alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description

Author Topic: BOW MATERIAL  (Read 21523 times)

Offline Frank Pender - AKA "Tail Gunner"

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
    • www.TanglewoodTimber@aol.com
BOW MATERIAL
« on: February 22, 2008, 09:54:25 PM »
I have a past student that is seeking a piece of wood for a long bow.  I understand that the is fella on this site that cuts a great deal of a particular wood, that would fit the bill.  Osage Orange is the wood I want.  The stick needs to be 3" square and 7' long, to guarantee the bow can be made.  Is there a producer of such wood around this forum?   

Offline joasis

• Circle sawyer
  • Administrator
  • Senior Contributor
Re: BOW MATERIAL
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2008, 03:16:13 AM »
I heard of a guy in Texas that went to Illinois and hauled some Osage Orange back.....maybe we can get him to get you a piece, if you pay enough! :o
Ladwig Construction
Hennessey, Oklahoma
    405 853 1563

If anyone has any issues, I can be reached at the number above, anytime.

Offline Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2008, 09:53:48 AM »
And in apprecation of turning him onto the FREE logs, storing them for months for FREE, and even adding some Cherry logs into the mix when the trucker came to get them (FOR FREE) I get back stabbed with his claims of being snake bit.   >:(

I know while driving across country we hear those types on the CB and we call them Radio Rambo's.  Well that guy is no different.  All mouth with no assets to back it up. 

Frank, I have what the guy needs and will let you know when I have it ready. 
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is watching!

Offline joasis

• Circle sawyer
  • Administrator
  • Senior Contributor
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2008, 10:58:19 AM »
Now Kirk, you know I was only teasing.....so when are you bringing me a load? Better yet, since they are free, how about milling them so they won't take up as much room, and you might plane them....no point in me having to plane the boards if you saw them..... ;D
Ladwig Construction
Hennessey, Oklahoma
    405 853 1563

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2008, 02:22:19 PM »
What a bunch of friends we have around here.  Ohhh, my back hurts, sometimes as well. ;D

Offline Stevem

• Old Timers Club
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2008, 07:50:45 PM »
Temper, temper!
Not good for blood pressure
Stevem
Because you can doesn't mean you should!

Offline Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2008, 09:01:41 PM »
The story of the free trees goes back a ways Steve and its rather humerous. Once I anounced I had an unlimted supply of Osage trees free for the taking it quickly turned into people wanting to know what length logs I was going to cut them into for them and whether or not they would fit on their trailers etc. 

The emails I got was in fact enough to raise the blood pressure as some of them actually expected me to cut down the trees for them, buck the logs and load them on their trailers.  After sharing some of that frustration my freinds jumped right in and wanted the lumber cut to their specs, dried, and surfaced on 4 sides. ::) ;D 

The whole adventure was a blast except for one bad apple that for some reason thinks he got snake bit on the deal, which by the way had no money changing hands at all. The trees were free for the taking! 

And for the record, my blood pressure is consistantly 127/75  ;D

Offline Stevem

• Old Timers Club
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2008, 12:02:59 AM »
OK,  It just sounded a little tense but I wan't privey to any of the details.  Seems like snake bitting is a popular term lately! 

Do you ship logs too?
Stevem
Because you can doesn't mean you should!

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2008, 07:58:32 AM »
Only if his Surburban were still around to do the hauling.  Now that will change his pressure.

Let me know a price andI willshare tht with the student.  I will need to knowthe shipping as well.  I would assume that you would place it in a carboard tube of some sort for protection?

Offline Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2008, 08:01:17 AM »
Rest assured, no tension here.  ;)

We have shipped logs before but havent realy focused on that type of market since the cut Osage brings such a premium. 

The term "snake bit" must have been a Texas thing. When the guy came up to cut trees I told him to paint an orange dot on the ends of the logs he cut so we could know which logs were his since they all got loaded and hauled together in most cases.  He did that and I had his logs all seperated and ready for him to pick up at my place.

In the mean time, one of the local farmers who helped me cut all these trees wanted me to cut some lumber for him.  I told him the same thing.  Mark the logs you want lumber out of.  He marked them with orange surveyors paint.  When I posted pics of the FAS 12+ inch wide boards on another Forum you could see a couple boards in the guys pickup that had orange paint on the ends. 

