alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description

Author Topic: Bought a new Woodmizer Sharpener  (Read 10350 times)

Offline Kojba

• Major Contributor
Bought a new Woodmizer Sharpener
« on: October 04, 2018, 06:54:03 PM »
I recently purchased a Woodmizer 250 automatic sharpener.  I really like this sharpener.  With two grinding wheels, it cost $2050.00 dollars (aprox), and I feel it was worth it! :)  When I got home, I sharpened 30 bands, quickly.  It took way more time to clean the surface rust off the bands, then it did to sharpen.  Even though the price was steep, I can see know that it will pay for itself fairly quickly.  I've got two friends who want me to sharpen for them, so maybe this will help pay for it?  I was spending about 4-6 hundred a month on new blades, and didn't have anyone local that could sharpen them after they got dull.  I didn't mind paying 8 dollars for sharpening, but I usually only got back 60% of my blades, and that was a little hard to swallow.  Sending them off to sharpen added another 2-3 bucks per blade, and I never could get organized enough to have them sharpened in time for a rush job.  Just thought I'd share my story; I'll let you know how I feel a couple of months from now!   :P

KOJBA
Keep Ole Joe Boy Alive
or
Kiss Ole Joe Boy's Ass

Offline Crusarius

• Causing trouble and breaking shit
  • Senior Contributor
  • Hmm what does this button d....
    • RockModified
Re: Bought a new Woodmizer Sharpener
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2018, 07:21:39 AM »
is that he one with the shaped wheel?

I am not a fan of having to have multiple wheels for different profiles.

Offline Ox

• Senior Contributor
  • Trying to learn/remember something new every day.
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2018, 08:06:20 AM »
Having your own sharpener is great.  And yes, sharpening for a few others will definitely help pay for it.  It'll only take a year or two and you'll have it paid for. 

I remember doing the math back when I was toying around with buying a sharpener and I figured out (with a few calls) that it would cost me a bit over $10 per blade to send out, get it sharpened, and get it back here.  I also figured if I sharpened blades just for myself 200 times I'll have the sharpener paid for.  Plus I sharpen for two other guys around here so that helps as well.

It also adds another level of self sufficiency that a few people like to have.  I'm one of them.
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Offline Kojba

• Major Contributor
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2018, 11:18:35 AM »
is that he one with the shaped wheel?

I am not a fan of having to have multiple wheels for different profiles.

Yes, it has the shaped wheel.  I guess, it's kind of a personal choice thing.  I used to have a TK drag sharpener, and could never seem to get it set and working properly.  I'm not a man with a ton of patience, so having something that works a majority of the time, helps.    I looked at the Cook's sharpener, but there has been a lot of negative comments about it.  I'm sure it's just as good as any other out there, just a Ford and Chevy argument.  With the Cooks Sharpener, I believe you still have to buy wheels for different profiles, so it's a toss up IMO.   

I'm playing with this one now, making sure it covers the whole tooth profile.  It was supposed to be set from the factory, but as usual, I got the one that wasn't! :o
Keep Ole Joe Boy Alive
or
Kiss Ole Joe Boy's Ass

Offline Crusarius

• Causing trouble and breaking shit
  • Senior Contributor
  • Hmm what does this button d....
    • RockModified
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2018, 08:05:04 AM »
I cut my first hickory log yesterday. I really need to get a sharpener. damn that thing was hard. I love hickory so there will be a lot more coming. The new blade seemed to last about 3 beautiful smooth cuts before feeling dull.

Maybe I need to call richard and try some 4 degree kasco's?

Offline bandmiller2

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2018, 06:09:57 PM »
All sharpeners require adjustments, its 95% common sense, just watch and make necessary tweeks. Good luck mate. Frank C.

Offline Ox

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2018, 06:33:24 PM »
I would definitely give Richard a chance.  Those Kasco 4s are my favorite and don't care about even seasoned black locust, which is like cutting rock.  For our lower powered mills it's just a great blade.
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Offline Kojba

• Major Contributor
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2018, 09:27:58 PM »
I would definitely give Richard a chance.  Those Kasco 4s are my favorite and don't care about even seasoned black locust, which is like cutting rock.  For our lower powered mills it's just a great blade.
I've never tried a 4 degree blade.  I've heard there the cat's meow on hardwoods.  Do you narrow the tooth set when resharpening?
Keep Ole Joe Boy Alive
or
Kiss Ole Joe Boy's Ass

Offline Ox

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2018, 09:29:51 AM »
Each time you sharpen, the total set reduces because you're taking some material away.  I don't have separate blades for soft or hardwoods, they all just stay the same.  I used to push out the set and start at around .030 and then sharpen which leaves me at around .025 (guessing) and then I can get another resharp or two out of it before needing setting again.  I've heard some guys use less set for hardwoods, but I just don't mess around with it and I've always had good results.

I hope I answered your question?

