alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description

Author Topic: What did you do at your saw mill today?  (Read 149941 times)

Offline moodnacreek

• Major Contributor
Re: What did you do at your saw mill today?
« Reply #75 on: February 15, 2019, 09:19:56 AM »
Started 2019 with a live log w/ stop and load deck. Took a month to put it in. Put a floor in it and skirting on 3 sides. Been rolling logs since 1980 and get sore shoulders now so it,s time.  Next project: pantograph and hyd. lines to carriage.

Offline mountainlake

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #76 on: February 15, 2019, 02:20:29 PM »

I couldn't even get pics from my phone to the computer , now I have a new computer and phone. Maybe in a month or so I'll get pics on here. My wife has figured out how to send pics to another phone already so there's hope .Steve

Offline Ox

• Senior Contributor
  • Trying to learn/remember something new every day.
« Reply #77 on: February 16, 2019, 08:31:40 AM »
moodnacreek - we'd all love to see pics of this

mountainlake - we'd all love to see pics of this

Hopefully the pics thing gets figured out by yall.  I owe the forum some pics too.  After I get the mill done I will do so.
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Offline A.O.

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #78 on: February 16, 2019, 05:12:56 PM »
And yes pics are nice, and sorry if I go abit overboard sometimes...

Offline furu

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #79 on: February 16, 2019, 09:17:57 PM »
And yes pics are nice, and sorry if I go abit overboard sometimes...

You do not go overboard. 
Keep it going/coming.
Integrity is not just doing the right thing.
Integrity is not just doing the right thing when no one is looking.
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one else will ever even know.

Offline Ox

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #80 on: February 17, 2019, 08:07:45 AM »
Sorry?  For what?  You're a good guy and I for one like your pics!  I'm pretty sure everyone else does too!
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Offline moodnacreek

• Major Contributor
« Reply #81 on: February 17, 2019, 08:28:27 AM »
moodnacreek - we'd all love to see pics of this

mountainlake - we'd all love to see pics of this

Hopefully the pics thing gets figured out by yall.  I owe the forum some pics too.  After I get the mill done I will do so.The last camera I had was 35mm. My wife put some on F.F. once, took all night. While everybody was learning computers I was learning sawmilling, now I am 40 years behind.

Offline A.O.

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #82 on: February 17, 2019, 09:13:21 AM »
Sorry?  For what?  You're a good guy and I for one like your pics!  I'm pretty sure everyone else does too!

I sometimes take up a lot of space, I'm kind of a loud person (or so I've been told) maybe that's how I get to be loud on a silent screen! ;-)

And all you guys are way above me in the sawmilling world, big mills, commercial stuff, been doing it for years, stuff like that. I've just got that little manual mill, not sure how interesting it is to you guys...

Offline Crusarius

• Causing trouble and breaking shit
  • Senior Contributor
  • Hmm what does this button d....
    • RockModified
« Reply #83 on: February 17, 2019, 04:33:15 PM »
only thing interesting about my little manual mill is I built it myself :)

Today I was working on changing my mast guides from the metal on metal sleeves to something else. not sure if I want to use the linear bearings I bought or the cam followers.

any ideas?

Offline kbeitz

• Collector and builder of many things.
  • Senior Contributor
« Reply #84 on: February 17, 2019, 06:46:55 PM »
Is this for the up and down? If it is I just used square tubing inside square tubing.
Home made band saw mill.
Machine shop.
Wood work shop.
Weld shop.
Collector of mechanical things

Offline Crusarius

• Senior Contributor
    • RockModified
« Reply #85 on: February 17, 2019, 07:56:18 PM »
K, that is what I have right now. I don't like how it moves. The wheelchair motor really strains lifting it. I was really hoping I could do a set of linear bearings then a single acme threaded rod but not sure if it will resist twisting enough to eliminate the second threaded rod. Especially since I will only be lifting on the 1 side. but the engine fuel tank and battery are all on that side. So I do not know if I am balanced enough to do it. Maybe that should be a task for tomorrow. Check the balance point left to right and front to back.

I have thought about adding a garage door spring for lift assist as well but trying not to make the carriage any heavier.

