alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description

Author Topic: Looking for a planer, Grizzly ok?  (Read 25491 times)

Offline bandmiller2

• Senior Contributor
Re: Looking for a planer, Grizzly ok?
« Reply #25 on: October 08, 2018, 07:02:48 PM »
Liberals trying to wear down Trump is like fighting a fire with kerosene , he thrives on it. Frank C.

Offline Ox

• Senior Contributor
  • Trying to learn/remember something new every day.
« Reply #26 on: October 10, 2018, 06:38:32 PM »
I agree.  He seems to love the constant liberal/democratic attacks.  He trolls them constantly, but in a polite and respectful way.  They can't stand it!  I laugh almost daily with their antics.  The latest is I hear the Dems are thinking of running.............guess who?.................Hillary again!!!  for 2020 election.  It's good to know we have another easy win in store!  8 years of America first is in no way a bad thing for we Americans.  I'm loving it.  It's about damn time.  That traitorous Muslim tried like hell to tear us down but here we are better than ever.  Thing is, Obummer's taking the credit for our greatness right now...says he set it all up for Trump ahead of time.  What a piece of literal shit Obama is.  I wish he also would just die in the best way he knows how.
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Offline mike p

• Senior Contributor
  • adicted to the aroma of oak
« Reply #27 on: October 12, 2018, 04:38:43 PM »
I'm in wonder everyday that there are 40%+ Liberals in this country.
Lot of stupid power grabbers
Eagle's Nest Tree farm & Sawmill
BSA Scoutmaster Retired
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from
 too much government.
   Thomas Jefferson 1802
 No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline A.O.

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #28 on: October 28, 2018, 08:58:31 AM »
OK,BACK TO THE PLANER QUESTION FOR A BIT.

I have a line on a Delta DC 580 planer, 5 hp, single phase with a set of extra blades and mobile base. The guy says he's the second owner and its in good shape, and looking at the pics it looks to be what he says. $1300... thoughts? Oh , and about 3 1/2 hrs away.

Offline furu

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #29 on: October 28, 2018, 11:39:47 AM »
What do they go for as a comparison when you search them on line.  If it is comparable it might be your opportunity to jump.
Integrity is not just doing the right thing.
Integrity is not just doing the right thing when no one is looking.
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one else will ever even know.

Offline A.O.

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #30 on: October 28, 2018, 11:41:51 AM »
What do they go for as a comparison when you search them on line.  If it is comparable it might be your opportunity to jump.

Pricewise you mean? All over the board. Cheapest I've seen is $1000, up to $2500

Offline furu

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #31 on: October 28, 2018, 02:54:32 PM »
If it is good shape and has the power and capability to do what you want I would take the 3.5 hour drive and take a look. 
Worst case you drive 7 hours (round trip) for nothing,
best case you have found the planer that you want.

Offline A.O.

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #32 on: October 28, 2018, 03:21:31 PM »
Yeah, I'm thinking next weekend probably.

Offline Ox

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #33 on: October 29, 2018, 08:43:46 AM »
It would be mine come next day off I had, if I had the money for it.  You'll like it.  Heck, just about anything a step or two up from homeowner quality will be like comparing apples and oranges.
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Offline A.O.

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #34 on: October 29, 2018, 08:48:07 AM »
It would be mine come next day off I had, if I had the money for it.  You'll like it.  Heck, just about anything a step or two up from homeowner quality will be like comparing apples and oranges.

I'm just a little worried its overkill. Lots of money, takes up LOTs of room, and heavy as hell!
And how often would I really plane something 20" ? And yes I know, the day after I bought a 15 incher I'd need 20"!!

Offline furu

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #35 on: October 29, 2018, 12:49:38 PM »
It is an almost always true adage............... You can rarely go too big or too capable. 

Frequently you find that you purchase just what you need at this moment in time and that your needs grow and soon you are looking for the next size up but you hesitate because you will look foolish as you now have to figure out what to do with the one that is now too small.  I subscribe to going one size up on nearly every item that I research and purchase.  Even so I find myself wondering how to fix the undersizing of something I have. 

