alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description

Author Topic: Winters coming  (Read 28037 times)

Offline mountainlake

• Senior Contributor
Winters coming
« on: November 07, 2018, 05:52:57 AM »

Snow on the ground, highs in the mid 20's, lows 10 to 15F. Time to switch over to diesel for lube. I've been running the same v belts since last spring so I put new ones on yesterday as they have to be in good shape when running diesel or they slip off when engaging the engine. One was tough, the other not too bad, seem like some are just a hair smaller. For the first time since 2002 I left the mill in the shed, the skid loader will be in there soon and it will be kicked out.  Steve.

Offline Ox

• Senior Contributor
  • Trying to learn/remember something new every day.
Re: Winters coming
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2018, 09:01:36 AM »
*sigh*

How depressing.  I hate winter these days.  On top of winter coming, we've had a perpetual mud season since early summer.  Our ground hasn't dried out for over 5 months.  In my 40+ years living here it's never been this bad.  Ever.  Of course I don't remember much being a young kid but records are there to search.  I'm so glad I'm not still farming because hay this year was impossible, corn needed chopping last month and there just ain't no way.  Well, maybe one way.  2 tractors chained together with double ring tire chains on.  Our soil is clay and as such turns to grease when wet.  Not to mention being on a mountain with everything on a slope. 

No thanks. 
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Offline Kojba

• Major Contributor
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2018, 08:44:35 PM »

Snow on the ground, highs in the mid 20's, lows 10 to 15F. Time to switch over to diesel for lube. I've been running the same v belts since last spring so I put new ones on yesterday as they have to be in good shape when running diesel or they slip off when engaging the engine. One was tough, the other not too bad, seem like some are just a hair smaller. For the first time since 2002 I left the mill in the shed, the skid loader will be in there soon and it will be kicked out.  Steve.

High of 58 tomorrow, dropping down to a mid 40 something later this Saturday.  Virginia weather ain't that bad... ;D   I do like the occasional snow, but my arthritis doesn't seem to like it at all.  I'd love to live a little farther north, but the wife won't hear talk of it.  She wants to move to Georgia where our daughter lives; but if she moves, she'll move alone!  LOL  I can't take the heat and humidity of Georgia, it's bad enough around here! :o   
Keep Ole Joe Boy Alive
or
Kiss Ole Joe Boy's Ass

Offline bandmiller2

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2018, 06:02:09 AM »
This is a good time to roam around your diggens and pick up tools and other stuff that will disappear under a blanket of white. If this winter is as wet as this summer we're in a world of poop. Back in the eighties I had a circular mill setup in the woods with a 40' roof and covered dead deck. I could keep many logs under cover. Nothing worse than ice covered logs. Frank C.

Offline mountainlake

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2018, 10:32:47 AM »

I had a saw job scheduled for today, 11f with a high of 20f which would be fine but with a 19MPH wind out in the open it got put off until next week.  Steve

Offline bandmiller2

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2018, 04:01:14 PM »
Steve, I hear you if a fella has to work its one thing if you have the option to wait for better conditions that the wise thing to do. Cold is not only hard on sawyers but its tough on equipment. Frank C.

Offline Kojba

• Major Contributor
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2018, 08:09:37 PM »
Mountain lake, how far north are you?  Sounds like Canadian weather!  I'd love be north during the summer months, but you've got me thinking about the harsh winters now... :o
Keep Ole Joe Boy Alive
or
Kiss Ole Joe Boy's Ass

Offline mountainlake

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2018, 03:56:12 AM »

I'm right in the middle of MN,  It's 4 f this morning.   Steve

Offline red oaks lumber

• Major Contributor
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2018, 10:06:11 AM »
northern wisconsin here.. 10f this morning and close to 6" of snow on the ground.  the only bright spot of winter, no bugs and no tourists!!
follow your heart, the rest will happen

Offline Kojba

• Major Contributor
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2018, 02:55:23 PM »
Just came in from cutting a load of white oak firewood.  It's getting down in the 30's a night this week, and my wife is freaking out!  I told her, she needs to read some this thread, and learn what cold is all about.  We get snow when 31 degrees mixes with some wet weather.  Anything colder, and there usually is no precipitation.  The problem with 40 degree days, is I start with a jacket on, and then get down to a long sleeve shirt while working.  Jacket on, jacket off.  Most of my coats have broken zippers.... problems below the Mason Dixon line I guess.... :o