Offline kbeitz

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #86 on: February 18, 2019, 01:34:10 AM »
I'm betting that your going to need two rods.
Home made band saw mill.
Machine shop.
Wood work shop.
Weld shop.

Offline Ox

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #87 on: February 18, 2019, 08:19:47 AM »
Crusarius - for what it's worth I started out 4 years ago with b7 threaded rod and a stack of nuts for the up/down with 2-1/2", 3/16" wall square tubing over 2", 3/16" wall square tubing for the sliding action.  It's worked fine for many trips up and down.  I had chain and sprocket gearing that allowed 4 turns to the inch and the threaded rod was pitched at 16 TPI so it was easy to count the teeth on the sprockets (as gears) to make that happen.  I used #40 roller chain for linking them.

I've since upgraded to the up/down system Linn Lumber uses on his mills - the acme rods and those nice brass nuts/blocks.  There is no comparison.  It's weird now because this new system has a pitch of 5 TPI.  I simply left everything else alone and reinstalled as it was, just replaced the rods and nuts.  Of course the two rods are still chained together at the top to lock them together to turn at the same time and I used this place to plumb in the wheelchair motor to drive the up/down.  The cranking force by hand is a little tougher than before (going up only) but it moves roughly 3 times as fast!  It flies down.  I haven't tried the motor out on it yet, but with the gigantic people I see these little motors pushing around I think it'll be ok.  I think I'll be able to exit a cut, fly the head up and over the log and fly backwards on the carriage just like the big boys do.  I'll be making the electric system for the motors 24V because it doubles the speed range available and doubles the power (torque) available as well.  For the cost of an extra blemish battery from Interstate I think it's worth it in the long run for sure.

I keep the slides for up/down lubed with ATF/kerosene 50/50 mix occasionally while sawmilling, with a quick spray.  It scraped the paint off of course but then stopped there and I don't see any more wear really.  Theoretically it'll rub right through one day but I think it'll take millions of up/down cycles to get there.  Not in my lifetime!  The threads for up/down get a liberal lubing.  I use toilet brush ends, the ones with the wire in the middle and are formed in a loop with a plastic handle, to wrap around the top and bottom of the nuts for the up/down and this keeps sawdust from packing in the threads.  Just cut the handle off and you have an easily formed brush for multiple purposes.  And they're pretty cheap too.

I've only had to replace one bolt that held on the roller guide on the discharge side because it broke in half.  I assume it work hardened from vibrations and cracked and then broke.  It's the only thing I've had to do after sawing for 4 years and who knows how many bf.  Maybe 25,000 bf?  It takes massive time to cut this much doing it all manually is all I know.  I haven't had to do any more adjustments since the initial setup.  I was very picky about everything being as perfect as possible while building and adjusting and it's paid off.  It's a good design that holds up well.  I followed the plans to a T as far as construction was concerned.

Whew.  Time for a break.

Offline Crusarius

• Senior Contributor
    • RockModified
« Reply #88 on: February 18, 2019, 09:05:48 AM »
Ox I have the same acme  rod setup and am using a 12 volt wheelchair motor. works good. but what I did on the mast making it a 2 post 2x6 design was probably not the best idea. I like to be different and this is one of those times I think it has hurt me.

The biggest issue I think I have is the 2x6 cross piece on top of the mast. It is laying flat and allowing me a good deal of twist which is what I believe is causing my "walking" / "shimmying" down the rails. I need to stiffen that up so it does not twist and that should fix that problem. The other problem with that is the location of it prevents me from mounting the sawframe further back because the engine will hit it and not allow me to go all the way up. This gives me quite a bit of weight hanging off the front of it which is what makes going up so much more work on the poor motor.

Hmmm in typing this all out I just got an idea about maybe just moving the threaded rods forward to lift closer to the sawframe.

I am very tempted to redo the entire carriage cause I do not like how it turned out. Version 2.0 is a cantilevered head....

Been very tempted to put this one on craigslist and build V2.0 I learned a ton from this build and the bit of sawing I have done I am pretty confident version 2.0 will be much more better.

Offline A.O.

