alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description

Author Topic: Planer maintanence question for you guys.  (Read 8441 times)

Offline A.O.

• Senior Contributor
Planer maintanence question for you guys.
« on: January 01, 2019, 08:06:45 AM »
Ok , as you know.. or maybe not.. I bought a used Jet JWP 160s 16" planer, got it all up and running "but"..

It has a set of anti kickback fingers that are on a rod on the feed end of the machine, these fingers are supposed to loosely pivot on the rod to be effective. On my machine they are very gummed up with something, pitch maybe? Anyway, I see no way to remove them to clean without a major disassembly of the machine! I do have the manual and it says nothing about them except to keep them clean!
Does anyone know how to get them out, or know of something I could spray them down with to loosten them up??
They are so gummed up its kinda hard to even start a board through the machine!

Thanks in advance!

Here's a PDF of the manual...

http://content.jettools.com/assets/manuals/708531_man_EN.pdf

Offline Ox

• Senior Contributor
  • Trying to learn/remember something new every day.
Re: Planer maintanence question for you guys.
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2019, 09:46:35 AM »
Best stuff I use regularly for any of that sort of thing is a mixture of ATF and kerosene, 50/50.  I use used ATF from maintenance on vehicles until I run out of it, then I'm forced to use new stuff.  But straight ATF by itself will cut through that gunk because of its high detergent properties.  Or straight kero or diesel will cut through.
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Offline A.O.

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2019, 10:15:38 AM »
Best stuff I use regularly for any of that sort of thing is a mixture of ATF and kerosene, 50/50.  I use used ATF from maintenance on vehicles until I run out of it, then I'm forced to use new stuff.  But straight ATF by itself will cut through that gunk because of its high detergent properties.  Or straight kero or diesel will cut through.

Thanks

So far I've used Gunscrubber, gum out choke cleaner, WD40, and WD40 silicone. Loosens them up a bit, but not enough.

I'll give it a try, dont have kerosene but I have diesel, and a couple varieties of ATF.. pretty close I'm thinking..

Offline furu

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2019, 11:27:42 AM »
If that fails try acetone.  Not a big fan of it in most cases as it is hard on any thing that will dissolve but it will dissolve just about anything so it might work.
Integrity is not just doing the right thing.
Integrity is not just doing the right thing when no one is looking.
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one else will ever even know.

Offline Ox

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2019, 09:07:44 AM »
Yep, acetone is a great solvent and dries without leaving a film.  It's the only thing I use for final prep of important surfaces like cylinder heads and such.

The different ATFs available are close enough to one another for your purpose here it simply doesn't matter - use any old thing.  But don't just use any old thing in a vehicle transmission!  The different fluids have different friction modifiers (or something like that! lol) and can act differently in different transmissions. 

1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Offline A.O.

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2019, 09:41:40 AM »
Well.... I tried a combo of ATF and Acetone, not much improvement. I guess I’m going to have to figure out how to remove the assembly to clean it!

Offline bandmiller2

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2019, 04:55:56 PM »
If you can do so safely use a burnsomatic propane torch to heat the joint a little and it will thin and suck the oil in. Move the fingers as you oil them. Frank C.

Offline Ox

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2019, 09:52:16 AM »
It must not be pitch if ATF and acetone didn't cut through it.

Offline A.O.

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2019, 10:21:50 AM »
Alrighty update on this.

Ox , you are correct!

I ended up removing the entire assembly to clean and inspect. Turns out it wasn't that gummed up, but slightly damaged. one of the fingers was bent pretty bad and a couple more were bent a little bit. So I flattened them back out with a mallet and an anvil. I put them in a tumbler to clean them all up for a couple hours, when that is done I'll re assemble the unit to check for functionality and if it works ok I'll re-disassemble and reinstall!

So these guys should be dead flat, obviously not the case!

So the bend in them made the assembly to wide to fit between the keepers on the ends and caused it to bind and not function correctly.

(I took a bunch of pictures on the procedure, If management would like I could document the procedure for future reference.)

Offline Crusarius

• Causing trouble and breaking shit
  • Senior Contributor
  • Hmm what does this button d....
    • RockModified
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2019, 11:00:11 AM »
the holes are not to small are they?

Offline A.O.

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2019, 11:05:46 AM »
the holes are not to small are they?

?? Why / How would the holes be too small?

Offline Crusarius

• Causing trouble and breaking shit
  • Senior Contributor
  • Hmm what does this button d....
    • RockModified
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2019, 11:58:37 AM »
Just curious if they were out of round or bent with the plate. could cause issues to

Offline A.O.

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2019, 01:19:31 PM »
Just curious if they were out of round or bent with the plate. could cause issues to

That's a possibility I guess, but I didn't have a problem in that regard. Just seems with them bent it made the whole assembly too wide.

These all hang from a round bar and have a keeper on each end to keep them in place. as soon as I removed those keepers taking it apart the fingers started hanging "loose" s they were supposed to do.

So now its all cleaned up and back together and works just as it should.!

Before shot of assembly..

Offline furu

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2019, 07:06:15 AM »
Good job
Integrity is not just doing the right thing.
Integrity is not just doing the right thing when no one is looking.
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one else will ever even know.

Offline A.O.

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2019, 07:15:10 AM »
Good job

Thanks , spent the afternoon planning down a bunch of lumber to (3/4") 1x's, got a bunk of it in the garage I'm going to use for a dresser and some shelves for our master closet. need to get it all 4 squared so I can use it... and I need it done by Sunday, its supposed to be nice and I need to have room to get the Harley out!  ;-)