alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description

Author Topic: WANTED: Used, Alaskan sawmill, 30" bar  (Read 15427 times)

Offline ESCANABAJOSH

• Major Contributor
WANTED: Used, Alaskan sawmill, 30" bar
« on: April 11, 2008, 02:50:59 PM »
hey everyone......i'm just getting into woodworking and want a full size mill, but right now i can't afford it so i decide to go with a alaskan, so if anyone's got one they don't need/want anymore please let me know, thanks. also any input or advice on them i would greatly appriciate.

Offline joasis

• Circle sawyer
  • Administrator
  • Senior Contributor
Re: WANTED: Used, Alaskan sawmill, 30" bar
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2008, 02:55:58 PM »
I don't know anything about the "Alaskan" style of mill from direct experience, but it is a slow, tedious way to make boards. Just for what it is worth, keep you eye on eBay for saw mills....use the key word sawmill, bandmill, and saw mill....and see if you can pick one up in your price range. I know there are Alaska type mills on there cheap as well.
Ladwig Construction
Hennessey, Oklahoma
    405 853 1563

If anyone has any issues, I can be reached at the number above, anytime.

Offline Frank Pender - AKA "Tail Gunner"

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
    • www.TanglewoodTimber@aol.com
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2008, 09:49:12 PM »
I will do some asking in my neighborhood and see what I can find, for you.

Offline joasis

• Circle sawyer
  • Administrator
  • Senior Contributor
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2008, 07:24:55 AM »
There are 2 cheap circle mills listed, and a few others. I know money doesn't grow on trees, and maybe you can fit one of these into your budget.

http://business.search.ebay.com/sawmill_Agriculture-Forestry_W0QQcatrefZC6QQdfspZ1QQfposZ73742QQfromZR2QQfsooZ1QQfsopZ1QQftrtZ1QQftrvZ1QQsabfmtsZ1QQsacatZ11748QQsadisZ200QQsargnZQ2d1QQsaslcZ2QQsbrftogZ1QQsofocusZbs
Ladwig Construction
Hennessey, Oklahoma
    405 853 1563

Offline adk patroller

• Contributor
    • Hostetter's Wood 4-$ale
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2008, 06:35:54 PM »
I saw two 30" Alaskas on E-bay on Friday.  Search for saw mills.
+

Hostetter's Wood 4-$ale

Offline ESCANABAJOSH

• Major Contributor
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2008, 04:13:40 AM »
how big of a saw does the 30" need? i think i may have to go smaller to fit in my $ range

Offline joasis

• Circle sawyer
  • Administrator
  • Senior Contributor
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2008, 10:00:04 AM »
A little food for thought. An old Belsaw mill, like the cheap ones on eBay, can be had very reasonably. They can be a true 1 man mill, like a bandmill...and will do acceptable work. I have seen them sell for $500....pretty cheap, considering the blade often times is worth that. The only downfall is they are a circle mill, and can be extremely dangerous. Just about anything that makes logs into lumber can hurt you, a circle mill will not forgive any mistakes. The advantage is they are a real mill, parts are available, and if you are mechanically inclined, working on one is a piece of cake...plus you can power them from a tractor, or even an automotive motor.....they don't take big horsepower.

I have been in the money crunch before, but I doubt you would be happy with an Alaskan style mill unless you plan on very little cutting.
Ladwig Construction
Hennessey, Oklahoma
    405 853 1563

Offline Frank Pender - AKA "Tail Gunner"

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
    • www.TanglewoodTimber@aol.com
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2008, 11:53:21 AM »
You asre so right J.  By the time you set up an Alaskan mill you will have almost that much into it that a small circle mill would be a great investment.  Besides it is a circle mill. ;D

Offline ESCANABAJOSH

• Major Contributor
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2008, 02:37:58 PM »
thats funny ya mention that cause i was at work today thinking about one of them circle mill's, i've seen band mills ran but never a circle. i'll have to look into that, cause the saw i got is way to small and i realy have no use for a saw with a 3 foot bar besides the alaskan so ya it would kinda be a waste.

i got this other idea today but i'll post it on a diffrent post later tonight, well gotta get to school, again thanks for all the help.