alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description

Author Topic: What did you do at your saw mill today?  (Read 149946 times)

Offline A.O.

• Senior Contributor
Re: What did you do at your saw mill today?
« Reply #175 on: February 26, 2019, 01:34:08 PM »
Looking at some of the stuff Kbeitz has conjured up, I am suprised he hasn't come up with a self sharpener and setter, that works while you are sawing.

I call dibs to be first in line when it comes out!

Offline starmac

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #176 on: February 26, 2019, 01:37:25 PM »
Dad gummit and a few more bad words, I thought of it. But that is ok, you can get the bugs worked out of the first one. lol

Offline A.O.

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #177 on: February 26, 2019, 05:40:00 PM »
So am I the only one here actually milling lumber? I thought that is what this thread was for...

Today.. milling up some 12' 2x6s and 10s hopefully for a roof over my mill!

PICTURES DELETED DUE TO PHOTO BUCKETS NEW POLCIES

« Last Edit: July 08, 2019, 08:13:48 AM by A.O. »

Offline A.O.

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #178 on: February 26, 2019, 06:24:25 PM »
Oh, I even tried my hand at sharpening my blade with a Dremel.. didn't turn out too bad..

Offline kbeitz

• Collector and builder of many things.
  • Senior Contributor
« Reply #179 on: February 26, 2019, 08:02:47 PM »
I'm waiting for the snow to go away so I can see my logs.
I also have one of my main tractors is for a repair.
Looks like I need a new head... $$$ Come on spring...
Home made band saw mill.
Machine shop.
Wood work shop.
Weld shop.
Collector of mechanical things

Offline Crusarius

• Causing trouble and breaking shit
  • Senior Contributor
  • Hmm what does this button d....
    • RockModified
« Reply #180 on: February 26, 2019, 08:08:05 PM »
yea, my mill is in pieces the logs are frozen in a pile of mud. I will not be milling for a while.

Offline A.O.

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #181 on: February 26, 2019, 09:22:59 PM »
Sucks to be you guys I guess!!  I was milling in a T-shirt today! 😳😬🤣

Offline starmac

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #182 on: February 26, 2019, 09:45:36 PM »
Keep your t shirt weather there for a while yet, we are finally going to start hauling across the rivers in the morning. I am hopeing the ice last a while, but no way are we going to be able to finish it like they want. Thety did not want to have to build any ice bridges again next year.

Offline Crusarius

• Senior Contributor
    • RockModified
« Reply #183 on: February 27, 2019, 06:26:47 AM »
I really need to get the trees down where i want my shop and get them out of there before the ground start to soften up. problem is if I get them out of there they will go where I usually setup the mill. Then I will not have a spot to setup the mill. I can't seem to win.

At least I think I finally came up with a good plan for my shop. Going to be a monitor style shop built in 3 phases. Hopefully this gives me the ability to actually do it.

First piece is going to be 20x36 leanto. Then next will be the 25x36 tall center with loft. Then last will be the other 20x36 leanto that will be open for lumber storage and whatever else fits under it.

Offline A.O.

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #184 on: March 02, 2019, 05:12:29 PM »
Well this wasn't really "at" my sawmill, but I broke down and bought myself a set of chaps...

I didn't think my motorcycle chaps would work !

Been cutting trees most of my life, small scale just for my needs, and have never had a set. Got a little close a while back and thought it couldn't hurt.. might even save some hurt!!
« Last Edit: July 08, 2019, 08:14:06 AM by A.O. »

Offline furu

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #185 on: March 02, 2019, 10:41:30 PM »
You can buy about 10 sets for the cost of one minor injury visit to the emergency room.  You can buy a lot more sets for an injury that is more significant.  It is sometimes a bit of a pain to put them on, especially when it is hot, but just remember the cost,  both financially and physically, if you are not wearing them and have an issue.

Good job an getting them, now make the habit of wearing them.

Yes I am a bit of a safety nerd. 
A guy I work with intermittently and I were having a discussion about safety gear and chainsaws. 
Next time I saw him first thing he said was that he should have listened.  He put a 6 plus inch slice in his leg and knee.
He bought himself a set and his father and father-in-law a set  for Christmas after that trip to the ER.
Integrity is not just doing the right thing.
Integrity is not just doing the right thing when no one is looking.
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one else will ever even know.

Offline A.O.

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #186 on: March 03, 2019, 07:15:04 AM »
Yeah, I'm a bit of a safety nerd myself, Heck I'm a certified Motorcycle Safety Instructor, but I just never did the chainsaw chaps, I do the glasses, helmet but not the chaps. But I had an "almost" close call so I figured it was time.

I do think I'll get in the habit of putting them on.

And heck they were only 80 bucks, not too bad. And orange, my favorite color! ;D

Offline kbeitz

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #187 on: March 03, 2019, 07:38:50 AM »
Hey.... At least I bought a pair a few years ago... So I'm thinking
I might try them on some year....
Home made band saw mill.
Machine shop.
Wood work shop.
Weld shop.

Offline A.O.

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #188 on: March 03, 2019, 08:03:37 AM »
Hey.... At least I bought a pair a few years ago... So I'm thinking
I might try them on some year....

Been there done that with a few things!

