alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description

Author Topic: Stand by generators  (Read 6025 times)

Offline bandmiller2

• Senior Contributor
Stand by generators
« on: October 26, 2018, 06:39:34 AM »
Some standby generators if unused for a wile or shutdown under load will loose their residual magnetism and no puta out. An easy trick to try is to plug a corded electric drill into a running genny, pull the trigger and give the chuck a good spin with your hand. It should start to run and the generator should be back to normal. This restores just a little magnetism that will build back to normal. I got a nice free generator that didn't put out, and this trick worked, its worth a try. Frank C.

Offline Ox

• Senior Contributor
  • Trying to learn/remember something new every day.
Re: Stand by generators
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2018, 09:57:47 AM »
Never heard of that trick...interesting...I was always taught to momentarily touch two terminals somewhere with a 12v battery because I thought the DC residual had to be there first, then it goes through the rectifier, changes to AC and then makes the rest happen.  I guess it back feeds and works that way too!  Interesting.  I hope I can remember this one.  I've learned so many good tricks I'm afraid I've forgotten most of them because how many times does an average person actually use these little gems?  Use it or lose it, I guess...

How did you learn of this trick?
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Offline Stevem

• Old Timers Club
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2018, 10:34:46 AM »
Anybody remember when we had to "polarize" generators on cars?  I went through about 4 generators on a 1948 Plymouth before I learned!
Stevem
Because you can doesn't mean you should!

Offline bandmiller2

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2018, 07:10:09 PM »
Ox, I forget where I learned it. Flashing the fields will also do it but you must know what your doing as jumping the wrong wires can do damage. The drill trick won't hurt anything except you hand if you don't let go. Frank C.

Offline kbeitz

• Collector and builder of many things.
  • Senior Contributor
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2019, 11:51:06 PM »
I found a better way. Take a very strong magnet and stick it on the side of the generator.
Home made band saw mill.
Machine shop.
Wood work shop.
Weld shop.
Collector of mechanical things

Offline Ox

• Senior Contributor
  • Trying to learn/remember something new every day.
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2019, 08:30:29 AM »
That's also interesting.
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools