alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description

Author Topic: Live Edge Blog  (Read 7233 times)

Offline Tom the Sawyer

• Tom the Sawyer
  • Major Contributor
  • Converting logs to lumber at your home or mine.
    • Tom the Sawyer Portable Sawmill Service
Live Edge Blog
« on: July 05, 2018, 10:12:52 PM »
I have had a website for my portable sawmill business for more than 7 years.  Earlier this year I decided to add a blog to answer frequent questions, and perhaps stimulate an interactive discussion on topics related to running a small sawmill business.  Several months later, and after several posts, there had been only one comment.  Long story shortened - there were some problems with my host's blog system so I have switched a different blog software (and another learning curve).  :(

I would really appreciate it if you would take a look, make comments as appropriate, and let me know if you experience any problems.  TomTheSawyer@gmail.com

http://Live-Edge-Blog.TomTheSawyer.net

Thanks for the help,  ;)
Tom
Timberking B-20, log arch, F350 flatbed dump,
20' Trailer w/ log loading arch, Princeton forklift, Bobcat S250 w/ Frostbite grapple.  Nyle L200M kiln.

Offline bandmiller2

• Senior Contributor
Re: Live Edge Blog
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2018, 06:05:41 AM »
Tom, very professional, I had no problems and I'm syberly retarded. Its good form to explain and educate potential customers as most don't have the foggiest idea about the milling process. Especially how their charged for milling services. Frank C.

Offline Ox

• Senior Contributor
  • Trying to learn/remember something new every day.
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2018, 10:40:35 AM »
Impressive - I'm sure it will help you in the future.  It might also help with potential time wasters wanting to know too much for too long - you can refer them to your blog.

Everything seemed to work and it looked well thought out and executed.  Good job!

K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Offline Tom the Sawyer

• Tom the Sawyer
  • Major Contributor
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2018, 11:13:33 AM »
Thanks for taking a look.  I have always thought that clients that were well-informed, were easier to satisfy.  If I don't know what they expect, or they don't know what to expect, it'll be tough to keep both sides happy.

With the previous blog program I was using, it was reportedly difficult to leave comments - I only had one comment in several thousand views.  This program will hold the first comment someone submits (along with certain other criteria), send me an email, and after I approve it, they can post freely.  It is done that way to decrease the potential for spam (I certainly haven't had a problem with too many comments.)  :D

If any of you tried to leave a comment on the blog, please let me know. 

Thanks,
Tom
20' Trailer w/ log loading arch, Princeton forklift, Bobcat S250 w/ Frostbite grapple.  Nyle L200M kiln.

Offline furu

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2018, 09:26:40 PM »
I have perused much of your blog but not all of yet. 
It is obvious that you have put a lot of time and effort in to it and it shows. 

Nice job. 

When I have the time I will spend more time going through the entirety of it.

One thing I noticed right off the bat was the partial paragraphs that just end in a hanging sentence/word.  I did not realize that you had to click on READ MORE to see the rest of the paragraph.  I thought that READ MORE was to get more detailed information, not complete the partial sentence and then get more detail.  Maybe it is just me but if there was room in the space to complete the thought/concept that was initially presented that would read better.  End that thought then complete/fill out more detail on the idea when you click READ MORE.
Integrity is not just doing the right thing.
Integrity is not just doing the right thing when no one is looking.
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one else will ever even know.

Offline Tom the Sawyer

• Tom the Sawyer
  • Major Contributor
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2018, 10:51:24 PM »
furu,

I had noticed that and I tried to find a setting that controlled that the length.  I think it automatically clips it after so many characters.  It does seem that stopping in mid-sentence might get people to click the "Read More" button, much like Facebook does with its comments.  If it was a complete sentence, the reader might think that was all there was.  I'll keep looking.

Thanks for the feedback.

Offline drobertson

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2018, 08:07:23 AM »
I posted twice one under "benefits" the other "what's the point" hoping your addition works out for you, it looks good!

Offline Tom the Sawyer

• Tom the Sawyer
  • Major Contributor
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2018, 10:09:49 AM »
David, thanks for commenting.  It is a bit of a learning curve, your first comment went through but the second one went to the spam folder.  Once I approved the first comment, the second one was no longer "spam". 

Time is a commodity and I appreciate those who spend a little to read and comment (and Kirk's permission to post my link here).  Hopefully, it will be helpful.  ;)