alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description

Author Topic: What did you do at your saw mill today?  (Read 150005 times)

Offline Crusarius

• Causing trouble and breaking shit
  • Senior Contributor
  • Hmm what does this button d....
    • RockModified
Re: What did you do at your saw mill today?
« Reply #275 on: April 01, 2019, 06:57:29 AM »
well I didn't do anything at the mill. But I did stuff to the mill.

From the time I built it till now I have always been disappointed with the metal on metal slide mechanism for the mast.So this weekend I added some cam followers to the sliding part to stop the metal sliding on metal. Primary reason for this was to prolong the life of the paint. But the Metal shavings that I had coming off the mast was concerning.

Of course while adding the cam followers I found I did not have the necessary clearance to go all the way down. So I ended up having to space the acme threaded rod out an inch. I think this actually helped me. The threaded rod is now closer to the heavy side of the mill lifting more centered on the load.

Initial testing when I built the mill was 2m 37s from bottom to top. Testing yesterday was 1m 17s till the chain hit the muffler. I am estimating another 15-20 seconds for full lift. I need to change my chain setup to clear the muffler.

I blew the fuse on my multi meter testing the amp draw when I first built it so I was unable to test again but I am sure it is considerably less. Initial measurements said 12 amps. I would hope now is about 7. But I need to get a new fuse and find out.

Offline moodnacreek

• Major Contributor
« Reply #276 on: April 01, 2019, 09:23:40 AM »
My sit up is using a 13hp Honda. Never once have I heard the engine slow down for a cut....
                You ain't feeden fast enough.                      Question, do you guys with the w.m. style band mills really need clutches?

Offline A.O.

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #277 on: April 01, 2019, 09:42:15 AM »
                You ain't feeden fast enough.                      Question, do you guys with the w.m. style band mills really need clutches?

Sure, you don’t want that blade running all the time.

Offline Ox

• Senior Contributor
  • Trying to learn/remember something new every day.
« Reply #278 on: April 01, 2019, 09:45:03 AM »
I suppose technically you could just leave the blade spinning while you load logs or take flitches off.  I tend to throttle down after a cut just to keep the revolutions of wheels/blades/bearing to a minimum.  Some guys never throttle down, even when clutches are used, but only at the end of the day or for lunch or something.  Personal preference I would reckon.

I can see on a manual mill that safety could be a concern.  A blade spinning around is dangerous as hell when one is turning a log or something in front of it.  One mis-step or losing balance could be a horrible situation if you fall in the wrong direction.  On a powered mill all the functions are so quick and easy, leaving the blade spinning might be easier on everything.  I've seen it done both ways and have done it both ways. 

I can see on cold days where trying to pull start an engine with all the wheels and bearings and such trying to spin in the freezing cold would be impossible so a clutch is mandatory here.

In the end, all I know is most every mill out there has a clutch of some sort, whether centrifugal or belt tensioned or electric PTO, or....?  For whatever reason apparently it's just a good idea.  :)
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Offline A.O.

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #279 on: April 01, 2019, 10:01:36 AM »
 My only experience is with a small manual mill, never tried any of that fancy automatic stuff  :o  ;D

Offline kbeitz

• Collector and builder of many things.
  • Senior Contributor
« Reply #280 on: April 01, 2019, 11:26:07 AM »
I added cam followers to my mast to try to stop small osculations and it helped a lot.

Home made band saw mill.
Machine shop.
Wood work shop.
Weld shop.
Collector of mechanical things

Offline moodnacreek

• Major Contributor
« Reply #281 on: April 01, 2019, 12:44:12 PM »
Thanks for the answer, Kbeitz.  My remark about feed speed is true but not so easy or even possible to do. Feeding faster is always desirable right to the point of plugging or bogging the motor. The one advantage that surprised me is how much longer the teeth stay sharp. On a circle with certain logs you almost have to hold back when the log self feeds. That is what the hook angle does.            I here you guys talk of your engines all the time and I wondered about the need for a clutch and also the weight [of the engine]  There are so many old Wisconson's out there , I must have a half dozen. Wood miser offered the small block V4 at one time.

Offline Crusarius

• Senior Contributor
    • RockModified
« Reply #282 on: April 15, 2019, 10:37:40 AM »
I am now officially dual width. I can run a 158" or 176" band.

158" band = 30" between guides.
176" band = 40" between the guides.

I made a nice little saddle that rests on the sawframe for my hydraulic tensioner extension. When not in use it bolts to another spot on the frame.

Just need to square away idle side guard and adjustable blade guide then its time for final paint.

Offline A.O.

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #283 on: April 15, 2019, 12:27:46 PM »
I am now officially dual width. I can run a 158" or 176" band.