Well, you can imagine the rest.  The second the guy from Texas saw those pictures he "assumed" I had used his logs to cut them and I guess that what he calls "snake bit" so now he tells everyone I snake bit him.   

The sad part is this person was welcomed into my home, slept in our spare bedroom and even with all the hospitality of that and free trees for the cutting, he jumped to such a silly conclusion before asking me why the boards had orange paint on them. 

Little does he know, I have several logs still that have orange paint because when his logs were loaded and gone I continued to reap free trees and I had to mark my own to keep the firewood guys out of it.  So I guess if one of those orange dotted boards shows up in a picture he will assume I kept even more of his logs ::)

I will never understand why a person cant be man enough to openly discuss issues and resolve them like adults.  Way to many rather hide behind the computer screen and make things up and twist the story to make them look good while taking measures to prevent the other person from sharing their side of what happen. 

That is part of why we are so insistant here that there are no hidden discussions about things where people cant present their side of an issue.  Self defense is a persons right and we wont take that away here. We embrace it! ;)

OK, back on track ;D

Anyone needing any Bow Material let me know as we have some of the best osage in the Country for Bows!

Offline joasis

• Circle sawyer
  • Administrator
  • Senior Contributor
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2008, 08:39:57 AM »
Are you ignoring me? When do I get my free load of sawn and planed osage? Careful now, or I will create a woodshed so we can whip you in private! ;D
Ladwig Construction
Hennessey, Oklahoma
    405 853 1563

Offline Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2008, 09:14:34 AM »
Jay, your logs are here for the taking and if/when I get a trip going your way I will bring them.   ;)

There hard enough you could build your own lifetime woodshed  :D

Offline joasis

• Circle sawyer
  • Administrator
  • Senior Contributor
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2008, 09:20:00 AM »
I know you are having trouble with your eyes....you missed the part about sawn and planed, huh? ::)
Ladwig Construction
Hennessey, Oklahoma
    405 853 1563

Offline Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2008, 09:21:24 AM »
I saw it ;)  Just chose to ignore it :D

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2008, 08:58:24 AM »
Do you have a price for a piece of wood that fits the bill.

Offline Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2008, 05:10:52 PM »
No charge Frank.  If it works out for him he will be back for more.  Normal price for straight grain Osage is $15 bf. 

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2008, 08:30:38 AM »
Please send one out.  I will cover the costs for him, as a gift and being one of my "Pender Critters".

Offline Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2008, 08:36:29 AM »
I will as soon as I can get to my logs.  Its a soup bowl here and unless we get a hard freeze nothing is moving for a few weeks. :'(

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2008, 10:06:32 PM »
Any vision on when the wood will leave the swamp country? :angel:

Offline mike p

• Senior Contributor
  • adicted to the aroma of oak
« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2008, 06:34:55 AM »
WELL LUCKLY ITS ORANGE FRANK so it wont rot in this deckaide
i helped rebuild a fence for an old guy looked to be 80-90 we reused the original corner headge posts ,
the guy claimed he helped his dad put them in while in high school, the posts were rock solid & about 12" in diameter , wire came off in little brittle lengths
Eagle's Nest Tree farm & Sawmill
BSA Scoutmaster Retired
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from
 too much government.
   Thomas Jefferson 1802
 No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.

Thomas Jefferson

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2008, 06:32:55 PM »
There is hope, then.  I have 27 years sbefore I am 90. :D

Offline Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2008, 07:20:14 PM »
Frank, your on the list but with .5" of rain yesterday we are still a mud hole.  I even got the forklift stuck in the gravel its so soft below it. 

We are saturated around here but it is looking better with highs in the 70's. 

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2008, 08:30:43 PM »
I know that, Kirk.  I am just having some fun with you.  We had as couple three inches of snow around here this morning, along with snow fluries throughout the morning hours.  The afternoon has been filled with spotty rain showers and sunny periods.  Rigdht now, we have lots of blue sky and big puffy white clouds while I am in for the night.  Bummer, for sure.  I ought to be out sawing lumber, but I have been up since 5 this morning and am a bit tired.