alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description

Author Topic: Timberking edger  (Read 12857 times)

Offline drobertson

• Senior Contributor
Timberking edger
« on: October 10, 2018, 02:57:54 PM »
Anyone have experience with these talons?

Offline Ox

• Senior Contributor
  • Trying to learn/remember something new every day.
Re: Timberking edger
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2018, 06:39:51 PM »
Nope, sorry.  I'd love to have an edger but just can't let the money go for such a small operation like I have.  Keep us updated on what you find, though.  :)
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Offline Kojba

• Major Contributor
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2018, 09:24:38 PM »
The talon edger looks awesome!  I think it would be my first choice, if buying an edger. 
Keep Ole Joe Boy Alive
or
Kiss Ole Joe Boy's Ass

Offline drobertson

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2018, 06:20:08 AM »
They say the machines are good, but the first two my neighbor had broke down after a few short hours, very crappy design, I would not recommend ,

Offline furu

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2018, 01:47:02 PM »
When I ordered my TK mill I was planning on ordering the TK edger as well.  The individual that I was talking to strongly encouraged me not to buy the edger.  He never really gave a clear reason just strongly tried to direct me away from the purchase.  Based on everything that transpired I am very thankful that he kept me from buying the TK edger.  Maybe things have changed since then.
Integrity is not just doing the right thing.
Integrity is not just doing the right thing when no one is looking.
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one else will ever even know.

Offline drobertson

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2018, 05:56:53 AM »
The mills do seem adequately built, the edger clearly has a few design flaws , I'm pretty sure nothing has changed in that regard, based on the comment from the tech dude that came down. He said bunches are out in the field running everyday, and have been for years with "this" design,  Not sure what to say about that.

Offline Kojba

• Major Contributor
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2018, 09:06:04 PM »
The mills do seem adequately built, the edger clearly has a few design flaws , I'm pretty sure nothing has changed in that regard, based on the comment from the tech dude that came down. He said bunches are out in the field running everyday, and have been for years with "this" design,  Not sure what to say about that.

What sort of design flaws do they have?  I've only seen videos on the edgers, but anything can look good on an advertisement. ::)
I did have a chance to buy a used Woodmizer edger a couple of months ago, but I waited too long, and it was sold before I made up my mind (story of my life it seems).  Has anyone worked with a Woodmizer single blade edger?  Looks kinda cheesy , almost like a well built table saw.  But if it works???? Well, who am I to knock it? :o
Keep Ole Joe Boy Alive
or
Kiss Ole Joe Boy's Ass

Offline Crusarius

• Causing trouble and breaking shit
  • Senior Contributor
  • Hmm what does this button d....
    • RockModified
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2018, 07:21:28 AM »
Single blade edger is almost not worth it IMO. its just a glorified table saw with an auto feed. you can build an auto feed and put it on a tablesaw and be very happy.

Offline Kojba

• Major Contributor
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2018, 02:04:05 PM »
Single blade edger is almost not worth it IMO. its just a glorified table saw with an auto feed. you can build an auto feed and put it on a tablesaw and be very happy.

I don't think they are autpfeed.  You have to shove them through manually, just like a table saw.  The gas motor gives them the extra oomph, a table saw could be modified to support a gas motor without much trouble.
Keep Ole Joe Boy Alive
or
Kiss Ole Joe Boy's Ass

Offline Crusarius

• Causing trouble and breaking shit
  • Senior Contributor
  • Hmm what does this button d....
    • RockModified
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2018, 06:31:47 AM »
So it is an overpriced table saw with less functionality. Hmmmm I need one :) would be pretty kool to rig one up on the end of the mill so after cutting a board you can just feed it through. but it would have to have powerfeed.

Offline Stevem

• Old Timers Club
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2018, 10:57:45 AM »
I wouldn't think the mandrel (shaft for the saw blade) on a table saw would hold up to the daily use of ripping 2" boards, at least not on my table saw. 
Stevem
Because you can doesn't mean you should!

Offline red oaks lumber

• Major Contributor
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2018, 06:03:24 PM »
i had the talon edger.... junk, just junk. the only good thing about that edger is after 3 yrs it was scraped out  :( went back to edging on the mill, which we all know sucks !!
 currently running a wm edger.. the first one got replaced by wm for being a lemon. got the second one and had to do alot of fixing to make it work. honestly i can't recommend a good edger, sadly ;)
follow your heart, the rest will happen

Offline Kojba

• Major Contributor
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2018, 06:31:38 PM »
i had the talon edger.... junk, just junk. the only good thing about that edger is after 3 yrs it was scraped out  :( went back to edging on the mill, which we all know sucks !!
 currently running a wm edger.. the first one got replaced by wm for being a lemon. got the second one and had to do alot of fixing to make it work. honestly i can't recommend a good edger, sadly ;)