Kojba
Keep Ole Joe Boy Alive
or
Kiss Ole Joe Boy's Ass

Offline Banjo picker

• New Contributor
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2018, 01:34:22 PM »
Its raining here in Miss. today .  I delivered a load of lumber to a customer this morning.  As for cold ....nope, we have had a killing frost a couple days ago.  Found out my heater core has to be replaced...when I turned on the defrost to clear my windshield.   That should be fun.  Banjo

Offline Ox

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2018, 10:58:41 AM »
I would drop in some Bar's Leaks pellets before tearing into any heater core in a vehicle built after 1995 or so... I've heard horror stories of hours and hours of work and entire dashboards having to be torn apart.  I know lots of folks scoff at the Bars Leaks pellets but I've had excellent luck with them and it's saved me tons of headaches and money.  Seems to be basically a permanent thing and I've never had any reduction in heater output or cooling efficiency.  I've got that stuff still working in one of the cars and it's been over 5 years now.  I put some in everything because it's got conditioners in for the coolant as well, and having that small stuff constantly floating around ready to plug a leak is priceless to me.  Whatever the case, I wish you luck with your heater core problem. 

On a separate note, we've got several new inches of the devil's cocaine on the ground.  The ground is officially covered and I'm officially puckered up about it.  I hate it here.

Just 5 more years, if nothing major goes wrong in our lives, and we'll be able to move the hell outta here and get south of the Mason Dixon to one of the "racist, dumb, deplorable" free states.  My kind of folks!  If the media knocks them, I'm gonna like them.
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Offline Kojba

• Major Contributor
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2018, 11:34:48 AM »

Just 5 more years, if nothing major goes wrong in our lives, and we'll be able to move the hell outta here and get south of the Mason Dixon to one of the "racist, dumb, deplorable" free states.  My kind of folks!  If the media knocks them, I'm gonna like them.

You're welcome here!  Virginia is slowly turning Demorat, but there are still great places in the country, where people get along just fine, regardless of race or religion.  No matter what the media says, country people are the best...
Keep Ole Joe Boy Alive
or
Kiss Ole Joe Boy's Ass

Offline Ox

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2018, 02:52:49 PM »
Country people ARE the best.  I think the country's divided like this:  city folk and country folk.  Not much in between, really.  City folk seem to be liberal, country folk seem to be conservative.  Of course there are always exceptions to every rule. 

It's a shame I have to put that last sentence on, but you know how some people can be - they'll point out one exception out of millions to try to prove you wrong - figured I'd save some grief.  :laugh:

Offline mountainlake

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2018, 04:02:28 PM »

That's not city folk, its city slickers.  Steve

Offline Ox

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2018, 05:29:08 PM »
What's the difference?  ???

Offline Kojba

• Major Contributor
« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2018, 07:06:04 PM »
What's the difference?  ???

Not sure about he city slicker, city folk thing, but Jimmy Carter's brother was once asked to explain the difference between a "Redneck" and a "Country Boy".  Ole Billy just grinned and said "A Country Boy throws his beer cans in the back of his pick-up, and a Redneck just tosses them out on the side of the road".   I guess the difference between "City Folk" and a "City Slicker" is the way they throw out their wine bottles.  City slickers recycle, and City folk just toss them in a trash can... :o
Keep Ole Joe Boy Alive
or
Kiss Ole Joe Boy's Ass

Offline Ox

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2018, 08:52:51 AM »
lol  good 'nuff explanation for me!

Offline Stevem

• Old Timers Club
« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2018, 12:07:52 AM »
I would drop in some Bar's Leaks pellets before tearing into any heater core in a vehicle built after 1995 or so...

That's in the time frame when they went to aluminum heater cores.  It seems I've changed a lot of heater core recently. Just found out the newer anti freezes have extra protection for aluminum and the hoses in the cooling system.  It's really gone crazy on factory spec antifreeze.  Just bought some and the dealer needed the VIN code to get the right stuff.   Antifreeze isn't just antifreeze anymore.  One might want to even add a ground strap to the heater core to reduce electrolytic problems.   
Stevem
Because you can doesn't mean you should!

Offline red oaks lumber

• Major Contributor
« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2018, 03:20:12 PM »
friday was the first day that i noticed the logs are officially frozen. i find sawing frozen logs is actually easier and better than unfrozen. the lumber is as hard as the knots, making for a lot flatter smother boards.
follow your heart, the rest will happen

Offline Banjo picker

• New Contributor
« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2018, 08:13:48 PM »
I would drop in some Bar's Leaks pellets before tearing into any heater core in a vehicle built after 1995 or so... I've heard horror stories of hours and hours of work and entire dashboards having to be torn apart.  I know lots of folks scoff at the Bars Leaks pellets but I've had excellent luck with them and it's saved me tons of headaches and money.  Seems to be basically a permanent thing and I've never had any reduction in heater output or cooling efficiency.  I've got that stuff still working in one of the cars and it's been over 5 years now.  I put some in everything because it's got conditioners in for the coolant as well, and having that small stuff constantly floating around ready to plug a leak is priceless to me.  Whatever the case, I wish you luck with your heater core problem. 