In 2014 I got myself my "dream truck."  I had wanted one for many years.  A 2006 Dodge 3500 Ram 5.9 Cummins.  The saying goes you buy the engine and the truck just comes along with it.
Thought that it would be big enough for anything I ever would haul with it. 

Fast forward 15 months and I had a 21K capable trailer with a 14K forestry masticator and the  weight is a bit over the Ram's limit. 
Yes it handles it just fine, no issue there at all, but legally I am over the GCVWR and that could be an issue.  An example of go one size larger than you think you need and maybe it will work out.  If you get exactly the size you need now you may find down the road the next larger size would have been better. 

Get the 20" capability planer.

If you have the room to house the unit and the $1300 is within or just a little bit over the budget for what you want  then this is the right item if it functions and is in good shape.  Of course make certain that you can still gets parts for the unit.

Offline A.O.

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #36 on: October 29, 2018, 08:19:54 PM »
It is an almost always true adage............... You can rarely go too big or too capable. 

Frequently you find that you purchase just what you need at this moment in time and that your needs grow and soon you are looking for the next size up but you hesitate because you will look foolish as you now have to figure out what to do with the one that is now too small.  I subscribe to going one size up on nearly every item that I research and purchase.  Even so I find myself wondering how to fix the undersizing of something I have. 

In 2014 I got myself my "dream truck."  I had wanted one for many years.  A 2006 Dodge 3500 Ram 5.9 Cummins.  The saying goes you buy the engine and the truck just comes along with it.
Thought that it would be big enough for anything I ever would haul with it. 

Fast forward 15 months and I had a 21K capable trailer with a 14K forestry masticator and the  weight is a bit over the Ram's limit. 
Yes it handles it just fine, no issue there at all, but legally I am over the GCVWR and that could be an issue.  An example of go one size larger than you think you need and maybe it will work out.  If you get exactly the size you need now you may find down the road the next larger size would have been better. 

Get the 20" capability planer.

If you have the room to house the unit and the $1300 is within or just a little bit over the budget for what you want  then this is the right item if it functions and is in good shape.  Of course make certain that you can still gets parts for the unit.

Yeah, but then I may have to get a larger chip collector and...…  where will it end?

Offline Ox

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #37 on: October 30, 2018, 10:54:09 AM »
Maybe advertise you can plane up to 20" - it'll help pay itself off.

The chips can be shoveled for now.  Maybe put down a tarp and let all chips fall onto it, then pull up corners and drag it outside for disposal.

Think baby steps!

If you want it, you'll make it work, right? 

Offline A.O.

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #38 on: November 09, 2018, 08:14:24 AM »
Ok, so an UPDATE on this planer search.. yes I'm still looking.

I took a pass on the big Delta. it just seemed to be to large and a bit overkill for what I am needing, wanting.

So I tracked down a Jet JWP160s that looks to be in good shape. Its 3+hrs away, oh well, something to do on Sunday.

It seems to be more my size, not too heavy, doesn't take up too much space, and is 3hp 220 so it should have plenty of power. It comes with a mobile base, has a couple sets of extra blades ( I need to figure out where to get them sharpened) and the blade setting gage/tool. So pretty much ready to go. I'm stoked and I hope it is as nice as advertised. I'm taking some of my wood off of my mill to test it out to show me what it will do with what I'm using.YAY!

Offline Ox

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #39 on: November 09, 2018, 09:27:57 AM »
For sharpening, a member here, Cutting Edge, will take right good care of you, and I will bet a dollar that they will be sharp enough to be scary.  Maybe give him a shout - mailing your blades to him probably won't be as bad as you think and good, sharp blades last a long, long time.

Offline A.O.

