alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description

Author Topic: What did you do at your saw mill today?  (Read 150037 times)

Offline Ox

• Senior Contributor
  • Trying to learn/remember something new every day.
Re: What did you do at your saw mill today?
« Reply #250 on: March 23, 2019, 03:27:24 PM »
Still updating and fabricating the mill.  Still a lot to do, but definite big steps are completed as well.  Weather sucks lately so I wouldn't be milling anyway.

I foresee a larger engine in my future.  The Predator twin looks good and has fabulous reviews and some quick and easy ways to get more power out of it.  I reckon I oughta be able to get at least 25 hp out of it.  I'm sure it'll help me keep straighter lumber with all the knotty pine I have to saw.  But it's an 800 dollar bill.  Que butt clench.

I've thought about running a second 13 hp engine alongside the one I already have.  I'd have at least 26 hp and less money involved, but more messing around making a spot for it to live on the mill and belting it up.  And if I "hot rod" those 13s I should be able to get around 28 or 30 hp total which ain't a bad thing.  Plus, the 13 already feels more like a 15, so there's that.  I'd have quite a bit more ponies for less up front money, but more time and materials (another belt, another centrifugal clutch, a double pulley or another pulley for driven band wheel) so the money will probably even out but the power will be around 20 to 25% more I think. 

These are things that make me go "hmmmmmm.........".

Anybody got any opinions or foresight on all this?
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Offline kbeitz

• Collector and builder of many things.
  • Senior Contributor
« Reply #251 on: March 23, 2019, 03:47:22 PM »
My sit up is using a 13hp Honda. Never once have I heard the engine slow down for a cut....
Home made band saw mill.
Machine shop.
Wood work shop.
Weld shop.
Collector of mechanical things

Offline Crusarius

• Causing trouble and breaking shit
  • Senior Contributor
  • Hmm what does this button d....
    • RockModified
« Reply #252 on: March 23, 2019, 04:40:46 PM »
I bought the 22hp predator from HF. Been great for me. was only $700 when I bought it. But definitely worth it. While your at it add power up and down. Its worth it.

Offline A.O.

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #253 on: March 23, 2019, 06:16:05 PM »
Still updating and fabricating the mill.  Still a lot to do, but definite big steps are completed as well.  Weather sucks lately so I wouldn't be milling anyway.

I foresee a larger engine in my future.  The Predator twin looks good and has fabulous reviews and some quick and easy ways to get more power out of it.  I reckon I oughta be able to get at least 25 hp out of it.  I'm sure it'll help me keep straighter lumber with all the knotty pine I have to saw.  But it's an 800 dollar bill.  Que butt clench.

I've thought about running a second 13 hp engine alongside the one I already have.  I'd have at least 26 hp and less money involved, but more messing around making a spot for it to live on the mill and belting it up.  And if I "hot rod" those 13s I should be able to get around 28 or 30 hp total which ain't a bad thing.  Plus, the 13 already feels more like a 15, so there's that.  I'd have quite a bit more ponies for less up front money, but more time and materials (another belt, another centrifugal clutch, a double pulley or another pulley for driven band wheel) so the money will probably even out but the power will be around 20 to 25% more I think. 

These are things that make me go "hmmmmmm.........".

Anybody got any opinions or foresight on all this?

Ox, got any pictures??

Offline Ox

• Senior Contributor
  • Trying to learn/remember something new every day.
« Reply #254 on: March 24, 2019, 08:56:50 AM »
Crusarius - already did power up/down and power feed upgrades!

AO - I'll have pics when it's done and set up outside this spring sometime.  I owe the forum some pics of the equipment and mill because I said I would quite a while back.

Kbeitz - I've seen your mill running in one of your videos - I mill a *bit* faster than that and as such sometimes the knots will cause a momentary drop in rpm and will most often cause a little dip in the cut as well.  With a newly sharpened blade all is well but it doesn't take long to lose that razor edge.  Usually within an hour and then the small problems arise.  I realize if I allowed the blade to cut at a crawl it would likely be flat as a pancake but who's got time for that?  For the ultimate cut/performance/efficiency I believe you have to enter and exit the log at the same speed and same rpm all throughout the cut if possible.  The big boys do it this way and it takes power to do it.  I'm a pretty patient guy but not when it comes to watching a mill cut at a snail's pace.

Another pro for a twin engine setup would be redundancy.  I could still mill with the other running engine after taking off the non runner's belt until a fix is performed.  Plus the fact I'd have one of the only twin engine mills ever.  I enjoy being different.  There is no fun in being "just like everyone else". 
« Last Edit: March 25, 2019, 08:49:13 AM by Ox »
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Offline Crusarius

• Senior Contributor
    • RockModified
« Reply #255 on: March 25, 2019, 06:23:18 AM »
you'll have to let me know what you think of the power feed. that is on my list but long ways down.

Offline A.O.

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #256 on: March 25, 2019, 02:32:40 PM »
Having second thoughts about a scissor jack for my toe board set up. I was hoping to use something without a pump up handle. I could stick it out the side of my bed and crank it up. But with a scissor jack as the jack goes up, so does the point at which you attach the crank handle, get it high enough and it would be unusable due to the bed getting in the way.. hmmm further thinking is necessitated ...

Offline Crusarius

• Senior Contributor
    • RockModified
« Reply #257 on: March 25, 2019, 02:41:19 PM »
you can still use it. as long as you have a universal connecting to the scissor jack the handle will just angle.

