alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description

Author Topic: High tech sawmilling  (Read 11539 times)

Offline HaroldCR - AKA Fla.-Deadheader

• Old Timers Club
High tech sawmilling
« on: November 15, 2018, 07:36:05 PM »
All y'all ain't never seen such high tech milling, right down to the helpers steel toes shoes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XH2wSB5PrKU

Offline Banjo picker

• New Contributor
Re: High tech sawmilling
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2018, 09:05:38 PM »
Adds new meaning to "man power" don't it?  Really liked that blade lube system too.  Banjo

Offline bandmiller2

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2018, 06:48:59 AM »
I admire people that don't have squat, yet can make do, and complete tasks we would need heavy machinery to do. I lived in the Philippines for two years and worked with the locals and was amazed at their ability to rebuild anything with manual skills we have lost. Frank C.

Offline Ox

• Senior Contributor
  • Trying to learn/remember something new every day.
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2018, 11:26:47 AM »
Grit.  Determination.  Need.  Testicular fortitude.  Well done, men.
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Offline Kojba

• Major Contributor
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2018, 08:56:04 PM »

I hear most people in that country, would give an arm and a leg for a job.  Some probably did....  No pussies in that village.     
Keep Ole Joe Boy Alive
or
Kiss Ole Joe Boy's Ass

Offline Ox

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2018, 08:00:01 AM »
I agree - that's all well and good.

But I also understand that that whole area around there, including the Indonesian islands, is basically responsible for most of the huge Pacific Ocean garbage patch.  Plastic.  Untold tons of it, mostly broken down into little pieces all floating together because things floating tend to attract to each other. 

I wish they wouldn't wantonly just pitch their garbage off into the world like that.  I've read that they don't understand the problem - it's always been done this way.  The tide comes in, the tide goes out, and all their garbage magically vanishes never to be seen again.  How can this be bad, they wonder.  What's the problem, they wonder.  Crazy white people always trying to cause problems, they think...

I wonder if they actually saw all the birds found dead, dried up corpses, FULL of plastic pieces, thousands of them, if it would spark anything in their noggins.  All the wildlife caught up in cast off fishing nets to drown or starve to death, etc.  One could go on and on.

I'm no environmentalist or activist.  I believe in using what our planet provides (in a responsible and sustainable manner), but I also think we need to take care of it better.  There seems to be way too much of an "I don't give a rip" attitude across the entire planet.
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Offline kbeitz

• Collector and builder of many things.
  • Senior Contributor
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2019, 05:30:29 PM »
I got to work on this one in Dominican Republic. No tractors. all done by hand.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRNlDjeq1Cw&list=PLPmdHS4aWQkarJdxyJX_pwpR0Rtv7vGV_&index=37&t=2s
Home made band saw mill.
Machine shop.
Wood work shop.
Weld shop.
Collector of mechanical things

Offline Ox

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2019, 09:26:06 AM »
That style diesel engine probably powers half of the world.

I've yet to get my hands on one, but I have 2 Lister 6/1 engines.  One's a Listeroid and the other's an original from Dursley, England made in the late 40s I think.  Oh, and a Lister/Petter SRZ/1 which is currently mated to an ST-5 alternator/generator head.

Cool video.

Offline kbeitz

• Collector and builder of many things.
  • Senior Contributor
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2019, 10:13:20 AM »
What is that engine in the video?
Home made band saw mill.
Machine shop.
Wood work shop.
Weld shop.
Collector of mechanical things

Offline Ox

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2019, 10:18:03 AM »
That is a Yanmar clone, I believe.  Changfa is just one company that cloned them.  Basically it's a Yanmar agricultural engine.  They run everything you can imagine, from taxis to walking tractors to irrigation pumps to generators.  Single cylinder, horizontal, can be hand started with a crank on the camshaft while using a decompress lever.  Spin it up to speed then drop the decompress and she'll swing through using the weight of the flywheel and fire.  These guys use electric start because it's hard belted up to their mill and so can't crank it by hand with all the parasitic drag while doing so.

On this one, it looks they've converted the small hopper evaporative cooling system (like the old hit & miss engines) into a thermo siphon system using that blue barrel.  There might be a pump there, I can't see.  The engine design is perfect.  The Chinese clones sometimes have metallurgy issues as we all know can be hit and miss.  Extremely efficient engines with longevity to match.  If you ever find one that is running, it's a good deal and parts are easy to get online, but not much for local sources, ie you have to wait for parts.  They range from around 4 hp all the way up to 30 plus hp using the same design.  This one in the video is probably around 12 - 15hp.  I imagine they're using only about a gallon of fuel every 2 hours or so.  Maybe a little less, since it's not under load all the time.