Offline Crusarius

• Senior Contributor
    • RockModified
« Reply #189 on: March 03, 2019, 08:41:42 AM »
Yesterday I finally got a 3 jaw chuck for my rotary table on my vertical mill. Now I just need to get it centered on the table and life will be good. I was going to machine an adapter but if its not centered it does me no good. May have to go to work and use a lathe to make the centering tool.

Hopefully today I will get some bushings made for my ERTL pedal tractor from when I was a kid so I can give them to the 4 year old on the 10th at his birthday party.

Offline kbeitz

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #190 on: March 03, 2019, 11:48:07 AM »
Just chuck up a dial indicator to help you center up..
Home made band saw mill.
Machine shop.
Wood work shop.
Weld shop.

Offline Crusarius

• Senior Contributor
    • RockModified
« Reply #191 on: March 03, 2019, 04:44:36 PM »
yea. guess I could do that but since it is not restrained at all, every time I move it it will move all over.

The one we just bought at work had a tapered alignment pin to align to the hole in the rotary table. That is what I need. That would make life super easy. the other option since I am holding it down with clamps is to machine an adapter plate with a taper on the bottom and a circle to match the chuck. if I machine it all in 1 shot on the rotary table it will be true and centered.

I think that is what I am going to do. But today I focused on the kids birthday present. got new bushings made and welded into the wheels now I need to prep and paint. his birthday is sunday. hopefully I can get it done.

Offline kbeitz

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #192 on: March 06, 2019, 12:24:31 PM »
Just put a redwood floor down in my home... I would much rather be running the mill.
Home made band saw mill.
Machine shop.
Wood work shop.
Weld shop.

Offline A.O.

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #193 on: March 09, 2019, 01:25:50 PM »
Just doing some more logs, oak and hickory I'm planning on using to build my kitchen.

Question for you guys, remember I'm a rookie still learning. So my mill is "rated" to be able to cut a 26" log, I put a log on there that's 20-23" depending where you measure, anyway, pushed against the stops the log dog handles wont clear the saw frame to push it by... yes I said push!

Any tricks to dealing with this? I was thinking undoing the back dog, saw past its position, re-engage it then undo the front one and go on by. My concern with that big log (for me) on there it might shift and bind up the saw blade in the log.  Pics below.

One oak log I opened up had a bunch of this in it so I took it over to my firewood pile.

« Last Edit: July 08, 2019, 08:14:41 AM by A.O. »

Offline Ox

• Senior Contributor
  • Trying to learn/remember something new every day.
« Reply #194 on: March 09, 2019, 02:12:19 PM »
Take a hatchet or axe or chainsaw to the log and clear away whatever you have to to get the clearance you need.  Meaning cut a notch into the log where the dog is clamping onto the log so the dog will slide in a little farther so it'll miss your carriage.  No big deal - the outer slabs are waste products anyway, as far as sawmilling is concerned. 
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Offline Tom the Sawyer

• Tom the Sawyer
  • Major Contributor
  • Converting logs to lumber at your home or mine.
    • Tom the Sawyer Portable Sawmill Service
« Reply #195 on: March 09, 2019, 03:36:16 PM »
Two things that might help.  Very few logs are perfectly round and straight.  Sometimes you can roll the log enough to get the clearance you need, like opening the second or third face first.  Yes, it means more rolling but it does get smaller after each pass.  :laugh:

The other technique, and I'm not familiar with your model of mill, is that, if you have more clearance on the drive (log stop) side than on the idle wheel (clamp) side, you might be able to lower your stops a little bit below the mid-point of the log and nudge it over enough to get clearance.
Timberking B-20, log arch, F350 flatbed dump,
20' Trailer w/ log loading arch, Princeton forklift, Bobcat S250 w/ Frostbite grapple.  Nyle L200M kiln.

Offline A.O.

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #196 on: March 09, 2019, 03:49:14 PM »
The other technique, and I'm not familiar with your model of mill, is that, if you have more clearance on the drive (log stop) side than on the idle wheel (clamp) side, you might be able to lower your stops a little bit below the mid-point of the log and nudge it over enough to get clearance.

Might look at that.. I was kind of thinking I would slab it out, and selling it in year or so..

Offline Crusarius

• Senior Contributor
    • RockModified
« Reply #197 on: March 11, 2019, 07:11:25 AM »
Did I understand right and the clamps are what is preventing you from cutting? use wedges to hold the log or gravity if it balances right. Then the clamps will not be in the way. Then roll and continue. Most of the time the log will hold itself in place.

Offline A.O.

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #198 on: March 11, 2019, 07:23:04 AM »
Did I understand right and the clamps are what is preventing you from cutting? use wedges to hold the log or gravity if it balances right. Then the clamps will not be in the way. Then roll and continue. Most of the time the log will hold itself in place.

Thanks, I like the wedges idea and it finally quit raining so this is one of my projects today, that and setting up a pistol range closer to the house, always a project to go down to the rifle range to shoot! My daughter is coming out in a couple weeks and wants some practice time/instruction with her pistol, so a new range is in order.

Turning it will also be some fun too, just little old me and a cant hook. ;-)

Offline Crusarius

• Senior Contributor
    • RockModified
« Reply #199 on: March 11, 2019, 07:47:04 AM »
right there with you A.O.

I am my own mexican. Manwell labor :)