alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description

Author Topic: Easy and tough logs  (Read 6276 times)

Offline mountainlake

• Senior Contributor
Easy and tough logs
« on: August 27, 2018, 06:58:46 AM »

I have about 2 hours of sawing this morning, the easy about 20 small pine logs just 2 sided down to 4 1/2" about 2 minutes  each then 1 30" snarly 20 year old white oak that is going to saw hard, I'll be using a Dakin flathers  3/4 pitch blade sharpened the first time to 4 degree. it should saw good but will make the diesel work hard.    Steve

Offline Kojba

• Major Contributor
Re: Easy and tough logs
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2018, 06:16:09 PM »
I bought some Kasco blades from "Cutting edge" (he's on this and other forums",, and so far they do well.  Of the last 15 I bought, 2 broke at the weld, but it was after a ton of sawing, and the sharpening was well gone.  Overall, the 7 degree Kasco is comparable to the Woodmizer 7 degree turbo, but I might give the "stay sharp ability" to either one, depending upon the log and feed rate.  I do push the Woodmizer pretty hard, and they do well with a 38 horse gas kohler.  I cut everything under the sun today, mostly with the Kasco blades. From white and SYP pine, to white oak, red oak, lots of Poplar, and one cedar log to boot!  It was well past the 90 degree mark today, humid as hell, and no shade for the old man.  If only I could hold up like I used to.... :'(.   I did outpace two 40 year olds and a 15 year old boy, so what the hell.  I got some time left... HE HE   
Keep Ole Joe Boy Alive
or
Kiss Ole Joe Boy's Ass

Offline Kojba

• Major Contributor
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2018, 06:18:52 PM »
Almost forgot.  I'm drinking some well deserved cold beverages as I type.  No pain, no bitchin, no foolin.
Keep Ole Joe Boy Alive
or
Kiss Ole Joe Boy's Ass

Offline mountainlake

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2018, 04:29:36 PM »

I got done with the 20 2 sided pine logs in about 45 minutes and the big white oak took a hour, 15 minute to hook up and get paid so made it in 2 hours. The big 375 bf white oak sawed hard, had to change the blade after opening it up as it waved just a bit in those 20" cuts, most likely a lot of dirt in the fuzzy wood on the edges, the center was sound and made the diesel smoke once in a while.  After changing the blade even the wide cut were nice and straight, I slabbed off about a 8" cant off 2 sides and slid them on to the loading arms and later turned them up to get quarter sawn and rift sawn boards out of them.  The center 6" cant I turned up and sawed 2 x 6 planks  out of it .   Steve

Online Ox

• Senior Contributor
  • Trying to learn/remember something new every day.
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2018, 08:34:23 AM »
I'm just a little envious.  I don't know of a single white oak tree anywhere on this whole mountain top.  All red oak.
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Offline Stevem

• Old Timers Club
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2018, 11:44:06 AM »
I got two Kasco blades as samples.  Really liked the way they cut.  Sharpened them once and one of them broke, 3 teeth from the weld and the other cut 1/2 of an insulator before it jumped off the band wheels with many missing teeth.  Oh well, so much for that.
Stevem
Because you can doesn't mean you should!

Offline bandmiller2

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2018, 07:31:03 PM »
Steve, I have cut a lot of old hard oak, the logs where the sapwood has rotted. I have got some of the prettiest most stable boards from the heartwood, very dense. I slow down in the real hard stuff. My mill is powered with a 15 hp three phase Baldor motor it never gets more than warm to the touch. Frank C.