alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description

Author Topic: What did you do at your saw mill today?  (Read 149943 times)

Offline kbeitz

• Collector and builder of many things.
  • Senior Contributor
Re: What did you do at your saw mill today?
« Reply #50 on: January 23, 2019, 03:25:58 PM »
Don't forget to put a spring stop on you limit switch.
The carriage takes time to stop.

Home made band saw mill.
Machine shop.
Wood work shop.
Weld shop.
Collector of mechanical things

Offline Ox

• Senior Contributor
  • Trying to learn/remember something new every day.
« Reply #51 on: January 24, 2019, 08:28:01 AM »
Will do if I have that problem.

The control boards I'm using stops the motor NOW.  Instantly.  I may have to spring load the chain running the length of the mill.  On the other hand, the control boards allow a "soft start" at settings of 50% or higher which is kind of neat.  But it stops instantly at all settings.  I'll be using the potentiometer on every cycle, likely.  Which is fine.   It doesn't bother me in the least.  I'm saving my wore out and beat up body a little bit more by doing this, and as such I'll gladly sit and let it take its time if it wants to.  But I'm gearing it all with sprockets so that I can have feathering speed or blazing speed.  Going with 24V instead of 12V doubles the RPM available so this helps dramatically in what I want it to do and is why I went that way.  The only drawback to 24V vs 12V that I can see is the cost of another battery.  I've got an Interstate Battery over in the next town to the southeast of here and last I heard they were still selling good used batteries, so I'll go this route first just for cost reasons.  When they wear out I'll be going with deep cycle gel batt's just because they'll last so much better.

In a worst case scenario I can plug in a AC to DC converter with an extension cord and get the 24V that way.  A worst case scenario after that I will still be able to raise/lower by hand and push by hand by flipping the disengage lever in the gearbox of the gear motors.  In other words I'll still be able to saw no matter what.  ^-^
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Offline kbeitz

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #52 on: January 31, 2019, 12:56:47 AM »
kinda doubt I'll get anything done today. we got -4F.... I'm ready for spring...
Home made band saw mill.
Machine shop.
Wood work shop.
Weld shop.

Offline Ox

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #53 on: January 31, 2019, 08:26:15 AM »
No stoves/heaters out in your buildings?

I'm lucky in that I have a propane furnace out in the shop.  I go out a half hour before I wanna work and turn it up to 58 and it's good for working when I get out there.  I keep it at around 34 the rest of the time because it's hard on stuff to constantly freeze and thaw over and over again.  I have paints and distilled water and such that I don't want freezing.  It doesn't take much fuel at all to keep it just above freezing and it's well worth it when the paints don't separate and get ruined.  Plus, the metals out there don't sweat constantly and rust near as fast. 

Today I reckon I'll start on running chain and making threaded chain anchors and anchor points for the carriage forward/reverse.  I finally got the mill frame in the shop, and the carriage sitting on it.  Took me 3 days to get everything dug out, hooked up and unfrozen enough to make it happen.  I hate it here and am looking forward to TN.  5 years...
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Offline A.O.

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #54 on: February 01, 2019, 07:23:03 AM »
Continued cutting up some oak logs

And some hickory logs earmarked for my kitchen

And installed (a couple days ago) a new option in my saw yard.

Today is mostly a clean up day.. fridays usually are...

Edit to add: Oooops, I guess those are some older pics of my oak.. but the new piles I made look the same so there ya go! You can see a new pile behind the hickory in that pic!

« Last Edit: July 07, 2019, 08:40:08 AM by A.O. »

Offline Ox

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #55 on: February 01, 2019, 08:14:25 AM »
Good looking lumber.

Offline A.O.

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #56 on: February 01, 2019, 11:35:24 AM »
Good looking lumber.

Thanks, Still trying to figure this all out. I know my Lobloly pine has very minimal shrinkage, Never cut and dried oak and or hickory. I'm cutting my 1 x's between 7/8 and 1 inch thick. Hope that works ok, guess I'll know in 6 to 8 months.

Offline Ox

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #57 on: February 01, 2019, 06:56:59 PM »
All I know is that if you want a finished 1" board when you're done, you better mill it at 1-1/4" so it leaves you room to plane to thickness.

Myself, for my purposes, I mill at 1" and let the chips fall where they want.  I have a board somewhere between 7/8" and 15/16" when it's done drying.  I build with only rough cut so serves my purposes fine.

I'm also not too picky about how my boards look.  They're mostly flat and square and hold up buildings and things.  Can't ask for much more, can I? 

Offline A.O.

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #58 on: February 02, 2019, 07:45:01 AM »
All I know is that if you want a finished 1" board when you're done, you better mill it at 1-1/4" so it leaves you room to plane to thickness.

Myself, for my purposes, I mill at 1" and let the chips fall where they want.  I have a board somewhere between 7/8" and 15/16" when it's done drying.  I build with only rough cut so serves my purposes fine.