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #40 on: November 09, 2018, 10:12:58 AM »
For sharpening, a member here, Cutting Edge, will take right good care of you, and I will bet a dollar that they will be sharp enough to be scary.  Maybe give him a shout - mailing your blades to him probably won't be as bad as you think and good, sharp blades last a long, long time.

Ok, I knew he sharpened bands, didn't know he sharpened planer blades.

Offline Ox

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #41 on: November 10, 2018, 08:32:57 AM »
He put up a website up recently that explains what they can do:

https://cesawservice.business.site/

Pretty diversified business if you ask me! 

Offline red oaks lumber

• Major Contributor
« Reply #42 on: November 11, 2018, 10:02:56 AM »
going with a wider planer gives a lot of flexibility, besides the obvious ability to plane wider lumber. personally the bigger benefit is, it allows you more knife to keep using across the width. nothing more frustrating than doing finished planing and you get a nick in the knife, not being able to move over and keep going.
 in regards to sharping blades, almost any machine shop that has a surface grinder has the ability to sharpen for you.
follow your heart, the rest will happen

Offline A.O.

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #43 on: November 11, 2018, 03:54:30 PM »
So, I bought the Jet JWP-160s today, tomorrow I'll tear it apart clean and inspect.

Offline drobertson

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #44 on: November 12, 2018, 05:00:03 AM »
Looks like you got a good one. I was going to suggest that the ones with indexable inserts on the cutting head. But this one is a good one. The price increase can make them cost prohibitive, unless you're in a higher production mode where down time and quality are affected. 16" is a good width

Offline bandmiller2

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #45 on: November 12, 2018, 06:14:46 AM »
I have an old Parks 12" planer, between sharpening's, I use a small slip stone and touch up the knife edges. You just copy the angles on the knife. Frank C.

Offline A.O.

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #46 on: November 12, 2018, 07:09:32 AM »
Looks like you got a good one. I was going to suggest that the ones with indexable inserts on the cutting head. But this one is a good one. The price increase can make them cost prohibitive, unless you're in a higher production mode where down time and quality are affected. 16" is a good width

Yeah, this one is used so you kinda get what comes. It did come with the knife setting gauge at least, and 2 extra sets of blades. Thinking about getting a sharpener. A sharpener is $300, everyone wants .75 cents an inch to sharpen, so for 3 sets of blades, that's 144 inches of blades, would be $108 and a little more with shipping. If I sharpened them all 3 times... it just paid for itself.

I like the fact the table on this doesn't change height, the head goes up and down. If I want to build it into a bench system it will work, that's how I've had my bench planer set up for years.

And I think 16" will be fine, and its about half the weight of the 20 incher I was looking at so it will be WAY easier to move, and it came with the mobile base also.

Offline A.O.

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #47 on: November 12, 2018, 07:13:16 AM »
I have an old Parks 12" planer, between sharpening's, I use a small slip stone and touch up the knife edges. You just copy the angles on the knife. Frank C.

I've actually got one of those made for jointer/planer blades somewhere, I'll have to dig it up

Offline A.O.

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #48 on: November 15, 2018, 12:10:42 PM »

Seems ok! Ran into a few problems but was able to take care of them. The guy I bought it from was most certainly not a maintenance freak to say the least! After going through and fixing a couple things and re-adjusting pretty much everything seems to work pretty well. Keeping my fingers crossed!

The blades on the machine were about as dull as the back side of a butter knife, He had one extra set that were sharp, and with the blade setting gauge were pretty simple to change out.

Offline joasis

• Circle sawyer
  • Administrator
  • Senior Contributor
« Reply #49 on: November 17, 2018, 05:39:26 AM »
I started on reading this, thinking about my 718 Woodmaster, and what a pita it is to set the blades on it. I wonder if they offer a spiral head with carbide blades?

Yes boys, getting the shop cleaned up and going to start making sawdust again....even have the electric mill moved. Been playing with getting my home machine shop up and running first for a new adventure.
Ladwig Construction
Hennessey, Oklahoma
    405 853 1563

If anyone has any issues, I can be reached at the number above, anytime.