alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description

Author Topic: Vibration in mill???  (Read 8939 times)

Offline A.O.

• Senior Contributor
Vibration in mill???
« on: January 25, 2019, 08:37:37 AM »
First, remember I only have a small manual mill, no hydraulics or anything anywhere. I have to push the carriage down the rails!  :o

Anyway, I seem to get a vibration as I'm pushing the head down the rails. Kind of a side to side shake, sometimes pretty bad. What I'm thinking (but I'd love to hear from some of you seasoned sawyers) is that maybe I need to retorque the bolts holding the carriage together, maybe they've loosened up?

Whatcha guys think? Other things to look for?

Thanks ,Scott

Offline Crusarius

• Causing trouble and breaking shit
  • Senior Contributor
  • Hmm what does this button d....
    • RockModified
Re: Vibration in mill???
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2019, 08:56:27 AM »
Is it an actual vibration or is it one side moves and loads the torque then the other side jumps to catch up?

I get that, I call it walking. It is twist in my frame. Hopefully if you re-torque everything it will go away.

Offline mountainlake

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2019, 08:59:33 AM »
 Mine will do that when I have the head way up cutting wide hard wood.  I should tighten where the plastic pads ride on the post which would help .  I think some blades are worse than others, maybe uneven set or sharpened to a uneven tooth height due to the wheel wearing a little as the blade goes around.  The newer TK mills wont have this problem much as the post are way bigger and the plastic pads fit tighter.  Steve

Offline A.O.

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2019, 09:31:17 AM »
Ok,  well if I get a chance today I'll try to go through and retighten the bolts holding my carriage together today.

Crusarius, Yes it does seem like "walking" as you put it. I'll tighten things up and see if that helps.

And mountainlake I was cutting some wide (for me anyway) oak logs.

I've had this about 8 months now I guess, although only about 45 hours total on the meter, (remember I just cut for me and am still trying to figure this whole saw mill thing out) so it would make sense some things have shaken loose a bit.

Offline Crusarius

• Causing trouble and breaking shit
  • Senior Contributor
  • Hmm what does this button d....
    • RockModified
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2019, 10:25:53 AM »
You be surprised how quickly new things loosen up. It may not be that they loosen up but it could be bolt stretch. Bolts will stretch so just keep checking them occasionally.

Mountainlake is right, I have noticed it is much worse when the head is higher. I blame my walking on my carriage design. that is getting remedied this winter.

Offline Ox

• Senior Contributor
  • Trying to learn/remember something new every day.
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2019, 02:36:30 PM »
Mine does that when way up high and in very wide cuts.  It only does it when high and wide.  It doesn't walk, per se, but it does some shucking side to side, inline with the blade.  Thankfully I don't have any walking problems.  Yet.  (I just rapped my head for luck)
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Offline A.O.

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2019, 03:58:49 PM »
Mine does that when way up high and in very wide cuts.  It only does it when high and wide.  It doesn't walk, per se, but it does some shucking side to side, inline with the blade.  Thankfully I don't have any walking problems.  Yet.  (I just rapped my head for luck)

Yeah, it doesn't actually walk, just acts like it. Shucking side to side explains it too.

Went out today and tightened everything up, haven't ran it yet though...