alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description

Author Topic: Cleaning Rusty Band Blades  (Read 8871 times)

Offline Kojba

• Major Contributor
Cleaning Rusty Band Blades
« on: October 17, 2018, 07:10:43 PM »
After getting my new sharpener, I found myself going through my shed, pulling out a ton of old, rusty bands. Anyone would consider them useless, red/orange in color, certainly beyond anything you could send to a sharpening shop.  My son was with me, and he convinced me to try using Muriatic Acid on them.  I've never used MA on metal to remove rust, but what the hell, it was worth a try.
I went down to Lowe's and picked up a gallon for 10 bucks, and proceeded to brush the blades with the acid.  I was surprised at how quickly and easily the rust came off.  I followed up with a dry cloth, and am going to oil them tomorrow. 
If you decide to use this method, make sure you are outside in the open air; wear a respirator, and of course rubber gloves.  I also had some baking soda nearby in case it got on my hands.  It did make the metal a dull color, but I'm not after pretty blades, just sharp ones.  I have about 20 bands to clean, and hopefully it all works out okay.  Has anyone else tried this before?  Any suggestions?
I'll keep you updated on how it turns out.

Kojba
Keep Ole Joe Boy Alive
or
Kiss Ole Joe Boy's Ass

Offline Crusarius

• Causing trouble and breaking shit
  • Senior Contributor
  • Hmm what does this button d....
    • RockModified
Re: Cleaning Rusty Band Blades
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2018, 07:25:44 AM »
I would think first pass through a log would clean them up pretty good. just need to have some logs you don't care about run them all through, then ATF them right after they are clear.

Hopefully waiting overnight they are not all rusty again. its amazing how fast rust forms on clean steel. especially after a rust removal treatment.

Offline Kojba

• Major Contributor
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2018, 02:01:26 PM »
I would think first pass through a log would clean them up pretty good. just need to have some logs you don't care about run them all through, then ATF them right after they are clear.

Hopefully waiting overnight they are not all rusty again. its amazing how fast rust forms on clean steel. especially after a rust removal treatment.

Bingo!  They were already starting to rust this morning.... Damn, I've got to get this thing right!! ;D
Keep Ole Joe Boy Alive
or
Kiss Ole Joe Boy's Ass

Offline bandmiller2

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2018, 07:02:06 PM »
Muriatic acid will remove rust especially on the old cast iron carbs. You must wash it off and dry and oil the piece to prevent after rust. Its best used by dipping, don't breath the fumes. Do not use it on aluminum or pot metal parts they will disappear. Frank C.

Offline furu

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2018, 06:11:39 AM »
I have used MA  to prep welding projects after fabrication and before painting.  Works great at stripping off rust and most mill scale
Integrity is not just doing the right thing.
Integrity is not just doing the right thing when no one is looking.
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one else will ever even know.

Offline Ox

• Senior Contributor
  • Trying to learn/remember something new every day.
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2018, 09:58:52 AM »
After sharpening/after removal from mill for sharpening, I spray my blades with a 50/50 mix of ATF and kerosene.  It'll mist well from your average spray bottle, covers nicely and prevents rusting.  And it's cheap.  I concentrate on the gullets/tooth points and what mists beyond just kind of settles on the body of the blade.  It only takes a little bit of rust on your newly nicely sharpened blades to make them dull and my blades never go directly from the sharpener to the mill.  Just a thought to maybe help you prevent future rusting/ass-aches. 

Another benefit to using a CBN sharpener would be the oil used for lube/cooling.  It'll leave a film behind to help with rust.  Richard at Cutting Edge has some really good mineral oil he can ship you for this purpose.  High quality and lowest price I've found anywhere.

K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Offline Stevem

• Old Timers Club
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2018, 10:46:09 AM »
Stevem
Because you can doesn't mean you should!

Offline Ox

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2018, 10:13:44 AM »
Rust - messing up peoples' best intentions since the discovery of metalworking/smelting/forging, etc...
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Offline mike p

• Senior Contributor
  • adicted to the aroma of oak
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2018, 06:56:00 PM »
I Have you used electrolysis for rust removal . But not on blades.
Eagle's Nest Tree farm & Sawmill
BSA Scoutmaster Retired
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from
 too much government.
   Thomas Jefferson 1802
 No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Ox

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2018, 11:00:23 AM »
Electrolysis or ultrasonic cleaning?

How does electrolysis clean rust?  I thought that was for plating metals with other metals using electrical currents through a liquid that allows molecular transfer of the plating metal to the plated metal.

Offline Crusarius

• Causing trouble and breaking shit
  • Senior Contributor
  • Hmm what does this button d....
    • RockModified
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2018, 11:17:04 AM »
its pretty much the same thing but the rust is attracted to the electrode. Works great but if you do not oil the steel immediately it will flash rust.

Offline Ox

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2018, 06:06:48 AM »
So the rusty part would be the positive and some kind of trash metal would be the negative?  Positive always flows to negative, right?

I realize I could look this up.  Just being lazy I guess because I don't have any immediate plans to try this, but I have  a curiosity that is never quenched.

Offline mike p

• Senior Contributor
  • adicted to the aroma of oak
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2018, 01:49:07 PM »
Black on the Bailey. (  planer or good object to be derusted
 )
That's how I remember
Eagle's Nest Tree farm & Sawmill
BSA Scoutmaster Retired
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from
 too much government.
   Thomas Jefferson 1802
 No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.

Thomas Jefferson