbers, but so far no luck on finding the good stuff.  I will use pine, and will probably have to cut that from my own woodlot.  I'm going to treat the siding and rafters with copper napathate, which usually lasts a good while.  The last barn I built, I mixed Copper and borax together to control bees and rot, and so far has held up pretty well.  I need to build a kiln, a barn for dried lumber, and a few other buildings that will keep me busy for the next few years.  I hope to retire in 2020, and just mill for an income.  Hopefully, that will work out.
Keep Ole Joe Boy Alive
or
Kiss Ole Joe Boy's Ass

Offline Ox

• Senior Contributor
  • Trying to learn/remember something new every day.
Re: Cutting out a much needed barn.
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2018, 09:28:30 AM »
This is the type of thinking that made America the greatest in just a few short centuries compared to the other countries that still aren't great after thousands of years.

I hope to follow you down this project's path.
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Offline drobertson

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2018, 06:01:47 PM »
Sawing out what's needed is always a good thing, and for the most part cheaper(less expensive).  I have to say at this point, many of you folks that have mills, be it, small manuals, or the higher production hydraulics, sawing out kit form barn, sheds and most any put together projects is a great out for lumber.  Some design work is required, but the rewards are available.  If we would listen to our wives more intently, more sense(cents) may be made,,

Offline Kojba

• Major Contributor
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2018, 07:58:30 PM »
DR, you're right, I should listen to her more often.  The only problem is I'd have to tell her she's right, and that would kill me!  No, just kidding...she knows when she's right, and that's the real problem...LMBO.   She keeps asking for her own shed to store Christmas and holiday stuff, and that's going to happen this summer also (I hope).  How's the TK 1400 working out?  I sure you can do any mod necessary to make a mill perform, and the TK is a really good mill to work with.
Keep Ole Joe Boy Alive
or
Kiss Ole Joe Boy's Ass

Offline Kojba

• Major Contributor
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2018, 05:09:47 PM »
I've got the frame built, deck is 90% on!  Would have been 100%, but the darn rain started up again.  I've got a saw job this Friday, and there is no rain in the forecast up till then.  Maybe that will give me the breather I need to get things finished!  My shop ended up being 16x36, with plans to put two 16x36 wings on both sides.  One for the mill, the other for the tractor.  I've got to learn how to load pictures, or maybe I might just use Youtube instead.  Either way, hope to show you some progress soon.

Kojba
Keep Ole Joe Boy Alive
or
Kiss Ole Joe Boy's Ass

Offline kbeitz

• Collector and builder of many things.
  • Senior Contributor
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2019, 05:27:42 AM »
Pictures?
Home made band saw mill.
Machine shop.