alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description

Author Topic: picture tutorial?  (Read 12085 times)

Offline woody

• Contributor
picture tutorial?
« on: May 31, 2018, 09:08:04 PM »
I've look'd around, prolly missed it.
Trying to set up a "gallery" and can't get past "choose a category". It won't seem (I can't get it to) let me write a category.
Was just reading in the mill building area and Harold AKA made me laugh when he was having trouble with pics and said something to the affect "I'm going to the shop and just beat my fingers with a hammer, I can do that". I think Harold & I have the same computer skills. ;)
TK B-20 and learning.

Offline furu

• Senior Contributor
Re: picture tutorial?
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2018, 09:47:08 PM »
I did this thread a while back.

http://www.sawmillandtimberforum.com/index.php/topic,1671.0.html

Post #4 in the thread in the link addresses how to make a category and name it etc.

I remember you saying you are using an Apple device but even as non intuitive as Apple is, the method should work. 
Yes I find Apple very confusing.

Ask for help if you still have an issue,

Integrity is not just doing the right thing.
Integrity is not just doing the right thing when no one is looking.
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one else will ever even know.

Offline woody

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2018, 05:29:22 AM »
Thanks, yeah I find them all non intuitive. I wish I understood them but I grew up with buttons/switches with names printed on or around them that generally described the function. :o
TK B-20 and learning.

Offline Kojba

• Major Contributor
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2018, 06:35:18 AM »
Thanks, yeah I find them all non intuitive. I wish I understood them but I grew up with buttons/switches with names printed on or around them that generally described the function. :o

I used to ask my wife or kids to do the computer stuff.  Unfortunately, the kids are gone and the wife is busy on Facebook, or talking to friends.  Guess I better play "catch-up"!
Keep Ole Joe Boy Alive
or
Kiss Ole Joe Boy's Ass

Offline Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is watching!

Offline woody

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2018, 06:06:43 PM »
OK, I created 2 category's
sized the pic down to 86
clicked "ad pic", then get must select category message?(I did)?
« Last Edit: June 01, 2018, 06:55:49 PM by woody »
TK B-20 and learning.

Offline drobertson

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2018, 08:42:28 PM »
yep, pics is a pain, have not found the equation yet,

Offline furu

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2018, 09:06:18 PM »
OK, I created 2 category's
sized the pic down to 86
clicked "ad pic", then get must select category message?(I did)?

Not fully certain what you mean but would guess that you created the 2 categories then tried to add a picture without going to one or the other category first.

Think of it like the root directory of your computer (C drive) and the separate folders that you create.  The category is like a folder (sub-directory if your are an old DOS guy)  You can't add a picture to the root {c-drive) you have to create the category (you created 2) then select which one you want to add to before you try the add.

Offline woody

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2018, 05:41:32 AM »
Good morning
Furu I selected a category to post my re-sized 86kb pic in, select the pic then, "add pic",  then the "select a category'' message comes up.
Thanks for trying to help, I've never used a computer in my daily existence, and only use it for forums, a fancy photo album, and for my music library. My brain hear's Chineese talking about C drives and stuff, and sadly, you might as well try to teach your dog math or spelling. ;D
But I will keep trying. Picture laden posts explain far more than words can ever do.

TK B-20 and learning.

Offline furu

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2018, 01:48:41 PM »
I was trying to figure out if I could duplicate the message that you were getting to see if I could figure out how to help you avoid the message you are getting. 
The good news i was able to get the message . 

There are at least 3 ways to get to the point that you are actually adding a picture to your gallery.  I did get the message you received several times when I used one of the methods.  The one that seemed to avoid it in all cases was using the bulk picture upload even for single pictures.
However I did do a screen shot that may be part of the reason you are getting it.

I found that if I used any of the single picture upload options I received the screen below.  If I hit "add picture" without a minimum of information filled out the message you are getting popped up. 

For some reason you must give the photo a title.  (It did not used to require a title but it seems to as of the last several months/years)
Obviously you have to attach a photo.
The rest of the screen is superfluous and adds tot he confusion.
Since I always use the bulk picture upload page I had never seen the page below and it is potentially confusing I suppose.

I have put red boxes around the things you appear to have to fill in before you "add picture" button.

Offline woody

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2018, 08:19:49 PM »
Thanks furu!!!
I'll give that a try when I'm in the right frame of mind. (feeling very, very patient) ;D
TK B-20 and learning.

Offline woody

• Contributor
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2018, 11:03:05 AM »
Rainy day, the first in about 6+ weeks and I got some pics on! Furu thanks to you I have a (small) gallery. There's prolly a better way than I'm doing it but re sizing each pic is a pita and the worst part of it.
TK B-20 and learning.

Offline furu

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2018, 11:32:55 AM »
You did some really nice fab work there on your design. :)  I went through your gallery and was impressed with the quality.

I don't speak Apple much beyond "pointy-talky"  so may not communicate well but will give it a try.  What program/process are you using for file resizing to get pictures below 100K?

The thread that I linked to in post 2 of this thread has a discussion of using "InfranView" which I find very easy.  Jay really likes "XAT" but I found it was limiting in the free version and I am too cheap to pay for their better version.  If Apple can use the "InfraView" program I would recommend it highly.

As a suggestion (not really knowing what I am talking about as I don't know what program you are using and if it can do it) try to resize/resample the image you want to upload to 800 by 600 pixel before you  compress and save it as it should give you a larger size but at lower resolution which is fine for the web and reduces the size (Kb) by a very larger percentage before anything else is needed

Offline furu

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2018, 11:42:46 AM »
I just went in an played with one of your images for a couple of seconds and blew it up 400 percent and did not get much pixelation so you have a pretty high resolution photo that is shrunk in  overall size to get the 100Kb count but kept a really good quality of resolution.  Thus I am convinced that if you can get your program to do a resize/resample to the 800x 600 that will help a lot just to start with while leaving you with a significantly larger dimension photo .

Offline woody

• Contributor
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2018, 05:29:03 PM »
I use something in the computer called "preview", I'm getting better but it definitely takes several steps re sizing down until it tells me the "GB" ?? size. I do try to crop the pics that it works on first. And then there prolly is a better way than I'm doing it, but with computers & me, if it works, I'll keep doing it even if it's wrong :P
I'll keep working on finishing up my pic on the grapple build, metal is the kind of hardware I can work with.
Thanks for hanging in with your babysitting me. :) Pics truly are worth 1000 words!
TK B-20 and learning.

Offline drobertson

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2018, 08:02:16 PM »
I tried again and again, it seems I'm getting hung up with the category thing,  its a pisser,

Offline furu

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2018, 09:27:05 PM »
I tried again and again, it seems I'm getting hung up with the category thing,  its a pisser,

Can you describe where the hang up is occurring.  Maybe I can help.  Worst case telephone walk through is always an option.

Offline Ox

• Senior Contributor
  • Trying to learn/remember something new every day.
« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2018, 10:28:42 AM »
Nice looking fabbing and nice looking equipment that you fabbed, woody. 
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Offline drobertson

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2018, 04:31:29 PM »
Can you describe where the hang up is occurring.  Maybe I can help.  Worst case telephone walk through is always an option.
not sure, I've created the category, I think, when moving forward with an ad picture it just thinks for a spell then errors out, so not sure,

Offline Kojba

• Major Contributor
« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2018, 08:35:21 PM »
I'm going to try and upload a few this weekend.  That should be a unforgettable experience??
Keep Ole Joe Boy Alive
or
Kiss Ole Joe Boy's Ass