Offline Banjo picker

• New Contributor
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2018, 09:22:39 PM »
I have the catclaw system same as Ox.  It works out well for me, in that I don't saw full time, and I don't need very many bands on hand at a time.  I order 10 at a time and sharpen them as I use them untill I get down to about 4 then order some more.  I don't mind the sharpening too much, but I don't care for the setting.  I have the single setter, and it takes a while to set one.  It does a good job though, and I have heard that some of the dual tooth setters are not so accurate.  I probably won't ever spend any more money on my sharpening set up.  Banjo Picker

Offline furu

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2018, 02:39:06 AM »
Welcome Banjo Picker.  Glad to see you.
Integrity is not just doing the right thing.
Integrity is not just doing the right thing when no one is looking.
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one else will ever even know.

Offline Kojba

• Major Contributor
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2018, 07:42:38 AM »
Welcome, Banjo Picker!  Nice to hear from you.  I bought the dual tooth setter on eBay (an older suffolk dual tooth setter, new), and am thoroughly enjoying it.  Fairly quick to set blades once you get it set up.  New models are 1200 from suffolk, but you can get an older model on eBay ($600), and buy the modification dies from suffolk, and update to the new version for $140. extra.  That makes the set the most accurate it can be by setting both back and front of the tooth.  Takes about 3 minutes to set a blade accurately by hand.  I can deal with that.  I bought a horizontal vise from Tractor Supply for $30.  and epoxied  two 12" extensions to the clamp.  This allows me to unset 12 inches at a time.  I put it next to the setter, so I can use the roller wheels to spin the blade while unsetting.  When not in use I simply remove it from the table.  So far, so good.  It is important to unset the teeth if you hit metal or have helpers like mine who just through old bands in the back of the truck and step on them... :'(  Mobile sawing can be hectic, and tiring, but I've got my helper on board with some sharpening duties, now he takes more care of the equipment and blades.  Imagine that!

One more thing, Suffolk sells a set gauge for $100.00 (included on the newer models), and it's necessary if you don't have a way of checking your set.  It's also very useful if you want to check blades in the field.
Keep Ole Joe Boy Alive
or
Kiss Ole Joe Boy's Ass

Offline Banjo picker

• New Contributor
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2018, 07:59:09 PM »
Thanks for the welcome.  I have heard good things about the suffolk equipment.  I can see how you would need to unset bands that get a little rough treatment.  I work by myself now, so I take pretty good care of the bands I take off the mill.  I am set up stationary and only have one regular customer that orders about one or two orders a month of specialty items I cut for them, so I will deal with my single tooth setter for a while longer, unless I run into a definate bargain...but I do have an ebay account so I will check on those suffolk setters.  Thanks again for the welcome.  I wondered where some of these guys had went.  Lots of familiar names on here.  Banjo

Offline Ox

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2018, 08:39:23 AM »
Welcome, Banjo picker.  I recognize your handle from the other forum.

I too have heard good things about dual tooth setters - but only the ones from Suffolk Machinery.  I hear their grinding stones/rocks are very good too.

Offline Banjo picker

• New Contributor
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2018, 07:23:43 PM »
There is a Suffolk dual setter on ebay for 600.00 brand new, but you cant read the model number and he don't have it put together to know how it looks.  Of the video I watched of a Suffolk on line, it clamped the blade really good before the set.  That would make a big difference in set quality.  I doubt that the one for 600 is the one I saw the video of.  That was probably their top of the line model.  Banjo

Offline Kojba

• Major Contributor
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2018, 08:53:28 PM »
The difference between the e-bay model, and the newer model is two-fold.  The older model will only take .045 width bands (possibly .050), and it doesn't have the back set tabs.  The back set tabs can be bought for $141.00 directly from suffolk, which makes it identical to the new model, without the ability to do .055 and larger.  This was told to me by Suffolk Machinery staff.
Keep Ole Joe Boy Alive
or
Kiss Ole Joe Boy's Ass

Offline Banjo picker

• New Contributor
« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2018, 06:10:25 PM »
Thanks for the info.  I do run .50 at times.  I have never run the .55's yet, but I wouldn't want to lock my self out of them either.  They may be the cats meow I haven't found yet.  It does seem that the thiner bands last longer that the heavy stock.  It's all a trade off, as you can cut a bit faster with the heaver blades.  Working by myself right now speed is not that great of a need, but that could change.  Banjo

Offline Kojba

• Major Contributor
« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2018, 12:51:34 PM »
Banjo, I don't know how to modify the old one for .055 bands, but if you've got the skills, I'm pretty sure it could be done.  I've got the Woodmizer sawmill guides, that allow me to run 1.5" blades, and they are the cat's meow!!  Runs straight and fast, seemed to last all day with the bi-metal- 7 degree turbos.  I like the wider blade in .045, seems to stay straight and cut longer, faster than a 1.25 blade.

Kojba
Keep Ole Joe Boy Alive
or
Kiss Ole Joe Boy's Ass

Offline kbeitz

• Collector and builder of many things.
  • Senior Contributor
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2019, 05:46:37 PM »
I'm cheap.... Works for me....

Well I was going to post a picture....
But I don't see the attachment button ?