How many bdft do you produce a month?  I'm just a small time sawyer, thought just about anything would help me.  BUT... if they are all junk, maybe I'll just keep my money! ;D
Keep Ole Joe Boy Alive
or
Kiss Ole Joe Boy's Ass

Offline Banjo picker

• New Contributor
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2018, 08:58:31 PM »
I found a used Morgan at a decent price on the Mississippi Market bulleton several years ago.  It has a single phase 10 horse motor on on and I only use it to cut one bys....An edger with a one man operation will work you to death.  I usually edge on the mill.  Banjo

Offline bandmiller2

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2018, 05:31:58 AM »
Just one old farts opinion, but edger's fall under the nice to have category for small time millers. If you are making a living and depending on your mill for your beans by all means buy the best edger you can. The rest of us part time millers would be better off configuring our mills to make edging easier. My band mill is at a handy height with a dead deck. Boards to be edged are in two piles, narrow and wider. When my cant is down to 4 or 5 inches I stack the boards to be edged agents' it and clamp then flip for the other side. This eliminates messing with steel backstops  and their inherent danger. I work on one log at a time and don't let edgeable boards build up. Frank C.

Offline red oaks lumber

• Major Contributor
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2018, 06:27:35 AM »
true be told... for about 12 yrs. i sawed close to 100,000 bf per month. upgraded to the wm 4000 with the support equipment and production went to about 250,000 bf per month. ran hard that way for another 4 yrs. now? sawing 1 day per week. mainly because we couldn't find dependable help. so, my equipment reviews probably don't fairly represent average uses.
follow your heart, the rest will happen

Offline moodnacreek

• Major Contributor
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2019, 07:56:58 PM »
In a one man mill you gotta have a tailer or sweep table on the edger. Some rig up a return to operator belt on the side or even over the top. My edger works quite well but it took a long time to get it this way. It is a chase and this is a good design in fact most board edgers are made in this style today. There is one weakness however; the mandrel is only 1 15/16" and that is very small for the work I do. Edging  2" and even 3" locust could not be done with that small shaft so I put and old Volvo 4 spd. trans in the shaft that drives the feed rolls. Saw the hard stuff in creeper and watch the overhead guide lite on the board and keep it straight. The companion edgers for portable band mills may be fine for 1" pine or so but a machine twice that weight is barely enough to cut thick hardwood.

Offline starmac

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2019, 03:09:51 PM »
When I traded for my mill it came with a bellsaw 2 blade edger (minus the motor) It was at a different location (loaned out) and was delivered to a friends place. It has been stored there ever since, I have never even looked at it, done all my edging on the mill so far.

Offline moodnacreek

• Major Contributor
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2019, 03:42:12 PM »
Never herd anything good about a bell saw edger. If you get it running and it will feed the boards ok, put it in a dark shed with a shadow lite or laser above and learn to guide by hand.

Offline starmac

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2019, 03:46:52 PM »
No more than I cut, it is probably sitting in a good place, right where it is. I should at least take a gander at it one of these days though. lol

Offline kbeitz

• Collector and builder of many things.
  • Senior Contributor
« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2019, 03:22:02 PM »
I have and use a bell saw edger. I can't say if it's better than another brand.
It's the only one I've ever had. I love it... Especially when it's time to make stickers.
I got a 14hp Kohler engine running it.
Home made band saw mill.
Machine shop.
Wood work shop.
Weld shop.
Collector of mechanical things

Offline Ox

• Senior Contributor
  • Trying to learn/remember something new every day.
« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2019, 07:40:36 AM »
Well, go on, K and tell them how it was dragged out of the jungles of the south and how you brought it back from the dead.  I have the right story, don't I?  I mean, am I remembering this whole thing right?
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Offline kbeitz

• Collector and builder of many things.
  • Senior Contributor
« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2019, 02:13:39 PM »
Oh yes that was a long story....

I was on the other forum that we all moved away from and someone
was showing off some lumber that they just bought to build a barn.
In one photo of the lumber I seen the edger hiding under the boards.
I told the buyer that he had something that everyone was looking for.
He posted back saying he had nothing to do with sawing lumber and
he wanted nothing to do with the edger and he did not even bother to
take it home. Then he said he was going back in two weeks for some
reason and if it was still there he would take it home and I could have
it. I did not even answer the post because I live in Pa. and he was in FL.
Then another poster said "Hey Kevin I'm going to FL. in 3 weeks and I
will pick the edger up for you" So I posted back to the first guy and said
sure... Let me know if you got it... He did and poster #2 did bring it all
the way back to Pa. for me at no cost. Two people that I never met did
all that for little old me.  I think a building fell down on the edger. It was
flat. Even the blades... But I unflatened it. This is what it looked like when
I got it....

Home made band saw mill.
Machine shop.
Wood work shop.
Weld shop.
Collector of mechanical things