alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description

Author Topic: Sharp bands  (Read 18211 times)

Offline furu

• Senior Contributor
Re: Sharp bands
« Reply #25 on: September 09, 2018, 01:56:45 PM »
Well I for one am enjoying and learning from this thread. 
I am now considering trying some bands that I have not considered previously.   
A lot of my understanding of blade design is from my reading about why the different features are what they are.
I also question a lot of what I see due to the hype that surrounds some of the advertising.  I unfortunately, for so many reasons, trust nothing that I see in an advertisement due to the blatant tendency of marketing and advertisers to try to sway folks to buy their product in ways that I disagree with. 

I have enjoyed Richard's (Cutting Edge Saw Svc) posts and explanations ever since he joined this forum and the other comments from you guys very much. 
While I do not consider myself to be a new guy to the sawing world and I am not a neophyte I am always looking to learn and have much to learn as well.
Steve has cut more lumber than I will ever even come close to even if I live to be a hundred.  Frank C and others probably as well.  We all bring so much to the table.
Richard has more knowledge on blades and the background to their design than I will ever have myself.
The ability to actually read about  the good, the bad, and the ugly without being prevented from holding that discussion is what makes this place great.  You could not even have this type of open discussion elsewhere and that limits the value of that forum to many people.
Let's keep this up.  This is what makes an open discussion so valuable.

Thank you guys!

Integrity is not just doing the right thing.
Integrity is not just doing the right thing when no one is looking.
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one else will ever even know.

Offline mountainlake

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #26 on: September 09, 2018, 03:55:06 PM »
 Furu 

I for sure don't know anything about designing band saw blades but I do know what works for me and that's all I report plus I'm not afraid to try different blades.  I've never tried the  Timberwolf Frank runs but I should.  Steve

Offline bandmiller2

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #27 on: September 09, 2018, 08:17:54 PM »
Maybe Richard knows, how many steel mills supply the band stock and is their one standard alloy for bands. Would seem to me the band stock arrives in big rolls the teeth punched, set, tips induction hardened and finally ground. Frank C.

Offline Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
« Reply #28 on: September 09, 2018, 09:32:01 PM »
I sharpen and set my own.  Best investment I ever made!
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is watching!

Offline bandmiller2

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #29 on: September 10, 2018, 06:57:47 AM »
Before I got the automatic band grinder I did it by hand on a modified bench grinder. It worked well but was tiring on your hands. You dress the wheel with the radius of the gullet. Suffolk Timberwolf out on long island had plans and directions to modify a bench grinder they would send you, I don't know if they still do it. My first setter was a single tooth I made with a Destako over center clamp and a foot pedal to clamp the band, worked well but slow. All this slow stuff messed with Miller time. I built a dual tooth setter that's fast and easy. This sharpening is not rocket science you just carefully copy what a new band looks like, angles and set. Frank C.