alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description

Author Topic: new member  (Read 17366 times)

Offline Sawmill Knowledge

• New Contributor
    • Sawmill knowledge
« on: January 05, 2019, 11:01:04 PM »
My name is steve,i have been around sawmilling since very young.I worked at three different mills and i owned two different mills.
https://sawmillknowlegebysteve.com
15 years of sawmill experience working on and owning my own sawmills.

Offline furu

• Senior Contributor
Re: new member
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2019, 05:38:08 AM »
Welcome Steve to the group/forum.   
Steve is a very common/popular name on this board. 
I think you make number 5 of the Steve's that are most active in posting.

Where are you at and what mill do you have?
Integrity is not just doing the right thing.
Integrity is not just doing the right thing when no one is looking.
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one else will ever even know.

Offline A.O.

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2019, 07:18:18 AM »
Welcome aboard, good place good people..  pull up a chair and join in.

Offline Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2019, 07:56:52 AM »
Welcome to the site.   
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is watching!

Offline Ox

• Senior Contributor
  • Trying to learn/remember something new every day.
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2019, 10:41:21 AM »
Welcome!

I'm one of the Steves.

My full name it's spelled Stephen and I have been called "Steffen" so many times I wanna puke.  One gal at the doctor's asked me, "are you SURE it's said that way?".  She wasn't too bright.  I told her "yep, been pronounced "Steven" for over 40 years".  She said, "huh.  never seen it spelled that way".  Oooooooookaaaaaaaaaay...
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Offline furu

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2019, 03:51:59 PM »
I always thought Stephen was pronounced "Steven" and Stephan was pronounced "Steffen" 
I have know a lot of Stephen's in my life and every one of them was a "Steven" pronunciation.  Matter of fact I have been asked many many times "with a "v or a"ph" on how to spell my name.

Never heard anyone that thought Stephen was "Steffen".

Learn something new everyday.  Was she of a certain generation? (not being PC as usual)  I hate to paint with too broad a brush.
Integrity is not just doing the right thing.
Integrity is not just doing the right thing when no one is looking.
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one else will ever even know.

Offline Ox

• Senior Contributor
  • Trying to learn/remember something new every day.
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2019, 09:22:03 AM »
Honestly, half the time I have problems with the generation before mine.  With baby boomers I suppose it would be.  Older women, usually, at the desk at the doc's or at the bank or something.  They're polite enough but just don't seem to be too bright.  I guess they just don't have any "worldly" experience or something, I don't know.  The other half of the time would be the giddy millenials or later.  But around here it seems Stephen is just too exotic for many folks to get a handle on.  :laugh: 

Sometimes I wish I was born in a different era.  My parents (baby boomers) grew up in the best time this country had to offer.  I often think about how exciting things would have been to be born about 1890.  In 80 years one could see everything from the dawn of flight to the dawn of automobiles and then the rapid progression in technology with those 2 things among others, all the way up through the wars and into the future.

Of course, this is forgetting about all the bad stuff that happened through those times. 

(sigh) :-\
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

• New Contributor
    • Sawmill knowledge
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2019, 05:45:38 AM »
Currently i am living in the Philippines and semi retired,i owned one circular mill when i was young,it had a three block corley carriage,a miner edger and MandM diesel engine,50 inch blade,i also owned a Noorwood lumbermate before.A little amount of sawmilling here,i did get a chance to see an old government mill here,very large circular mill,shut down in the 70,s but all still there,was for cutting mahogany and narra wood for export,it has a very large carriage and all electric,was put in in the late 60,s to harvest valuable lumber from a dormant volcano called mceeling then the gov annexed the land and shut down the mill.

Offline joasis

• Circle sawyer
  • Administrator
  • Senior Contributor
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2019, 06:19:07 AM »
Welcome to the club!
Ladwig Construction
Hennessey, Oklahoma
    405 853 1563

If anyone has any issues, I can be reached at the number above, anytime.

Offline Stevem

• Old Timers Club
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2019, 12:29:39 AM »
Welcome aboard. 
So what sawmill do you have now?
Stevem
Because you can doesn't mean you should!

Offline bandmiller2

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2019, 06:58:20 AM »
Steve, early 70's I spent two years at the naval air station Cubi point (Subic bay). The navy had a huge band mill. I remember seeing one log that was an overload on a Kenworth tractor lowbed headed to the mill. The base was huge and had one of the last stands of virgin timber on the island, I often walked in the forest, some trees 12' diameter. Been married to a Filipina for almost 50 years. She's from Leyte and said there was a sawmill near her home she remembers it because the owner had a Ford thunderbird and went by every day. I miss PI had my car over there best living I ever had, beautiful country and people Frank C.

• New Contributor
    • Sawmill knowledge
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2019, 12:07:41 AM »
there are many small vertical bandmills here in phi,they are converted from woodworking bandsaws,that is actually how a lot of lumber is sawn here,the narra trees are every where but very hard wood,coca lumber is used a lot for cement forms and one time use,it warps very fast.In the past there was a lot of mills owned by other countrys that cut valuable mohogony and other rare woods,but not much of that now.The govermant in the past even had there own mills in different parts of the country,but this was in the 50,s and 60,s.