alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description

Author Topic: stupid at it's finest.  (Read 5292 times)

Offline starmac

• Senior Contributor
stupid at it's finest.
« on: February 24, 2019, 07:45:43 PM »
Have you ever done anything that made you feel stupid? And rightfully so, I might add. lol

I have been wanting to change out my compensator bushings  all season. I had the trailer off the truck doing some suspension work on the truck and a little welding on the bunk, so decided to change out the bushings, while my helper rotated some tires, easy peasy, except it had 4 rusted up set screws in each bushing, I cleaned out the allen heads, but wouldn't you know it the right (small) allen wrench in my 3/8 drive set was missing, so all I had that would fit was in one of those folding sets. It was just trying to twist, even with penetrating oil  and heat.
Ok, send my helper out to get me another set for my ratchet, again no go. So now I decide to drill them out and use an easy out, again no go. I finally get chapped and decide to drive them out and what do you know, easy peasy, they were pins instead of set screws.

Talk about feeling like a full grown moron, shouldn't even be telling this. lol

Offline Ox

• Senior Contributor
  • Trying to learn/remember something new every day.
Re: stupid at it's finest.
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2019, 11:23:52 AM »
Don't feel like the lone ranger, bud.

When things are incredibly rusty it's hard to tell just what the hell you're looking at and if you ain't done that particular job before it's anyone's guess as to what is what.

Just think of how smart you are now!
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Offline A.O.

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2019, 11:39:52 AM »
Yep! Been there done that..

Offline starmac

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2019, 04:21:22 PM »
The worst of it is, I have a young man that lives with us and works for me. He doesn't charge me a whole lot but wants to learn, and does 99.9% of my manual labor.
I sure taught him on this one, when I smacked it and it drove right out, after fighting it for an hour or so, he looked up and just said really. lol