Ox:  After thinking about how much I didn't want to put in a heater core right now, I went to the parts house and asked what they recommended, and I got a product called Dike.  At least I think thats how its spelled.  I came in a little jug and looked to have the consistency of a light grease.  You drain about a gallon of your coolant out and mix that stuff with it and pour it in the radiator.  When I cranked the old truck I noticed a small trickle of antifreeze leaking through a vent on the passenger side.  I didn't know it was leaking that bad.  I thought it might not stop it, but in about a minute and a half or two minutes....it stopped it.  I ran the truck for about 30 minutes and so far so good.  Seems to be good stuff.  Its supposed to stay mixed with the coolant and not stop up the drain.  If it don't hold up I'll let you folks know, but so far I like it.  Banjo

Offline Ox

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2018, 10:16:47 AM »
Good news!  I've never heard of that particular product, but no matter.

I just tried finding what the stop leak pellets are made from, but couldn't find it.  I simply can't remember anymore.  It is a natural material, like maybe from a plant or herb or something, but apparently it's one of the only things on the planet that get smaller when it's wet and expands when it's drier which is why it works so well as a stop leak.

I've got a 1994 Cadillac Deville and the 4.9L V8 in it has iron heads and an aluminum block (weird, right?) and it's a requirement to add GM's own coolant additive pellets every year I think it was.  Bar's Leaks is the same stuff and apparently made by the same company.  I'm thinking the stuff you used probably had this same stuff mixed in with it.

I once used Bar's leaks pellets to fix a leak in a heater core in a 1977 Chevy Scottsdale 4x4 (full time, with the NP203 transfer case) and it plugged it tight.  Never had heat after that.  I was very leery of the product for a long time after that, but gave it another chance about 10 years ago and all was and still is well.  It's also got coolant conditioners mixed in with the pellets for water pump seal lubrication and such (so it says). 

I just went on Youtube and found the Dike stuff and saw a quick demonstration of it.  Amazing.  Never seen nothing like it.  I'll have to file this away for future reference.

« Last Edit: December 09, 2018, 02:02:39 PM by Ox »

Offline mike p

• Senior Contributor
  • adicted to the aroma of oak
« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2018, 10:25:19 AM »
I work for Cadillac in Norman Oklahoma in the mid 80s when that aluminum block motor was first coming out they had problems with the O-ring seals on the steel cylinder sleeves leaking where they would supposed to seal to the aluminum block and antifreeze will get in the oil and trash out the bearings and lifters and cams there for a while every Cadillac they sold in 83 and 84 had to have new cams new lifters and new Main and rod bearings put in usually before they had eight thousand miles on them. and yes we had to put bars leak only it was called GM supplement in the radiator every time you drain the fluid out of radiator a lot of complaints about heater cores not putting out much heat too
Eagle's Nest Tree farm & Sawmill
BSA Scoutmaster Retired
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from
 too much government.
   Thomas Jefferson 1802
 No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Ox

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2018, 02:08:14 PM »
Yikes.  What a friggin' nightmare. 

I know one thing - it's no fun working on a V8 engine that sits in there sideways.  There's about 5 inches of room between the shock tower and the pulleys.   :o
And forget about trying to work on the left bank of this engine.  It's right up against the firewall and getting spark plugs in and out is a very trying and time consuming surgical operation.  I hope I never have to do exhaust manifolds or something like that - I'll have to pull the engine probably.  Maybe if I pull the radiator and rock the engine forward....

I don't wanna.  I'll worry about it if it ever comes to pass. 

I don't WANNA   :(

Offline mike p

• Senior Contributor
  • adicted to the aroma of oak
« Reply #24 on: December 16, 2018, 04:55:28 PM »
On front wheel drive you take a 15 mm boxend wrench i used a 9/16 and bend it with torch to loosen the 3 rd member bolts so it separate from the tranz. About 5/8" to get clearances for oil pan to clear and motor to come up. DON'T take bolts all way out (  nightmare ) .GM only paid us 11 hours to pull defect motor out transfer parts & install new motor completely .I worked on commission. If you need it I probly still have wrench could take pic .
Eagle's Nest Tree farm & Sawmill
BSA Scoutmaster Retired
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from
 too much government.
   Thomas Jefferson 1802
 No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.

Thomas Jefferson