I'm also not too picky about how my boards look.  They're mostly flat and square and hold up buildings and things.  Can't ask for much more, can I?

But if I cut them to 1 1/4 then there is SO much to plane off. All the cedar I did years ago was about 7/8" rough when I got it and other than a few boards it worked fine planeing  them to 3/4.

I need to cut some more Loblolly's, I'm running out of skids to stack lumber on. I can only stack about a foot high on them before they get to heavy for my tractor!

Offline HaroldCR - AKA Fla.-Deadheader

• Old Timers Club
« Reply #59 on: February 03, 2019, 02:16:02 PM »
Not actually a fully functional sawmill, ,YET, BUT, I started painting some of the parts today, of the "Jakerson" Peterson/Turbosawmill crossbreed. I cut up the Peterson WPF swingblade sawmill and have used all the pieces I could, to make the single beam automated swingblade mill.

Getting too old to chase the thing up and down the logs all day long.

Going to try to post some photos in a build thread, SOON.  ::)  :laugh:

Offline Ox

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #60 on: February 04, 2019, 09:28:37 AM »
Looking forward to seeing that!

Offline A.O.

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #61 on: February 13, 2019, 08:02:10 AM »
Continuing to cut some hickory for future cabinets.

And after hitting a stop and ruining a blade for the third time in a year, I posted the golden rule on my little mill, sure hope it helps!

« Last Edit: July 07, 2019, 08:40:40 AM by A.O. »

Offline kbeitz

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #62 on: February 13, 2019, 08:39:20 AM »
When I built my mill and read about all the people hitting the stops I
decide to build my mill so that could not happen. See the picture of
my dog stopper.

Home made band saw mill.
Machine shop.
Wood work shop.
Weld shop.

Offline Ox

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #63 on: February 13, 2019, 09:19:58 AM »
I remember seeing that over on the other place.  It's a good idea.  I wonder why more mill manufacturers don't do something similar?  Is there a drawback to it that I can't see?

Offline Crusarius

• Causing trouble and breaking shit
  • Senior Contributor
  • Hmm what does this button d....
    • RockModified
« Reply #64 on: February 13, 2019, 09:29:21 AM »
The way I built mine makes putting one on challenging. I will be adding one though. Since my first stop has been shortened already.

I bet most mfr's are concerned about the sudden stop with power feed options. And since most of the mills have power feed or have it as an option that is probably why they do not have that.

Offline A.O.

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #65 on: February 13, 2019, 12:52:52 PM »
My saw came with one of those stops..

But it only works well when the stops are in the correct configuration...

My problem is I turn them around when I'm trimming oddball takeoff boards, and then if its right at the top it will hit them anyway..

« Last Edit: July 07, 2019, 08:41:17 AM by A.O. »

Offline A.O.

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #66 on: February 13, 2019, 12:57:57 PM »
And more stuff for the day with my mill, or getting ready for my mill anyway. I need some more pallets built, so I cut a couple trees down for the materials to build them, and for some SYP dimensional lumber.

« Last Edit: July 07, 2019, 08:41:47 AM by A.O. »

Offline kbeitz

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #67 on: February 13, 2019, 03:24:05 PM »
I remember seeing that over on the other place.  It's a good idea.  I wonder why more mill manufacturers don't do something similar?  Is there a drawback to it that I can't see?

The only drawback is wondering why the mill head wont move when it does hit something...
Home made band saw mill.
Machine shop.
Wood work shop.
Weld shop.

Offline Ox

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #68 on: February 14, 2019, 09:15:22 AM »
Yellow pine might just be the perfect lumber tree.  Wish I had some...

kbeitz - I know what you mean.  Many times I've chased a problem starting with complicated things first instead of starting at the bottom with simple stuff.

Offline A.O.

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #69 on: February 14, 2019, 09:53:44 AM »
Yellow pine might just be the perfect lumber tree.  Wish I had some...

And I have more than I could ever cut! One of my main reasons for buying my little sawmill!

Offline moodnacreek

• Major Contributor
« Reply #70 on: February 14, 2019, 12:38:02 PM »
Can a circle sawmill chime in here, I see it's under band mills?

Offline furu

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #71 on: February 14, 2019, 01:17:58 PM »
Of course please do
Integrity is not just doing the right thing.
Integrity is not just doing the right thing when no one is looking.
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one else will ever even know.

Offline A.O.

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #72 on: February 14, 2019, 02:07:36 PM »
Can a circle sawmill chime in here, I see it's under band mills?

NO Dammit!!!

hehe..

Absolutely, and welcome!

Offline Ox

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #73 on: February 14, 2019, 03:02:37 PM »
Ewwww.  A circle sawyer?  Hmpf.

Just kidding, of course.

What's on yer mind?

Offline starmac

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #74 on: February 14, 2019, 06:10:26 PM »
I sawed quite a bit before I ever hit a stop, and wondered why everybody did. lol Well finally I hit one and was surprised at how a little band could cut into that iron, in fact I was so impressed I tried it again an hour or so later. lol