158" band = 30" between guides.
176" band = 40" between the guides.

I made a nice little saddle that rests on the sawframe for my hydraulic tensioner extension. When not in use it bolts to another spot on the frame.

Just need to square away idle side guard and adjustable blade guide then its time for final paint.

Very nice, I think I have 21" between guides and 26" max for my saw. And I have absolutely ZERO desire to go any larger! ;D ::) I do not have the equipment or the strength to mess with that size materials! But more power to ya..

Offline Crusarius

• Senior Contributor
    • RockModified
« Reply #284 on: April 15, 2019, 02:27:47 PM »
I dunno how often I will use it but at least it is there. at a minimum it should make selling it easier.

Offline bandmiller2

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #285 on: April 15, 2019, 07:15:15 PM »
My home built band mill has a belt idler type of clutch that also serves as a brake when disengaged. It reduces the flexing of the bands and makes working around it a little safer. I could get by without it as the mill is powered by a 15 hp three phase motor but it saves wear on the magnetic starter and starting current draw. Frank C.

Offline moodnacreek

• Major Contributor
« Reply #286 on: April 16, 2019, 06:35:56 AM »
Frank, do you have electric on the chase also?

Offline bandmiller2

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #287 on: April 17, 2019, 06:49:37 PM »
Creeker, I have a Ford 6cyl. industrial diesel power unit. It is a British Ford Dagenham probably late 50's technology. Last owner supposedly overhauled the engine but the Simms inline injection pump is getting wheezy but still usable. Old mill, old engine, old tractor and ancient sawyer. Its the same engine used in Fordson major diesel tractors, only with two more cylinders. Frank C.

Offline moodnacreek

• Major Contributor
« Reply #288 on: April 18, 2019, 05:30:42 PM »
Frank, I always wanted to put a 401/6.6 Brazil [ford] diesel on my mill. They where a dime a dozen back when the school bus companies where letting them go and they last forever but I went generator/ electric motors instead. That was a lot of work and$ but now only one engine to care for.  Thinking of old time ford tractors, there used to be 48"-28 tooth, style 3 saws around from the days of small trees and fordson tractors for power.

Offline kbeitz

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #289 on: April 20, 2019, 04:01:12 PM »
Well today I cut some thuja ... I never milled any of that before. This will be my first time. Has anyone tried making lumber out of it before?

Home made band saw mill.
Machine shop.
Wood work shop.
Weld shop.

Offline moodnacreek

• Major Contributor
« Reply #290 on: April 20, 2019, 05:17:33 PM »
Are you kidding? That there is the nicest stuff you will ever saw.

Offline Ox

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #291 on: April 21, 2019, 06:42:53 AM »
Never heard of thuja before.  Looks alot like cedar.
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Offline kbeitz

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #292 on: April 21, 2019, 10:19:59 AM »
Never heard of thuja before.  Looks alot like cedar.

Thuja, White cedar or arborvitae.... All the same thing...
Home made band saw mill.
Machine shop.
Wood work shop.
Weld shop.

Offline kbeitz

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #293 on: April 21, 2019, 03:41:55 PM »
Easter.... Sawed Rock oak today.... Sure is heavy wood...
Home made band saw mill.
Machine shop.
Wood work shop.
Weld shop.

Offline A.O.

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #294 on: April 21, 2019, 03:55:57 PM »
Easter.... Sawed Rock oak today.... Sure is heavy wood...

Chestnut oak then , Yes? I think I have some of that around here..

Offline A.O.

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #295 on: April 22, 2019, 08:40:00 AM »
Seems like I spend way to much time cutting lumber for, and building skids to hold my lumber...

PICTURES DELETED DUE TO PHOTO BUCKETS NEW POLCIES
« Last Edit: July 08, 2019, 08:18:10 AM by A.O. »

Offline kbeitz

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #296 on: April 23, 2019, 04:18:12 PM »
Looks like I'm doing White Pine.... BIG load little jeep....
Home made band saw mill.
Machine shop.
Wood work shop.
Weld shop.

Offline A.O.

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #297 on: April 23, 2019, 04:20:20 PM »
Looks like I'm doing White Pine.... BIG load little jeep....

Looks like its been laying around for a while..

Offline kbeitz

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #298 on: April 23, 2019, 05:32:39 PM »
Looks like its been laying around for a while..

It's got 111 rings and it was cut down 10 years ago. So to was born in the 1800's ... I can't believe it's not rotten. Most of it's solid. I'm not sure how I'm going to cut it. It's 38" wide.
Home made band saw mill.
Machine shop.
Wood work shop.
Weld shop.

Offline Ox

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #299 on: April 23, 2019, 06:22:26 PM »
A little chainsaw trimming is in order, eh?

AO - you make good pallets.