alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description

Author Topic: Order  (Read 7591 times)

Offline mountainlake

• Senior Contributor
Order
« on: October 11, 2018, 06:54:09 AM »

I got a order yesterday
  70  1x8  9'
 12    1x8   12'
 8 4x4   9'
  2  6x6   9'
12  2x4   10'
  and then the one I don't even think I'm going to try
  2   2x5   10'
  6   2x5   12'
  3   2x5   14'   quarter sawed clear
   even if I had logs that looked perfect on the outside you can bet I'd be running into knots before I got those QS boards.   Steve

Offline Ox

• Senior Contributor
  • Trying to learn/remember something new every day.
Re: Order
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2018, 09:31:17 AM »
Strange order.  All over the place, ain't it?  Those kinds of dimensions seem like they're for an old barn maybe.  Or real old house.
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Offline mike p

• Senior Contributor
  • adicted to the aroma of oak
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2018, 04:45:03 PM »
I once had an order for trailer floor .he wanted nothing smaller than 2 x10.
Biggest log he left was 12" on small end. Haha
Eagle's Nest Tree farm & Sawmill
BSA Scoutmaster Retired
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from
 too much government.
   Thomas Jefferson 1802
 No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Kojba

• Major Contributor
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2018, 09:42:18 AM »
Most of my logs are cut 9 foot and 16 foot.  Occasionally, I get a 12 or 14.  If someone wants 9 foot boards, and I all I have is 12 foot logs, I explain they can buy 12 foot and cut off what they need.  I can't afford to buy logs and turn 1/3 into firewood! 
Keep Ole Joe Boy Alive
or
Kiss Ole Joe Boy's Ass

Offline mountainlake

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2018, 10:38:36 AM »

I do get a good variety of lengths in here but nothing that is going to make long QS clear lumber. This order was from a reseller , I think 3 different customers.  Steve

Offline drobertson

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2018, 06:07:26 AM »
Steve you are right on the long clear, especially qs, I tried this year's ago, an add on wood planet, for a want, white oak clear, the money was fare, he paid shipping, but the number of logs required to get clear! Was out of the question. Even the best of the best butt ends still revealed pin knots after just a few drops, the thicker the board, the quicker came the knots.

Offline Ox

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2018, 09:48:31 AM »
Personally, I'll never understand why anyone would want clear wood.  It's almost soul-less to me.  Much like people who have scars and blemishes, it's these things that give us character just like wood and its knots or unusual grain patterns found in warty logs.
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Offline Crusarius

• Causing trouble and breaking shit
  • Senior Contributor
  • Hmm what does this button d....
    • RockModified
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2018, 11:32:29 AM »
they are also the ones that paint everything white.

Offline drobertson

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2018, 06:41:14 PM »
Well I agree on the character aspect, the fellow inquiring on clear white oak did  steam bends, even the smallest of pin knots busts out, so I get it, but it takes a pile of logs, clear 4 face logs,

Offline Ox

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2018, 09:20:21 AM »
OK, I understand a bit better now.  That's always a good thing.

Crusarius - I know what you mean - I've always hated seeing painted wood like that.  But I also appreciate the fact that there can almost be "too much wood" in a house with paneling for ceiling, walls and wood floors to boot.  Almost makes it seem cluttered somehow.  Weird.  Guess can't have it both ways...

Offline Crusarius

• Causing trouble and breaking shit
  • Senior Contributor
  • Hmm what does this button d....
    • RockModified
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2018, 07:28:14 AM »
Ox, I agree completely I love wood. I love character but to much wood is to much. Log cabins with wood floors, walls, and ceilings are way to much wood. Oh yea, and wood trim around windows and doors. Plus wood walls typically make the room darker and feel quite a bit tighter than a nice drywall wall. plus they echo. all things I always keep in mind when designing homes and remodels.

Offline Stevem

• Old Timers Club
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2018, 11:04:20 AM »
Bending oak needs to be clear as does white oak used in boat building.
VG or quarter sawn is very stable.  Used in doors and windows so they don't warp after install. Same applies to boat and barrel stock.  Also need to pay attention to slope of grain in those apps.
Stevem
Because you can doesn't mean you should!