alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description

Author Topic: Winters coming  (Read 28076 times)

Offline A.O.

• Senior Contributor
Re: Winters coming
« Reply #50 on: February 11, 2019, 11:04:12 AM »
Remind me again, where are you located starmac?

And why would you wish for below 0 weather?

Alaska

Offline furu

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #51 on: February 11, 2019, 11:16:29 AM »
Not just Alaska but unless he relocated, he is near Fairbanks which is a bit further north.
Cold and for most folks very cold is a necessary part of the environmental ecosystem.
Integrity is not just doing the right thing.
Integrity is not just doing the right thing when no one is looking.
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one else will ever even know.

Offline starmac

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #52 on: February 11, 2019, 07:23:06 PM »
Yep, fairbanks (Gods Country) lol.

AO, we still need to build an Ice bridge across one river and I found out just today, a slough that they haven't even been able to get too yet.
We have had a bridge across the big river a couple of weeks now, but a smaller faster river has been giving us trouble , finally got a D7 across yesterday, hoping to get a shovel across wensday to place logs in the slough to build an ice road on, then a couple more miles of road the other side of the slough and we can get the feller bunchers in and get started.

Warm weather has us behind, weight restrictions will go on around the first of April, maybe sooner depending on how fast it warms up and we need to get some 300 odd loads and the equipment home before the restrictions come on.

If the forecast holds up this tropical weather should go away and be down to 15 below thursday, hopefully it stays there.
This tropical weathers is only good for the tow companies, I had several friends slide back and off the haul road in one day last week. Tow bills usually run from  6 to 10,000 and even more, so not good for truckers, rather see 30 below anyday.

Offline A.O.

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #53 on: February 11, 2019, 07:27:54 PM »
YEOWZA!! How thick is that ice that you can drive a D7 across?

It was 80 here last week!!

Glad to see you are doing ok up there!

Offline starmac

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #54 on: February 12, 2019, 02:27:26 PM »
We are trying to get 30 inches before we start hauling, there was some light spots at around 19 inches a couple of days before they run the 7 across, so it was maybe 22 0r 3 inches on the skinniest ice.

They logged back there in 2015 and dropped the 7 through on the far side of the big river, it was another month before they could get equipment across to pull it out.
They had to just cut out a huge block of ice and winch it out, then everything had to be rebuilt, to the tune of close to 200,000, so they are probably being a little picky this time. lol

Offline A.O.

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #55 on: February 13, 2019, 07:51:11 AM »
We are trying to get 30 inches before we start hauling, there was some light spots at around 19 inches a couple of days before they run the 7 across, so it was maybe 22 0r 3 inches on the skinniest ice.

They logged back there in 2015 and dropped the 7 through on the far side of the big river, it was another month before they could get equipment across to pull it out.
They had to just cut out a huge block of ice and winch it out, then everything had to be rebuilt, to the tune of close to 200,000, so they are probably being a little picky this time. lol

Wow that was an expensive endeavor..

Offline furu

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #56 on: February 13, 2019, 10:17:31 AM »
Well here in the PNW winter just arrived finally.  We have had record snows that beat all snowfall amounts for 70 years. 

Now for most of the country what we have is not even a drop in the bucket but for here with all of our hills it is flat paralyzing.   There are not enough plows and what they do have, half are broken down.  They ran out of aggregate and salt mix in the first 24 hours. 
Finally after we had 24 inches of snow in two days it started to rain on top of the snow. What a mess.  Then rain turned to sleet on top of the 24 inches of snow.
Roofs are collapsing. Several 60 foot boats have sunk as the dock roofs collapse and took the boats to the bottom.   House car ports and even some houses have had their roofs collapse.
After it rained on the snow it got cold again and the ice formed on everything with the sleet.  Trees and their branches coated with layers of ice and the tops break off.  Just had the top 20 foot of an conifer break off and fall right near one of my vehicles.

Here I was thinking that I would start planting forest seedling about now.  Fat chance, not with this much snow and ice.

Good news is with the temperatures having finally stayed in the teens for several days maybe some of the insects and their larvae will have been killed.

We are really a bunch of winter weather wimps out in this area, not like up when I was in Anchorage or where Starmac is in the Fairbanks area.

Offline starmac

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #57 on: February 13, 2019, 11:27:24 AM »
I have been watching your weather and feel for you guys.
People do not understand the difference  between snow here and snow there. warm weather snow is so much more dangerous and destructive than cold weather on everything, including the body. We had around a foot of basically warm weather snow in the last couple of days, which sucks, thankfully we are cooling down today and  the forecast is calling for it to get 20 below by the weekend. I hate to even go down in he Anchorage area in the winter, the warmer temps are not only dangerous to drive in, I freeze in them. lol

Offline furu

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #58 on: February 13, 2019, 11:45:03 AM »
I remember standing out on the river 15 years ago at about -30 or so during the end of the Yukon Quest.  Dressed warm but it just was not that cold on the body.  There are different types of cold and it can be deceiving but a dry cold is so much different than a damp cold.  Now Red Dog Mine north of Kotzebue a bit on Xmas day 2010 with -37 and 40 knots of wind now that was cold.

Offline starmac

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #59 on: February 13, 2019, 02:29:13 PM »
The wind changes things quick, but that is one of the things I love about Fairbanks, we get very little wind, very few days a year here in town.
That said it did blow some yesterday. The way it blew , the snow was blowing off the roof right where my wife happened to be parked where she worked, filling the bed level full and the cab and hood had a couple of feet on it too. She was stuck dead in the water with a 4 wheel drive, while 2 parking spots down a little car was in the clear and could just drive off. lol