Or you do half a scissor jack. just the top half. Then you can either use a left and right threaded rod welded together to pull both sides in at the same time. Or fasten 1 side to a fixed point and use right hand threaded rod to pull the other side in. as it lifts the loge it will also pull it towards the stops.

I am actually working on the same thing as we speak. I think I will be doing a half scissor with single threaded rod pulling towards the backstops.

Offline A.O.

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #258 on: March 25, 2019, 04:20:51 PM »
Or you do half a scissor jack. just the top half. Then you can either use a left and right threaded rod welded together to pull both sides in at the same time. Or fasten 1 side to a fixed point and use right hand threaded rod to pull the other side in. as it lifts the loge it will also pull it towards the stops.

I am actually working on the same thing as we speak. I think I will be doing a half scissor with single threaded rod pulling towards the backstops.

And how would you mount that??

Offline kbeitz

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #259 on: March 25, 2019, 04:41:00 PM »
I used my scissor jack to lift my rollers. I also put universals on the handle.
Works great....
Home made band saw mill.
Machine shop.
Wood work shop.
Weld shop.

Offline kbeitz

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #260 on: March 25, 2019, 04:42:30 PM »
Crusarius - already did power up/down and power feed upgrades!

AO - I'll have pics when it's done and set up outside this spring sometime.  I owe the forum some pics of the equipment and mill because I said I would quite a while back.

Kbeitz - I've seen your mill running in one of your videos - I mill a *bit* faster than that and as such sometimes the knots will cause a momentary drop in rpm and will most often cause a little dip in the cut as well.  With a newly sharpened blade all is well but it doesn't take long to lose that razor edge.  Usually within an hour and then the small problems arise.  I realize if I allowed the blade to cut at a crawl it would likely be flat as a pancake but who's got time for that?  For the ultimate cut/performance/efficiency I believe you have to enter and exit the log at the same speed and same rpm all throughout the cut if possible.  The big boys do it this way and it takes power to do it.  I'm a pretty patient guy but not when it comes to watching a mill cut at a snail's pace.

Another pro for a twin engine setup would be redundancy.  I could still mill with the other running engine after taking off the non runner's belt until a fix is performed.  Plus the fact I'd have one of the only twin engine mills ever.  I enjoy being different.  There is no fun in being "just like everyone else". 

The only video I made was my first cut... I sure did run it slow that time. I run it much faster now.
Home made band saw mill.
Machine shop.
Wood work shop.
Weld shop.

Offline kbeitz

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #261 on: March 25, 2019, 04:46:47 PM »
I got a good start on my second log arch today. I needed a smaller one to take out in the woods with my small loggen tractor.

Home made band saw mill.
Machine shop.
Wood work shop.
Weld shop.

Offline Crusarius

• Senior Contributor
    • RockModified
« Reply #262 on: March 25, 2019, 05:06:51 PM »
And how would you mount that??

a piece of channel as a track and bolt it to the bottom of the trailer frame.

Offline Crusarius

• Senior Contributor
    • RockModified
« Reply #263 on: March 25, 2019, 05:08:35 PM »
this is the left and right hand threaded version

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OjdUz6Fg2i4

you can change that up just by solid mounting 1 side and pulling the other towards it.

Offline A.O.

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #264 on: March 26, 2019, 06:45:21 AM »

a piece of channel as a track and bolt it to the bottom of the trailer frame.

No trailer, mine is stationary in the back yard..

Offline Crusarius

• Senior Contributor
    • RockModified
« Reply #265 on: March 26, 2019, 06:52:16 AM »
ok. a piece of channel bolted inside the rials :)

Offline Crusarius

• Senior Contributor
    • RockModified
« Reply #267 on: March 26, 2019, 09:37:08 AM »
if you want electric you can get an electric scissor jack for quite a bit less.

Offline A.O.

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #268 on: March 26, 2019, 10:05:26 AM »
if you want electric you can get an electric scissor jack for quite a bit less.

I saw that.. not necessarily looking for electric, just something I found in my search.

Offline kbeitz

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #269 on: March 26, 2019, 07:39:08 PM »
Today I seen that Harbor freight sells scissor jacks for $24.00
Home made band saw mill.
Machine shop.
Wood work shop.
Weld shop.

Offline moodnacreek

• Major Contributor
« Reply #270 on: March 26, 2019, 08:10:02 PM »
At my mill today I took the 4cyl. Wisconsin off the slabwood saw and started to mount the 2 cyl. 31 h.p. Duetz  diesel.  I should convert the slab saw to electric but then I would have to run the 270 h.p. generator to cut up the slabs.

Offline kbeitz

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #271 on: March 27, 2019, 06:11:47 PM »
Painted....

Home made band saw mill.
Machine shop.
Wood work shop.
Weld shop.

Offline Crusarius

• Senior Contributor
    • RockModified
« Reply #272 on: March 28, 2019, 06:52:31 AM »
how wide is that?

Offline kbeitz

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #273 on: March 28, 2019, 07:00:22 AM »
Home made band saw mill.
Machine shop.
Wood work shop.
Weld shop.

Offline A.O.

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #274 on: March 28, 2019, 08:12:45 AM »
Today I seen that Harbor freight sells scissor jacks for $24.00

I stopped by a HF last week, they sell 2 different ones, the 35 dollar job is way more heavy duty, and has a mounting plate top and bottom.