Offline moodnacreek

• Major Contributor
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2019, 07:40:00 AM »
Ox, ever here of an E.F.I. engine?  Have one , cast iron, single cyl. air cooled, big fly wheel, very heavy duty. It was made in Portugal. I have found the same engine on line built, or sold by a mining supply by a different name. Also have a Bernard 2 cyl. air cooled diesel.

Offline Ox

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2019, 08:45:07 AM »
Nope, never heard of either of those, but that don't mean much - I don't know about lots of things!  I've seen all sorts of strange and unusual engines on YouTube and the old stationary diesel engines all have a few things in common:  big, cast iron, slow running, heavy flywheels.  I love them.

Interesting tip:  Did you know that when you cut the RPMs of an engine in half, you're not making it last twice as long?  It's actually making it last 4 times as long!  Doesn't make much sense to me, but this is the truth.  I remember reading it somewhere and it was explained well, but I can't remember why this is so.  It just had such a profound effect on me that I've apparently committed it to memory.  It's something to do with the rotational motion vs the piston speed of travel and all that kind of thing...

I've heard stories of the old Lister engines made in England that lasted over 20 years in continuous service before needing some rings and bearings, so basically just a refresh.  They were shut down just long enough to do PM and right back on again.  The first ones were a 5/1 and ran at 550 rpm.  The later ones were exactly the same, but were called a 6/1 and were running at 650 rpm.  Then when they got up to the 8/1, 10/1, 12/1 and such they had to make the flywheels smaller and smaller so the rim speed of the cast iron didn't exceed terminal velocity and cause a huge problem because essentially what they did was just increase the rpms of the engine with no other changes to bore or stroke.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2019, 08:26:37 AM by Ox »

Offline moodnacreek

• Major Contributor
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2019, 11:54:50 AM »
Ox, the efi engine I mention ran my hyd. system for the sawmill for a few years. It had been used on a detachable low boy trailer on the hyd. system and run on the road [running] with no air cleaner. Had it sleeved and valves ground. Could not believe the size of the bearings and they where like new. Tried to run it on veg. oil at half speed but this would not work as it would soot so bad the valves would not seat. The tag on the unit says 1800 rpm and when run at that speed all the problems disappeared! I think this engine is a copy of an early Deutz.  The Bernard is French and was sold under the Avco/Lycoming name, 18 hp V twin.

Offline Ox

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2019, 08:28:07 AM »
Cool!  Thanks for sharing that info - old engines are wonderful things.

Offline starmac

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2019, 03:26:02 PM »
They not only have the git her done attitude, they have the git her done slow and hard dangerous as possible attitude.
I guess I am lazy, but I bet I could come up with a way to position and turn that log with the equipment they already have on hand.

Offline moodnacreek

• Major Contributor
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2019, 03:51:04 PM »
Sawing big ugly logs, no log deck or log turner, if they had a articulated loader with forks, 3 men could run the whole operation. Labor must be very cheap.

Offline Ox

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2019, 09:24:50 AM »
I guess I am lazy, but I bet I could come up with a way to position and turn that log with the equipment they already have on hand.

See, I don't call that lazy - I call that being efficient.   8) ;D

Offline starmac

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2019, 07:03:50 PM »
Well everybody turning and blocking that log is betting their life that all the others do not flake or even slip up. They already have a working capstan winch, just a little rigging and they can load and turn the log with out putting several lives in danger.

When I was roughnecking in the oil patch, I was one of the rare hands with all my digits, and the reason was, I did not blindly trust those working around me, besides I was kind of fond of all my fingers and toes.

Offline bandmiller2

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2019, 06:09:41 AM »
I think the all time finger champ is an old shingle mills, your hands are working so close to the saw you can feel the wind. If you get in a backwoods bar you'll find big Frenchie has a hard time ordering more than two beers. Frank C.

Offline moodnacreek

• Major Contributor
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2019, 08:12:49 AM »
The rebar cant hook is quite a piece, at least you can get your hands around it. The logs in the yard are mostly the kind of logs I hate and I have machinery. Must be root hog or die over there.

Offline A.O.

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2019, 08:19:24 AM »
The rebar cant hook is quite a piece, at least you can get your hands around it. The logs in the yard are mostly the kind of logs I hate and I have machinery. Must be root hog or die over there.

I kinda liked those cant hook set ups! Good leverage!

Offline HaroldCR - AKA Fla.-Deadheader

• Old Timers Club
« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2019, 01:32:59 PM »
Y'all oughta be ashamed of all yer Fancy/dancy high $$$ equipment.

Here's everything from log truck to table tops. Note the safety dresses and steel toes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPWVOOscAMU

Offline A.O.

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2019, 02:31:26 PM »
Y'all oughta be ashamed of all yer Fancy/dancy high $$$ equipment.

Here's everything from log truck to table tops. Note the safety dresses and steel toes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPWVOOscAMU

Yeah well they got 5 guys, I only got me!