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #89 on: February 18, 2019, 11:19:07 AM »
only thing interesting about my little manual mill is I built it myself :)

Today I was working on changing my mast guides from the metal on metal sleeves to something else. not sure if I want to use the linear bearings I bought or the cam followers.

any ideas?

How about sandwiching UHMW between those metal sleeves ? Pretty sure that's whats on mine..

https://www.amazon.com/Molecular-Weight-Polyethylene-Standard-Tolerance/dp/B00CPRDLAW

Offline Crusarius

• Senior Contributor
    • RockModified
« Reply #90 on: February 18, 2019, 11:57:35 AM »
That is a thought to.  I have actually tried that with thin nylon shims. did seem to help a little.

I think I just figured out the ultimate reason I have so much issues. I only used 1 cross piece across the top. currently it is not sitting on the trailer so that piece is flexing preventing any smooth movement. That is why I am fighting with so much bind right now. I do not want to put trailer in shop cause it takes up the entire shop.

I think I need to redesign that carriage with a ladder frame on top to stiffen up the carriage.

Damnit. I just built a toolbox and used some leftover 2x2 that I now need for the new carriage :(

Offline Ox

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #91 on: February 18, 2019, 02:32:20 PM »
Be ready to pucker up when you see the new steel prices.  Seems like about double from 4 years ago.

I saw my latest cut list from my steel supplier a week ago and the price for it and I about sucked the fabric off my chair and I squeaked for a few days when I walked.

Offline Crusarius

• Senior Contributor
    • RockModified
« Reply #92 on: February 18, 2019, 02:49:01 PM »
yea. I order enough I know how bad it is. Freaking blows.

But on a mcuh different note... I ordered a 4 jaw self centering 8" chuck for my rotary table on my vertical mill. The box showed up with a 1" R8 collett in it but the tag said 8" 4 jaw chuck. I ordered it from ebay but was shipped to me as a gift from amazon.

This sure has the makings of a scam on it.

Offline kbeitz

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #93 on: February 18, 2019, 05:54:24 PM »
But steel at the scrap yard is at a all time low.... ?
Home made band saw mill.
Machine shop.
Wood work shop.
Weld shop.

Offline A.O.

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #94 on: February 18, 2019, 09:20:15 PM »
So today at my mill, What I did was I sliced up some more Loblolly to make some more pallets for the lumber I'm cutting...
Just about 5 pallets worth...
« Last Edit: July 08, 2019, 08:07:53 AM by A.O. »

Offline Crusarius

• Senior Contributor
    • RockModified
« Reply #95 on: February 18, 2019, 10:28:45 PM »
China was buying all the scrap we could make to turn it into cheap junk for us to buy back at a premium now steel prices are sky high cause there is no supply (since we sent it all to china) but china stopped buying scrap so the prices tanked.

Lumber is going to be the same way the greedy americans and all mighty dollar are going to guarantee it.

Just look at everyone with property planning on selling their homes so they have it high graded before they sell.

This entire world wants something for nothing. one day it will catch up to all of them. really hope it happens sooner than later.

Offline kbeitz

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #96 on: February 18, 2019, 10:31:43 PM »
A.O. ... Show us some of your pallets... Size?
Home made band saw mill.
Machine shop.
Wood work shop.
Weld shop.

Offline A.O.

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #97 on: February 19, 2019, 07:23:07 AM »
A.O. ... Show us some of your pallets... Size?

There's some pics of them on here somewhere, but here you go.. Oh, and right now most of the stuff I'm cutting is 8 foot, so the pallets are 8' x 40"

PICTURES DELETED DUE TO PHOTO BUCKETS NEW POLCIES

I also built those "drying racks" in the last couple pictures, they work ok but are not very stackable, I have them up to 12 feet. I still use them for the longer stuff.

I get a stack about this big or maybe a little bigger and that's about all my tractor will pick up..

« Last Edit: July 08, 2019, 08:09:51 AM by A.O. »

Offline Crusarius

• Senior Contributor
    • RockModified

Offline A.O.

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #99 on: February 19, 2019, 11:26:16 AM »
Very nice! It scares me to even ask... Whats a a rail system like that cost?