alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description

Author Topic: Help for burnout victims  (Read 6582 times)

Offline Stevem

• Old Timers Club
Help for burnout victims
« on: November 26, 2018, 02:42:39 AM »
Just got this from our friend Ron Trout of "Sawmill Finder" banner ad above.
This year I have a special request!
I will be taking my 1995 Wood-Mizer LT40HD to the Camp Fire shelter location in Northern California on December 3rd and milling lumber for the purpose of building Portable Emergency Shelter for the displaced fire victims. This is my personal mission to help provide relief ASAP to those in dire need of emergency shelter. I will be working with the Sonora Chapter VVA #391.
Thank You For your consideration. Ron Trout
 Please follow this link for complete details about how you can help with "Mission Possible"
VVA is Viet Nam Veterens
Stevem
Because you can doesn't mean you should!

Offline Tree Bones

• Contributor
  • The bravest of all is he who conquers himself.
    • Ron Trout Sawmill
Re: Help for burnout victims
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2018, 10:18:03 AM »
Thank you for the shout out. Here is a link to more information: https://www.gofundme.com/mission-posiable-yurt-shelters-camp-fire

Ron Trout
AKA "Tree Bones"

Offline Stevem

• Old Timers Club
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2018, 12:15:16 PM »
Ron,
I put a bug in Sam Baileys ear.
Stevem

Offline Tree Bones

• Contributor
    • Ron Trout Sawmill
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2018, 12:16:47 PM »
Thank You!  :laugh:

Offline furu

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2018, 08:58:15 PM »
Thanks for doing what you are and can do.
Integrity is not just doing the right thing.
Integrity is not just doing the right thing when no one is looking.
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one else will ever even know.

Offline Ox

• Senior Contributor
  • Trying to learn/remember something new every day.
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2018, 09:08:10 AM »
Good man.
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Offline Tree Bones

• Contributor
    • Ron Trout Sawmill
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2018, 08:06:45 PM »
Week one progress report.

After landing in Chico on Monday the 3rd we set up in the backyard of a modest home, thank you Corina for all you have and are doing for the community. Even with a little rain the initial effort that set the pace for this project has produced six yurts made by four recipients that have all started learning and fine tuning the yurt building process, each investing hands on time into this past week’s progress.

A local paper published an article on Tuesday and by weeks end there was an uptick of interest and more people have volunteered for this next week to help build and learn. Many are veterans that have lost everything. We now have a list of people in need and willing to work their way through recovery. Some participants have their own land, with septic already in place and just want to get back to their place of residence and occupy their home, even if the house is gone.

A one-acre location has been secured and is currently being prepared for up to ten yurts, logs and a sawmill are already on site and the owner will have materials for two floors ready next week. We have two composting toilets ready to go right now, and a centrally located bath house is being planned for construction ASAP. The land owner is working with local governing authorities and they have approved and given the green light to move forward with this emergency shelter project.

We now have three newly trained yurt builders who will in turn be training additional volunteers this coming week. I am purchasing enough material for another six yurts and with the increased number of volunteer participants we will complete the first six and start another six yurts for a total of twelve yurts.

Site preparation for two floors should be completed by mid-week and I plan to have two floors built (with yurts on them) at the new emergency shelter site by weeks end. Weather may play a part of timing. The main road through Paradise is not yet open and access to the new shelter area via the alternate road is substantially longer, an unimproved dirt road, and subject to snow and bad weather. We will take it as it comes.

I intended to post daily updates but between the internet connections, laptop, and my limited time (if I want to sleep) updates may be sporadic.

As this project evolves, the sawmill produced lumber will reduce the cost by a large factor, however this also increases the need for volunteer participants. We will also need additional canvas, hardware and plywood for floors.

Donations to date have provided the first six yurts and cover the cost of two floors. Very soon all the yurts we build will be someone’s home. Thank you everyone for your support. To move forward from here and increase our reach we need continued support. Please share this news far and wide and with all your friends as I believe that together we can make a difference for many who could use a vision of hope right about now.

Ron
https://www.gofundme.com/mission-posiable-yurt-shelters-camp-fire

Offline Stevem

• Old Timers Club
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2018, 09:07:30 AM »
Ron is harried.  Says he doesn't have enough arms to do everything that needs done.  I plan on going down after the new year and help where I can.

Week Two Progress Report
There are ten yurts near completion and two floor sites are being prepared for floor construction on Tuesday the 18th. There are several potential floor sites and recipients yet to be determined and potentially be built before Christmas, if not then shortly thereafter.

I would like to give special thanks to everyone who has donated and had boots on the ground to bring this together. Corina in Chico has provided many people displaced by the Camp Fire with help right from the start and continues to provide for many by hosting our construction project in her back yard. Eric and Curtis continue to master the complete yurt building process and will be able to occupy their land again next week. They will be able to teach others how to build yurts along with Manny, Mike, Lester, Benny, Bob and Eterna who have all volunteered and are also learning yurt building skills. Thank you everyone.

We now have two secure locations available and will have materials to build floors this coming week. There are several locations on the list for floors including a church that was lost in the fire and a campground that lost their home, we hope to finalize plans for these additional shelter locations soon.

As more people here about what’s going on our list of requests is growing. There will be no shortage of people that can use some help in the form of temporary shelter. This will be an ongoing process of preparing yurts and securing stable locations to place them.

So far, all the constriction and assembly has taken place in a small backyard with minimal bad weather to hamper a small work crew. The first of the ten yurts available will start going out this week and it looks like we should be able to find plenty of locations to build floors.

There is going to be plenty of logs and mill sites to set up at as things progress. After the first of the year I will bring my sawmill and make lumber on site. Right now, there are still areas closed and inaccessible until basic services are restored. Some people are just now getting back to their land to assess damage and what their options are. We will have more options as the affected areas reopen and people can return. There are a lot of trees to be removed and property to be cleaned up.

As time goes by, I expect that we will have more people in need, more volunteers and the pace will pick up. Only time will tell.

I had hoped to post daily updates but am just not able to, not enough hours in the day along with techno hardships out in the field. So, for now I will only be posting weekly updates.

This coming week we will be building floors and camping out on location, off grid. We will continue to prepare yurts, and secure shelter locations for all we are able.

Thank You Lord
Stevem