alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description

Author Topic: Bell saw on c/l  (Read 7129 times)

Offline woody

• Contributor
Bell saw on c/l
« on: July 04, 2018, 11:29:12 AM »
https://maine.craigslist.org/hvo/d/sawmill/6610008182.html

I figgure I can't really join the club here unless I have a mill :laugh: Been wanting to take a ride to look at it but motivation in this heat is hard to come by. I start b**ching at about 75*
Still hoping the M/D mill I looked at comes way down in price.
TK B-20 and learning.

Offline Kojba

• Major Contributor
Re: Bell saw on c/l
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2018, 03:44:56 PM »
You can always visit someone who has a mill, then volunteer as a saw hand.   If you're ever in Virginia,  ;D ;D stop in and mill a few with me.  I can use the help....  LMBO
Keep Ole Joe Boy Alive
or
Kiss Ole Joe Boy's Ass

Offline bandmiller2

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2018, 07:27:24 PM »
Woody, your not far away visit the mill and talk to the fella maybe cut a log or two. The price is a little rich for a belsaw but its well setup and hopefully the engine runs well and has a governor. It troubles me that he is swinging such a large saw on a 1 7/8" arbor also the belts and pulleys driving it don't look too robust. For that kind of money you should be able to find a good Chase or Lane mill that is far more robust. Don't rush into anything there are many more handset mill laying fallow in the woods and even in decent buildings. Frank C.

Offline joasis

• Circle sawyer
  • Administrator
  • Senior Contributor
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2018, 07:35:16 PM »
Well....if it stays listed for a few weeks, a reasonable offer is $2,000.  I would not give more for it, that is all it is worth. It is a nice set up, but it isn't a Meadows or a Lane mill either.

The insert teeth for the blade can be expensive. Ask the important questions. Does he have a sharpener for it? Extra inserts? Blade wrench, and is there more then one blade? Watch him cut a log with it. Does the blade stand up well when sawing or wobble? Getting a blade hammered can be expensive.

Aside from that, circle milling can be very dangerous. It is not running a bandmill. Just saying.

Unless you want the look of circle milled stock, the same money should get you a decent bandmill.....
Ladwig Construction
Hennessey, Oklahoma
    405 853 1563

If anyone has any issues, I can be reached at the number above, anytime.

Offline woody

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2018, 08:02:33 PM »
Thanks guy's, I really want a bandmill. I've worked with friends that have a circle mill several times so I know where all the sharp parts are, had the hammering/rpm talk (talk about magic smoke!) with an experienced sawyer, that kinda turned me off while confusing me all at once. He said everyone close that was any good (hammering) that he knew was gone. I'll be sawing alone and really don't think that makes sense with a conventional sawmill.
 I'll remain patient with your help, and thanks for the invite Kojba.  ;D

TK B-20 and learning.

Offline joasis

• Circle sawyer
  • Administrator
  • Senior Contributor
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2018, 05:32:23 AM »
I grew up with a shop built circle mill, Oklahoma style. I learned the operations from my grandfather, and still learned something new oftne about technique and method.

I bought a big Meadows #1 many years back and got with the program, and the difference between a "Belsaw style" circle mill and the real deal that was built for production sawing was night and day. And what I discovered was how expensive circle milling is...just the fuel for 100 horses to turn a 60 inch blade is measured in multiple five gallon cans a day. The teeth and shanks were not cheap, sharpening is done on the blade and is a learned skill. Don't get it right, and the blade can do amazing things, plus overheat and cup, wobble, and you think it may come right out of the husk.  The log turner is nice, but not really needed on a bandmill.

I then bought a Mr. Sawmill with electric power. And it is the cheapest mill to run. If I sawed a lot, and bought a sharpener, it would be pennies to run instead of twenties. Plus, you theoretically have more boards due to the thinner kerf of a band, plus you have less chance to hurt yourself or anyone else.
Ladwig Construction
Hennessey, Oklahoma
    405 853 1563

If anyone has any issues, I can be reached at the number above, anytime.